Bellazon

General Discussion

Neo52285

I watched the show and although i am not a fan of any kind of reality tv show, i think she did ok.She was really focusing on her english and you can tell she has improved it from recent interviews and from the show,she still has that heavy accent but i like that about her and hope she retains some of it.The spotlight is not on her though,it's on the contestants and the judges a lot more and that's where it should be.She is playing the nice host with the contestants that mostly doesn't criticize them and encourages them.I hope she does better though as time goes along and shows more of her personality ,well that's the director's job to get it out of her,but i kinda doubt it,she is a host and just needs to show it in bits and pieces.I hope the show does well for her sake since she is also executive producer,it caters more to people that are into make up then into drama and i think the show does that well enough.Also she never said she had a bad look in her life,i would like to see her more vocal about what looks she doesn't like in this show even if it is for drama's sake.

I watched the show episode. My toughts:

-about the show itself

I basically watched it only because Adriana is in it, I'm a guy so I don't use make-up so I'm not into this kind of things, and the first 15-20 minutes of creating the looks where you only see the contestants going around and working imo are a too much to endure for someon not inside the business like me, considering that it's almost half the episode's lenght and it takes away precious time that later was needed to show things better.

I was more interested on the photoshoot the contestants had to do with their looks, that imo was the time when the looks come to life and in motion it shows better the artist concepts, but it was too short.

The idea of the models with the looks doing a small runway walk wa also a good idea for the same reason, but it was edited so badly it looked rushed and you coulnd't see anything well enough. As someone said here befroe, it's a lot similar to VS editing on that.

The judging process was interesting too, but I found the guest judge a bit too harsh, like she isn't even a makeup artist, an hair stylist, a model or a photographer, and sometimes I felt her comments a bit too harsh for a not-professional, while Russell and Sarah have all the rights to do that.

If you like the drama of the reality tv shows, the contestants speaking of their lives, their ideas, dreams, and what they think of the other ones, you will like this aspect of the show, which is clearly one of the things they invested on. To me personally is more of a downside, I've never liked reality tv shows and I got an overhall feeling of extreme fakeness from the contestants when they were togheter as a group, but that's my personal taste, not a critique on ABS becuase it's basically a mandatory characteristic of this tv show genre.

I was expecting a bigger involvement of Sir John, while he was not shown much as a mentor, just going around a bit and giving a few tips, but he was completely absent from the judging process, a thing that imo is extremely stupid becuase he saw first hand the creation process and he is the make-up artist there, while the other judges aren't, so it should be his business to judge the technical skills of the contestants, since he is the most qualified for it. Hearing his opinions and expalnations would be very helpfull for us watching too, since not knowing anything about make-up techniques I couldn't understand how much a certain contestant was skilled from a technical point of view or just a talented amateur.

So imo it's not bad for a realtiy tv show, but it could be better if they invested more on the presentations of the looks istead of the creation process, that takes alreayd too much screentime.

-about Adriana:

imo she did really good, her English is really improved a lot, and you can feel the effort she puts into speaking clearly and to tone down a bit her usually more exuberant personality, because as an host she has to, in order to present everything clearly. She also does great portraying the caring and almost motherly figure for the contestants, being supportive even when the judges aren't. She is  emphatic as a woman in real life and that shows. I'm not happy with the very small (almost none) role she has in the judging process, okay she is the host so she can't vote, but they don't even let her talk and express her opinions or suggestions. She only does it twice, with a brief compliment about a natural makeup one of the contestants did, and playfully questioning one of Russell critiques, where even if toned down a bit, her funny personality side gets out. I find very stupid from ABS that, being a show lucky enough to have a huge intrenationally famous personality like Adriana on it, they use her so little, while she is the one the people watching are more interested about. She has personality, charisma, is funny and interesting, so let her show that! I hope she gets a more active role later on the series, and the promo of next week episode seems to move a bit in that direction showing another funny moment with Russell.

btw it seems next week guest judge will be Behati.

1 hour ago, nhlovesadri said:

Has ABS been moved from Thursday to Friday? The officail show page seems to say so:

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/american-beauty-star

The official Lifetime schedule, from this same website, says Thursday, but there's also a 2am replay of the episode, so maybe that's why they wrote Friday there.

34 minutes ago, Souled-Out said:

1. What language is she speaking on her IG stories. I doubt its Chinese, even though she is in China. Why did she stop speaking English again?

2. When was the last time she posted a real photo of herself on IG? I think its been a month

Not Chinese language.

5 hours ago, Souled-Out said:

1. What language is she speaking on her IG stories. I doubt its Chinese, even though she is in China. Why did she stop speaking English again?

2. When was the last time she posted a real photo of herself on IG? I think its been a month

If you mean like that Jaca video or the one with the time ( 08:55 or something) she's speaking in Portuguese, her native language :smile:

8 hours ago, Souled-Out said:

yeah I didn't think so lol. I wonder whats making her stop speaking english this time around. I don't recall her getting hate for her english this time

the fruit she was talking about is also found in brazil and it isn't common around the world

I thought she talked in Portuguese on instastories that also weren't about fruit. I could be wrong though. I think its good when she does speak her native language but when she does that, I never think she does that just to speak it lol, the last time she talked that much in Portuguese on social media was because people were complaining about her english.

7 hours ago, morpheu said:

some promo for the show probably,her and alessandra had the most votes to visit china when she couldn't go so maybe that's why they are shooting with them for chinese tv.

Oh yeahh, I forgot all about that poll lol. That was so long ago.

Ok. I've watched the show. I didn't like, and I do like some reality tv shows like top chef and the voice. Even Project Runway is not really bad.

This was not natural. It felt stifled.

I don't really think Adriana was the problem. She wasn't great, but she wasn't bad. Her English has really improved.

The editing was the biggest problem. I don't believe those were the best comments made by the judges and  the mentor. 

Also, they are always trying to bring drama into these things which was totally unnecessary.

I will keep watching because of Adriana.

Oh... she looked incredible. Great clothes, hair and makeup.

1 hour ago, Kittenluv said:

Ok. I've watched the show. I didn't like, and I do like some reality tv shows like top chef and the voice. Even Project Runway is not really bad.

I don't really think Adriana was the problem. She wasn't great, but she wasn't bad. Her English has really improved.

The editing was the biggest problem. I don't believe those were the best comments made by the judges and  the mentor. 

Also, they are always trying to bring drama into these things which was totally unnecessary.

I agree completely. 

2 hours ago, Kittenluv said:

But the drama part attracts more people,without that,only people that are into make up and adriana would watch(In US).Aren't all these type of competition shows have some sort of drama in it though?