Bellazon

General Discussion

Neo52285

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, does anyone here follow the numbers of copies sold in any magazine issue featuring Adriana as the cover star? I've always wondered why she doesn't get as mamy covers and I just learned that her VP cover did very badly, sales wise. Obviously that one cover doesn't define her capacity to move magazines because there are A--ist models/celebs that also do badly occasionally, but I'm just really curious to know how she does on the newsstands.

I know her GQ cover in 2006 was the best selling of that year.. Her 2008 gq also made some kind of record, I forget what it was specifically. But both ended up being two o the most successful for gq and this is GG US we are talking

From social media it seems like alot of people want/buy most of her covers. But I will say I didn't see her VP everywhere like I do most of her stuff, when it comes out.

I saw last year's stattistics of selling Vogue Paris and Adriana's VP cover was worst selling issue in 2014, in France sold only 96.000 copies. She sells good for commercial campaigns like Mavi jeans, Desigual, but covers as we see not as good. Even in Brazil, Alessandra and Isabeli Fontana are doing more covers than Adriana. Last year was best year for her, she scored Vogue covers, but none of them were best selling. She is 34 and has only 13 or 14 Vogue covers, when Doutzen, Karolina Kurkova, Isabeli Fontana, Natasha Poly and others have more than 40 Vogue covers. It's really strange, Adriana is more popular but still she even hasn't so many reprint covers. Vogue is bible, but there are so many low level press , weekly publications: Caras, Grazia,Revista, Gioia and so on. They often get pictures from campaigns, candids and put on the covers. Miranda kerr does so many reprint covers, but as we see they don't use Adriana's pictures for cover. That's why i think she doesn't sell as well as others and It's really strange, because of her popularity. 

I saw last year's stattistics of selling Vogue Paris and Adriana's VP cover was worst selling issue in 2014, in France sold only 96.000 copies. She sells good for commercial campaigns like Mavi jeans, Desigual, but covers as we see not as good. Even in Brazil, Alessandra and Isabeli Fontana are doing more covers than Adriana. Last year was best year for her, she scored Vogue covers, but none of them were best selling. She is 34 and has only 13 or 14 Vogue covers, when Doutzen, Karolina Kurkova, Isabeli Fontana, Natasha Poly and others have more than 40 Vogue covers. It's really strange, Adriana is more popular but still she even hasn't so many reprint covers. Vogue is bible, but there are so many low level press , weekly publications: Caras, Grazia,Revista, Gioia and so on. They often get pictures from campaigns, candids and put on the covers. Miranda kerr does so many reprint covers, but as we see they don't use Adriana's pictures for cover. That's why i think she doesn't sell as well as others and It's really strange, because of her popularity. 

She has done well with covers depending on what it is. I think it depends on the specific kind and targeted audience. Adriana sells really well for things like GQ.Her covers broke records for them. And Commercial campaigns she sales amazingly, thats why she gets paid so much. She sales more in what she is best at, she is way better for commercial. Part of that is because of her popularity, the other is because of her look and all that. You can't say the same for hf.

I think the lack in Vogue numbers and HF in general is done by choice. She def passed that mark where she can pick and choose her career path. And  a model that has been around as long as her is not gonna just all of a sudden in her 30's score as many covers as she did in one year and so many important ones.

I feel like she is constantly picked on for not being as strong in one modelling as she is another when clearly alot of models have that relationship and its rare a model is equally as successful. And honestly its rare that a model is even as successful for just one kind of modelling. Miranda kerr may get reprints but she has an overall generic career compared to adriana and doesn't have as many bragging rights when it comes to impact of her modelling. Even those you named with all those vogue covers lack in commercial compared to her. I think regardless she is in a good place and is not only so popular but very well paid for a reason. She has one of the highest networths in the industry and has never even touched anything outside of modelling. She's just better for commercial than hf and I don't think that is a big of a deal as people make it. Way too much of a big deal is made about that, I mean they are major assholes, you'd think adriana was a horrible human being.

Thats why I just focus on where Adriana is because you can't knock that, she doesn't have a generic career. And there are plenty of models who are more successful in one area than another

I've sad exactly same that she sells good for commercial jobs, but not HF as good as commercial. Last year was great for commercial models, not only for Adriana. Emily Didonato scored VP, Irina Shayk did Vogue covers, Lily Aldridge. It was strange year for Vogue. I don't think same will repeat soon. (So many commercial girl on the covers) No one thinks about beauty, everything is about sales. Who sales, get covers, that's it. That's why some nasty celebs are getting so many high level covers. There is no doubt that Adriana is commercial model and pretty great one, that's why she is popular and well paid, but Corner wrote about magazine sales and i wrote that whatever we say, fact is that Adriana isn't strong cover model, not only for Vogue, Elle, Harpers and Marie claire, also for low level press. To be strong Vogue cover girl, yes model needs great book in HF, but there are so many other magazines and so many models, not HF stars, but still doing covers. commercial covers too.  Adriana is great place for sure, almost 20 years gone after she started and still doing great. There is no doubt she has amazing career. but talk was about magazines and i wrote answer about magazine sales, not Adriana's status as a one of the great faces in industry. 

Gisele has the most Vogue covers,but she's Vogue Paris November 2013 was the second lowest of that year (100,104 copies).

Thanks for this. She'd also at some point failed for other publications too.

Like I said, that one cover doesn't define her capacity to sell covers, in order to know for sure, we need more info. But I will be the first to admit she's not the strongest cover girl. I love her but most of her covers are hits or misses. Although, not being a strong cover girl hasn't stopped so many others from selling well. I could list a lot of prominent models and celebs that completely failed at delivering.

Also, Kik is right, she does well in commercial. Kia Motors, Maybelline, Mavi and a string of other brands have come out to say she can move products extremely well. More than anything, she's a commercial model. There absolutely nothing wrong with that, Tyra, Heidi, Kathy did alright as commercial girls. I don't even know why Adriana and her team are pushing this high fashion thing so high. I mean, getting a Givenchy campaign and a Vogue cover here and there are absolutely fantastic, but they shouldn't make it there main goal. I feel like she'd do better in magazines like Elle and Bazaar they are great magazines that have a commercial edge to them. Also, I think Adriana doesn't push her covers/eds well enough on social media. That might be a reason?

Gisele has the most Vogue covers,but she's Vogue Paris November 2013 was the second lowest of that year (100,104 copies).

Thanks for this. She'd also at some point failed for other publications too.

Like I said, that one cover doesn't define her capacity to sell covers, in order to know for sure, we need more info. But I will be the first to admit she's not the strongest cover girl. I love her but most of her covers are hits or misses. Although, not being a strong cover girl hasn't stopped so many others from selling well. I could list a lot of prominent models and celebs that completely failed at delivering.

Also, Kik is right, she does well in commercial. Kia Motors, Maybelline, Mavi and a string of other brands have come out to say she can move products extremely well. More than anything, she's a commercial model. There absolutely nothing wrong with that, Tyra, Heidi, Kathy did alright as commercial girls. I don't even know why Adriana and her team are pushing this high fashion thing so high. I mean, getting a Givenchy campaign and a Vogue cover here and there are absolutely fantastic, but they shouldn't make it there main goal. I feel like she'd do better in magazines like Elle and Bazaar they are great magazines that have a commercial edge to them. Also, I think Adriana doesn't push her covers/eds well enough on social media. That might be a reason?

I agree.

I think in the past year she has pushed her covers on social media. Well her instagram, twitter and fb are ran differently. On instagram now all her covers/eds, well most of them, are shared. She doesn't constantly post them, she shares it when it first comes out. But on Fb, all of her work is pushed. The covers/ed/ old VS work/ old ads. And that makes sense because she has more followers on fb.

I think they pushing her HF because sometimes she does get slandered for not being out there as much as she has commercial. I think she wants her portfolio to be as diverse as possible. Like I said before, adriana can get alot of shit just for being such a strong commercial model. People get shady, like bringing up her age and number vogue covers. When you put it that way adriana sounds like a joke lol. Which is why I put emphasis on HF vs commercial. She is just stronger period in commercial and her commercial covers do well, She has broken records before commercially. And her Vogue work that is not edgy but sexy/pretty (commercial like) are the vogue work people like. Her hf covers are a hit and miss because edgy/hf adriana is not as good and appealing as commercial/sexy/pretty adriana.

And I think its ok for her to still extend her work regardless because she is one of the best commercial models but it would be even more awesome if she also had a good bit of HF work. Diversity is good. Even though i'd rather see her hot beautiful shots constantly on instagram than the hf . I was annoyed she posted her marc jacob poster pictures but not her elle US, like come on lol, sometimes I think adriana does not want to be known as the hot sexy model anymore, sometimes I really do think that lol.. But she gonna have to get over it because thats what makes her so big lol

We're on the same page. One thing is for sure, she's not going anywhere. She's been in the industry for more than 15 years and she's managed to outlive all those models, whose names shall not be mentioned, that people compared her with to bring her down.

Yeah thats why I don't get people saying its crazy she has been with VS so long. For one thing she made history. But also, when you stay for a long time with VS, depending on how good you are, you lock yourself in the industry and pop culture. Relevancy is there to stay and people will not forget you. Being with VS so long I also think is what got her to this very desirable position. Not everybody can do that though

Adriana is way more popular when it comes to looks almost like ppl forget she is a model and more like a myth creature.... The other models are more out there to be spoken about by creating attention to themselves, where Adriana is quiet and does her work on the low.

yeah her looks are a pretty big deal. The right person got it though, others be all big headed and still don't get have the attention/popularity and beauty rep someone like adriana does. I don't even want to imagine how some others would be if they were blessed like her

Y'all put the blame on the models but sometimes the covers are just shit because of the photographer, stylist and such, sometimes magazines don't sell because while the cover shot is good the inside is just meh and people are not interested in it. Adriana did get a VP cover but she had no pictures inside :idk: It takes more than just a picture for a cover to move magazines, except for men magazines all you need there is a hot chick on the cover lol.

And it's still so relative, Taylor Swift is basically God these days and I've read multiple times her covers simply don't sell well but that is not stopping magazines from giving her covers or it means that she is a less successful singer.

Well, if it's any consolation, HF has gone down the crapper since they've embraced the likes of Kendull and social media stars. I mean, Vogue Paris put Kendull on the 95th anniversary cover Issue titled Legendary along with Kate Moss, Christy and Gisele so that must tell you the state of HF these days.

As Clauds mentioned, her VP cover didn't have an accompanying editorial which is stupid. You have a well known supermodel on the cover but no editorial? :idk: The average Jane isn't going to pay 6 euros simply for a cover.

The inside issue is also very important.

I look at Lupita Nyong'o's Vogue US cover for this month. It is absolutely terrible but the inside editorial and accompanying articles have made me curious enough to consider buying the issue so it's all relative.

Me too, but when I heard that Annie is going to shoot the calendar I knew that she will probably shoot celebrities, not models... Next year. ;) :)

I more dissapointed that Adriana (again) didn't do Milan Fashion Week... I hope she shows up in Paris.