Bellazon

Fashion Shows in Madrid banned waify models!!!

k_dub

you beat me too it kdub :trout:

:D Sorry that I beat you to the punch, but hey, I started this topic. Best I be on the up and up about this. Don't take it personal, these are 818 ANTICS!!! ;) As far as this being a trend, who knows?! I doubt that will go back to the days when Marilyn Monroe(who was a size 16, I believe) and Jayne Mansfield were famous, but is does seem that curvy women are starting to become more mainstream in our society. I think Victoria's Secret featuring models such as Tyra Banks, Laetatia Casta, and Heidi Klum might be part of the reason why this is happening. They are the only modeling agency that makes clothes for women that are either skinny and slender or curvy and voluptuous. Not to mention, Victoria's Secret 's fashion shows get MORE PRESS than any other fashion show.

Even though I think it's unfair to discriminate against girls who are natually skinny and slender, I wouldn't mind seeing more variety of women featured in fashion shows. After all, beautiful women do come in all SHAPES, SIZES AND COLORS!!!

I doubt that will go back to the days when Marilyn Monroe(who was a size 16, I believe) and Jayne Mansfield were famous, but is does seem that curvy women are starting to become more mainstream in our society.

Just to clarify, although this may be true, a size 16 then is very different from a size 16 now. Even though it's clear Marilyn weighed more than what your average model weighs today (for example) she still wasn't as big as what a size 16 person of today is.

:)

I'm 100% sure it's Madrid, couse when it will happen in Milan it will be a revolution or the end of the world.... :laugh:

Well, I guess a revolution or the end of the world is COMING!!! :bellazon: :war: :lullaby: :blueeyedbaby: Seriously, check out this article:

http://dailynews.com/search/ci_4353850

According to Stephanie Becker, the writer of the acticle that the link up above will take you to, the "mayor of that fashion mecca, Milan, is following suit(with Madrid), promising a similar weight restriction during that city's fashion shows." :ermm: :o Seriously, the day of the waify model is over. :wave:

• 2 years later...

It's such a catch 22.

When I was asked to model I was offered to Europe which demands SKINNY girls.

In Australia you lose your jobs if your that thin.

So if your from Australia you have to be the next big thing & sent o/s or your dropped.

I know this girl that lost weight & lost her Australian jobs as she was too thin.

She stayed in the agency books as she still got a few European jobs but she's nothing special so they ended up dropping her anyway.