Bellazon

Fashion Shows in Madrid banned waify models!!!

k_dub

"Access Hollywood" announced tonight that in Milan, they are refusing to use models that are too "waify", or skinny, in their fashion shows this year. They said that the reason is to have healthy looking models becoming an influnce to young women. Good enough reason, but some models are just naturally slender, so that might seem like models with those type of bodies are being discriminated against. I'm personally don't know exactly how I feel about this. :/ What say you, my fellow Bellazon members?

are you sure it's in Milan ? cos we heard the same news a few days ago about the spanish fashion week...

Milan, Paris and New York are the three fashion poles, they will keep using the models provided by the biggest agencies... so i'm 100% sure the waify models will be on the runway for a loooong time and i like it... I mean, being a model is a job... just like not aybody can be a lawyer or fotball layer, not anybody can be a model. If they start putting your girl-next-door on the runway... ugh, can't even think about it :ninja:

are you sure it's in Milan ? cos we heard the same news a few days ago about the spanish fashion week...

You might be right, Taben. Maybe it was Madrid instead of Milan. If it is,my bad. :blush: The only thing I can be sure of is that Petra Nemcova was on "Access Hollywood" talking about it. She was saying that she was losing weight in order to participate in the fashion show, then later learned that only "healthy looking" models were gonna be used. She also added that is was hard for her to gain some "of that weight back". So if anybody knows where city is in as of right now, let me know and make sure to change the name of my topic if it is in fact Madrid and not Milan.

Taben, you were right. It is MADRID!!! I got the link. Here it is:

http://news.sawf.org/Fashion/20499.aspx

MADRID (AFP) - "Madrid's regional government, which is co-financing the Pasarela Cibeles, has vetoed around a third of the models who took part in last year's show because they weigh too little.

The authorities collaborated with a Spanish health organisation to come up with a minumum body mass -- a height-weight ratio -- of 18 for the models.

Spanish daily ABC said it was the first time such restrictions had been imposed on a fashion show, although a recent wedding dress exhibition in Barcelona banned fashion models who took a dress size below 38 (British size 10, US size eight).

Several models at last year's show provoked a row when they claimed their careers would be under threat if they put on weight. :blink:

Organisers said they wanted to "help ensure public opinion does not associate fashion, and fashion shows in particular, with an increase in anorexia, a disease which, along with bulimia, is considered ... as a mental and behavioural problem".

The event will take place on September 18-22."

Ain't that some shit?! Women in the modeling world are always being told to lose weight. Now, some of them are being told "either gain weight, or you can't PARTICIPATE!!!" :o

P.S. Anybody know how to change my topic so I can change it to Madrid?

u gotta ask a mod :p

about petra... her face looked fucking fat at the rock and republic show so she'll have no problem to be booked in madrid if they want fat girls :ninja:

about what the organizers said... i don't think it's the role of the fashion industry to be a model for young girls... teenage girls aren't the target of the industry most of the time so why should they care ? i think it's the parents job to look after their children and give them a much needed reality check :ninja:

I say dont discriminate against the skinny girls :(

And its the designers clothes and they can chose whoever is best to showcase them. In the fashion world that is skinny girls and I think they should be able to do that.

True on both counts. However, upon thinking about this, to the Spanish perfer their women to look a certain way? I noticed that women, particularly women of color, have a different standard of what is considered beautiful. Black women like Tyra Banks and Beyonce, among others, are voluptuous, and men and women seem to hold them to that standard, and most people are OK with that. Many latin women, like Jennifer Lopez for example, are also voluptuous. I just wondering what is considered beautiful in Spain.

I wouldn't exactly call Petra fat. :p
ha I think it's completely stupid that people refer to models like Doutzen or Petra as being fat... I supose more than half the girls on this forum, including myself, would be considered obsess at this rate then :idk:

i said her face is fat [compared to the rest of her body], and i prove my point:

petraughve4.jpg

that shot was taken during NYFW... also, she apprently said herself she was trying to lose weight... i don't think she's the kind of model that wants to lose weight all the time... more the kind that wants to lose weight when it's needed...

I say dont discriminate against the skinny girls :(

And its the designers clothes and they can chose whoever is best to showcase them. In the fashion world that is skinny girls and I think they should be able to do that.

True on both counts. However, upon thinking about this, to the Spanish perfer their women to look a certain way? I noticed that women, particularly women of color, have a different standard of what is considered beautiful. Black women like Tyra Banks and Beyonce, among others, are voluptuous, and men and women seem to hold them to that standard, and most people are OK with that. Many latin women, like Jennifer Lopez for example, are also voluptuous. I just wondering what is considered beautiful in Spain.

Spanish girls are traditionally more on the curvy side but spanish ppl are just like anybody else: there are curvy lovers and skinny lovers among them...