Bellazon

2018 SI Swimsuit

While I actually like the concept of the shoot, I don't think SI was the right magazine to do it. Let's not kid ourselves this is a magazine that has sexualized and objectified women for 50+ years, so I completely understand why some people aren't thrilled especially when as much as MJ wants to change SI is men's magazine, there's a time and place for everything and while I am a feminist this magazine is the last place where I wanted to see this kind of shoot, I'm (or was tbh) interested in the magazine to see hot girls in bikinis. Whoever came up with this should be fired and just move on to a different type of magazine.

3 hours ago, Prettyphile said:

Not sure what MJ thought was going to happen...... but :rofl: 

McGravey wanted to strip down and take her power back? the fuck.... so some of the models were only in the magazine because they told MJ they would get naked and write shit on their bodies. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

This project, for me and for the other girls who CHOSE to participate, was about TAKING OUR POWER BACK.

This project was a very emotional, long road, spanned over a year. And i was on every one of the shoots. <--- btw that's kinda weird. If it had been a man doing the same thing, he would be known as a creeper/lurker. Food for thought.

Did I...I mean we strike a nerve!? I am not going to waste my time on posting all my thought about her post (and there is a lot I could say) but what I will say is she is so full of it and a total hypocrite :cain: 

2 hours ago, Clauds said:

While I actually like the concept of the shoot, I don't think SI was the right magazine to do it. Let's not kid ourselves this is a magazine that has sexualized and objectified women for 50+ years, so I completely understand why some people aren't thrilled especially when as much as MJ wants to change SI is men's magazine, there's a time and place for everything and while I am a feminist this magazine is the last place where I wanted to see this kind of shoot, I'm (or was tbh) interested in the magazine to see hot girls in bikinis. Whoever came up with this should be fired and just move on to a different type of magazine.

THIS!!!! :thumbs_up: 

I said this about Danielle last year and re-reading it I'm not surprised she got the cover this year, she didn't win ROTY but  :rofl: #NostradramusWho

On 2/2/2017 at 11:16 PM, Clauds said:

She is a model who came out of nowhere and got cast in SI because the senior editor loves her even when she has from little to zero experience and is not even popular or a well known name. It's the perfect "we discovered her and made her a star" story that SI loves to sell, just like it was with Brooklyn, Kate, Chrissy and they all won ROTY :idk: 

3 hours ago, Sanni said:

:bounce:

I felt Hunter was a pawn to make SI seem like they truly cared about the mission of the project. It was totally half-assed and a marketing/PR poly b/c of current trends. The fact Hunter was the obviously the largest model this year and was not given a swim shoot (I know many are thankful we didn't see  her in a bikini but let's put that aside for now :thumbs_up: ), instead a social cause shoot, she was made into a caricature and cliche. I feel overall neutral about her but I personally thought she deserved a swim shot in addition to the project. I mean it is a swim publication and I am pretty sure SI didn't let Hunter know she would be in a project instead of an actual shoot until much later. It could be argued Olivia and Robyn didn't get a swim shoot either but again they are significantly smaller than Hunter. If they were truly all about body diversity, empowerment, shattering stereotypes & beauty standards, etc. Hunter would have gotten a swim shoot, and the larger models would have been in their marketing---not in a supplement project. This is the short version of my thoughts on all this :p 

4 hours ago, Jaku84 said:

Who were in the line up then?

i remember buying the one with Rebecca Romijn in the cover and they were all (at least) recognisable models, if not necessarily those in high fashion (it’s probably when the divergence occurred between the two worlds tbh)

From the top of my head, Ana BB, Brooklyn Decker, Bar Refaeli, Jessica Gomes, Marisa Miller, Irina Shayk, Tori Praver, Anne V, ... I'm probably forgetting a few.

While I actually like the concept of the shoot, I don't think SI was the right magazine to do it. Let's not kid ourselves this is a magazine that has sexualized and objectified women for 50+ years, so I completely understand why some people aren't thrilled especially when as much as MJ wants to change SI is men's magazine, there's a time and place for everything and while I am a feminist this magazine is the last place where I wanted to see this kind of shoot, I'm (or was tbh) interested in the magazine to see hot girls in bikinis.

Exactly. It's frankly bizarre seeing a campaign against sexual objectification in a magazine whose main goal seems to be how to show as much nudity as possible without turning into Playboy. Posing naked for art can be empowering. Posing naked for a magazine which has made teasing its audience with Kate Upton's breasts into a sort of art form... not so much.

Anyway, Lais should have gotten the cover. Barbara looks super hot in half of the photos and has some weird facial expression in the other half, same as last year and the year before. I am not a big fan of Ben Watts' work with her for SI, to be honest.

3 hours ago, PinkCouture said:

I felt Hunter was a pawn to make SI seem like they truly cared about the mission of the project. It was totally half-assed and a marketing/PR poly b/c of current trends. The fact Hunter was the obviously the largest model this year and was not given a swim shoot (I know many are thankful we didn't see  her in a bikini but let's put that aside for now :thumbs_up: ), instead a social cause shoot, she was made into a caricature and cliche. I feel overall neutral about her but I personally thought she deserved a swim shot in addition to the project. I mean it is a swim publication and I am pretty sure SI didn't let Hunter know she would be in a project instead of an actual shoot until much later. It could be argued Olivia and Robyn didn't get a swim shoot either but again they are significantly smaller than Hunter. If they were truly all about body diversity, empowerment, shattering stereotypes & beauty standards, etc. Hunter would have gotten a swim shoot, and the larger models would have been in their marketing---not in a supplement project. This is the short version of my thoughts on all this :p 

Agreed, well said!

Does anyone know if SI have anything on snapchat this year? I haven't seen anything. They have a custom filter (https://www.si.com/swim-daily/2018/02/13/virtual-augmented-reality-behind-scenes-si-swimsuit) so it seems very dumb to not even put up a single story.

They also seem to have forgotten to post a bunch of "uncovered" vids, but that is par for the course.

The lifevr "vr" stuff is garbage by the way. The same tiny model a mile away in a 360 video as last year, and not like the one year where they realised the point of it was to be able to look up and down the model. I haven't been able to try the augmented reality stuff as I can't get a copy of the magazine here.