Bellazon

Trumpland U.S.A

Cult Icon

Republican Data-Mining Firm Exposed Personal Information for Virtually Every American Voter

The GOP’s 2016 presidential upset wasn’t surprising just because it put Donald Trump in the White House; it also proved the party had vastly improved its ability to exploit data, including precision ad targeting campaigns on Facebook. Now comes the fallout of all that information hoarding: A California-based security researcher says Republican-linked election databases were inadvertently exposed to the entire internet, sans password, potentially violating the privacy of almost every single registered voter in the United States.

The data trove was apparently made public by accident by one of the data-mining companies that compiled it. It includes a mix of private information and data gleaned from public voter rolls: “the voter’s date of birth, home and mailing addresses, phone number, registered party, self-reported racial demographic, voter registration status” as well as computer “modeled” speculation about each person’s race and religion, according to an analysis provided to The Intercept.

The leak was discovered by Chris Vickery, an analyst at the U.S. cybersecurity firm UpGuard, who last year discovered an enormous breach of Mexican voter data and in 2015 a 300GB leak of records of 191 million voters. This new incident is more extensive, according the analysis, written by UpGuard:

UpGuard’s Cyber Risk Team can now confirm that unsecured databases containing the sensitive personal details of over 198 million American voters was left exposed to the internet. The data, which was stored in a publicly accessible cloud server owned by Republican data firm Deep Root Analytics, included 1.1 terabytes of entirely unsecured personal information compiled by DRA and at least two other contractors, TargetPoint Consulting, Inc. and Data Trust. In total, the personal information of nearly all of America’s 200 million registered voters was exposed, including their names, dates of birth, home addresses, phone numbers, and voter registration details, as well as voter ethnicities and religions as “modeled” by the firms’ data scientists.

(DRA, TargetPoint, and Data Trust were not immediately available for comment.)

Two of the firms linked to the database, Deep Root Analytics and Target Point, were among three firms hired by the RNC to do most of its data modeling and voter scoring in 2016, according to a December Ad Age story, with a mandate to shore up unconvinced Trump-leaning voters, sway weak Hillary Clinton supporters, and capture undecided voters.

What UpGuard appears to have discovered, sitting on an Amazon cloud storage drive with no password or username required for access by anyone on the internet, was terabytes of the data used to map the voter proclivities and demographics key to finding voters in those buckets. Beyond personal information like religion, age, and probable ethnicity, certain database files among those made public include individual scores for nearly 50 different beliefs, according to UpGuard’s analysis:

Each of fields under each of the forty-eight columns signifies the potential voter’s modeled likelihood of supporting the policy, political candidate, or belief listed at the top of the column, with zero indicating very unlikely, and one indicating very likely.

Calculated for 198 million potential voters, this adds up to a spreadsheet of 9.5 billion modeled probabilities, for questions ranging from how likely it is the individual voted for Obama in 2012, whether the agree with the Trump foreign policy of “America First,” and how likely they are to be concerned with auto manufacturing as an issue, among others.

Most Americans would likely be disturbed that this kind of information was generated about them in the first place, to say nothing of the fact that it was accidentally made public by the very companies being paid by the Republican Party to make it, with essentially zero security precautions of any kind taken with how it was stored in the cloud.

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/19/republican-data-mining-firm-exposed-personal-information-for-virtually-every-american-voter/

17 minutes ago, ILUVAdrianaLima said:

No one should be surprised at what the RNC is capable of at this point when it comes to sheer stupid. I guess Hilary's e-mails are not the only things on a unsecured server? :whistle: I smell irony :shifty:

Dont underestimate the scale of this thing. Personal info of 200 million Americans lol

9 minutes ago, elfstone said:

Dont underestimate the scale of this thing. Personal info of 200 million Americans lol

^ It's only 200 million or so. I'm sure the republican voter base won't mind their info being mined and leaked to unknown factions of the vast World Wide Web :hehe: 

59 minutes ago, ILUVAdrianaLima said:

No one should be surprised at what the RNC is capable of at this point when it comes to sheer stupid. I guess Hilary's e-mails are not the only things on a unsecured server? :whistle: I smell irony :shifty:

Irony is the driving force behind GOP politics these days.  Check out how they're working this health care bill through both houses of Congress and then check back at their big complaints about how the Democrats were driving Obamacare through Congress.

Time magazine asks Trump to remove fake covers from display at golf clubs

Framed Time cover featuring president and the headline ‘The Apprentice is a television smash!’ has reportedly been seen hanging at five of Trump’s clubs

At the top of the page, in capitals, was the proclamation: “TRUMP IS HITTING ON ALL FRONTS … EVEN TV!”

The cover was reportedly on display at four other golf clubs owned by the US president. The image, dated 1 March 2009, had never run in the magazine in any format, a Time spokeswoman said. The real March edition featured actor Kate Winslet.

3 hours ago, ILUVAdrianaLima said:

This is the stupid we have to deal with in the Trump administration and republicans in general :pinch:

I was sooo glad he gave up the state governorship when he tossed his hat in the ring to run for prez. I did not like him when he first started out in politics in Tx as the rail road commish. 
I hoped he would just go away. :dry:

3 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I can't believe people are up in arms over the Mika thing.

I mean sure, it's a disgusting tweet, but is it even in the top ten of most outrageous things he has said/tweeted/done in the past six months? :dry:

I agree. What he tweeted was quite "mild" for him. Not saying it was ok or should be condoned, but he has said/tweeted much worse and yet so few people are reacting the way they are to the current situation :idk::cain: