Bellazon

KJ Apa
Thumbnail

MauiKane

Shortland Street star KJ Apa's dark, sexy take on Archie

New Zealand Herald

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

36knGfO.jpg

Kiwis may know him as Kane Jenkins from Shortland Street, but soon KJ Apa will be known globally for the sexy new Archie remake.

The steamy first promo has been released for Riverdale, and while it does little to reveal the plot, it does a lot to showcase Apa's hot new version of classic comic character Archie Andrews.

Coinciding with the 75th anniversary of the Archie Comics brand, the new show promises to be a dark and grittier take on the classic comic world.

The first episode begins with the death of a fellow high school student, setting off a murder mystery vibe that runs throughout the show.

Executive producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa told Entertainment Weekly: "It's definitely Archie, but a little darker, a little more complex and a little weirder than you might remember from the digest you bought at the supermarket. We're saying it's a little bit like Archie meets Twin Peaks."

Apa, who rose to fame as Kane on Shortland Street, was cast after a four month worldwide talent search. He leads the show as Archie, described in this version as an "intense, conflicted teen" forced to choose between his love of writing and performing music and his football team.

He is already earning plenty of attention for the role, though not necessarily for his acting. Apa's buff body seems to be the main attraction, with MTV, Just Jared, AV Club and Nerdist using it as a highlight, and fans on Twitter going off.

The first episode was screened at Comic-Con earlier this year, where it was met with positive reviews. The Nerdist described it as the best new drama of the season, while comic site Newsarama gave it 8 out of 10 and said it could be CW's best comic book adaptation yet.

The show features Luke Perry as Archie's dad Fred, Zack and Cody star Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones, and Ashleigh Murray as Josie, lead singer of the Pussycats.

Riverdale will bring together many aspects of the wider Archie Comics brand, with producers refusing to rule out whether or not Sabrina the Teenage Witch will turn up at some point.

The show will premiere in America late January. Local screening details are yet to be confirmed.

nzherald.co.nz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

KJ Apa shows his style on the cover of ASOS Magazine‘s Spring 2019 issue, available now.

Here’s what the 21-year-old Riverdale actor had to share with the mag:

On dealing with fame: “The weird thing is that it used to be people calling me by my character’s name — now people come up to me in the street and know my name. Some people touch you and I had a hard time with people feeling like they can have that intimacy with me. Experiencing what it’s like to be on a huge TV show has given me perspective on people. The attention is strange and not comfortable. You put yourself in their shoes and think, ‘If I saw someone like that, what would I do?’”

On industry pressures: “As soon as I started being on camera so much, I became self-conscious, which I never was [before]. Now I look in the mirror and feel unhappy with…whatever. The fact I have to look a certain way for the show, that can be pressuring. There are positives to that too. I’ve found my own style when it comes to fashion. I love monochromatic colors, being in one color.”

On living his best 20s: “It’s easy to put pressure on yourself. Recently, it’s been realising, ‘What do I want as a 21-year-old in life?’ It’s super-important to write down what you want your life to look like in five years. In terms of relationships, battling between staying with the love of your life or being a 21-year-old and not living with regret when you’re older. I look at my parents’ marriage and I think, ‘Don’t you wish that you’d waited a bit?’”

For more from KJ, visit ASOS.com.

kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-01.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-02.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-03.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-04.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-05.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-06.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-07.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-08.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-09.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-10.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-11.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-12.jpg kj-apa-asos-magazine-feature-13.jpg

• 1 month later...

Netflix Movie 'The Last Summer' Debuts First Trailer

The new movie The Last Summer will be released on Netflix in less than a month and the first trailer was just released!

The film stars KJ Apa, Maia Mitchell, Jacob Latimore, Halston Sage, and Tyler Posey.

Featuring several intersecting stories, The Last Summer follows a group of recent high school graduates as they navigate their way through their final summer before taking off for college. As the youths wrestle with love lost and found, form friendships in unexpected circumstances, and take greater control in their relationships with parents, they ultimately decide who they will be and what they will do as they stand on the precipice of adulthood.

The movie will be released on the streaming service on May 3.

• 2 weeks later...