Bellazon

Veronica Mars

Adrianas Llama

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

SOS Update: Veronica Mars Not Canceled

post-2553-0-1446056134-70345_thumb.jpg

A little update on the winner and runner-up of this year's Save One Show campaign.

As I mentioned in the latest chat, Veronica Mars executive producer Rob Thomas is the special guest of this week's Watch with Kristin show on the Vine. Although you'll have to wait till Monday morning to see the entire show, I wanted to get out one message right away.

According to Rob Thomas, Veronica Mars has not been canceled. At least not yet. He is meeting with the CW next week to pitch ideas for season four, and the show's fate will be decided after that.

You may have seen the report in USA Today that VM has been canceled, and also Enrico Colantoni's interview in the Toronto Star, saying that the CW did not love the 10-minute presentation of an FBI version of the show. But according to Thomas, the CW has not yet seen the FBI presentation and there most definitely is still hope for a season four.

Don't know about you, but that's news so good it almost makes me weepy.

Rob (who couldn't have been a better guest) gave more scoop on the show's fate and also the big love triangle (including some interesting, season-ending dish on Logan and Veronica). So, make sure you check back Monday for that.

Have you been enjoying season one, Ben? :)

i didn't see the first episods... nor the last ones :rofl: and when i saw it was beeing broadcasted again it was season three already :| which i'm enjoying so far, i must say, i'm not disappointed at all :p i'm planning on buying the DVD's, i want to see all episods, and in their original version :hehe:

• 3 weeks later...

From The L.A. Times:

The CW's fall lineup: 'Veronica's' out, the 'Dolls' are back in

You knew it was coming, The CW has canceled "Veronica Mars." On the renewal front, "One Tree Hill" is returning -- but it will be held until midseason and the show will fast-forward four years through college. Also returning in midseason -- "Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll"...

(I sort of needed to vent this somewhere)

Sad to see the show go but it was good while it lasted. It's hard to really factor in what exactly caused its demise. My guess is that it was due to its mixture of genres. I'm guessing that the older audience didn't want to see a teen drama and the younger audience didn't want to see the mystery of the week format. However, that's precisely why I enjoyed it so much. It was something new which I hadn't really seen on TV before. It had solid character development, more realistic dialog, murder mysteries that were complex but not convoluted, and the season long mystery. (Hear that Lost, they actually know what's going to happen and employ foreshadowing instead of just creating more and more mysteries and then resolving what Jack's tattoos mean which no one cares about).

I came in on this show late in season one and quickly realized what I was missing. Unfortunately now I know what I'm missing which is depressing when you think about it. I'm sure come Tuesday nights this fall I'll think about it once or twice but I can still watch the Unit and/or House which are defintely great shows in their own. So I won't exactly lament it's passing. It's just in the rigid format structure of network TV, House solves the case and spouts jargon I don't understand or CSI finds clues to find out the murderer. While those can be enjoyable and I generally like those programs, I like how in VM there was a scope to how this was a show about the main character's life AND her detective work. Somehow both of those elements would intersect for the episode. And the mystery would unveil an aspect of the world she lives in. Thus her world becomes real and at the same time there's a mystery that is fairly entertaining.

I've heard people say they don't like this last season (Season 3) because it seemed dumbed down a little bit. Smaller mystery arcs and such. Less development time for the big mystery and such. They tried to make it more formulaic and it still didn't catch on. Then they wanted to send her to FBI to save the show. I'm more interested in what's happening now. They want to make the show into an even more repeatble format (which knowing RT would still be sweet) but it seems to me all the network is saying we have to dumb this show down to make it acceptable.

But maybe I'm overanalyzing this show too much. It's sad that great programs that fall outside of predictible formats seem to suffer in the ratings. Ask the fans of short lived shows like: Smith, Wonderfalls, Firefly, etc. Just be glad this show was never on the FOX network or it wouldn't have lasted past season one...unless it was slotted after American Idol or something but it seems FOX knows how to kill shows.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they were trying to parallel the vote for "Mars" with the show's cancellation status. Thus by casting a vote for Sheriff Mars the viewer would be urged to vote the save the show. Is that a stretch? Most likely? Unless the writers said what would have happened next season, they never said who won the election.

• 2 weeks later...