Bellazon

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Cult Icon

I've seen elements the original Japanese films, comics, tv show...don't like Scarjo as the protagonist.  TBH I expect to see a Japanese woman as Major.

The cherry picked visuals look great though.  My guess is that it'll be an average movie like Total Recall 2 or bad like Aeon Flux.

I'd love to see a good adaptation of this, however I think it'll be a very hard thing to transition into live action.

Nothing against Scarjo, but it would have been great to have seen someone like Rinko Kikuchi in the lead role. While studios inevitably make decisions that they feel will guarantee profit, movies like Life of Pi and Memoirs of a Geisha stand as proof that you can adapt a foreign story into a big Hollywood production, stick to the cast's original ethnicity and still rake in the cash.

I'd prefer if they use a tall, athletic woman for the role.  I don't know of any asian actress that could be suitable, but most certainly they would have to be inhumanly good looking but robotic looking woman.  She also with a perfect, curvy and sexy body

according to the story, only a small portion of her brain is still her original organic self.  The rest of her is entirely cyborg.

1448489223-d82f49be9e53cdc71bad34722bfa4

Yeah, to be fair, Kusanagi isn’t in her original form when we first meet her in the anime. If I'm remembering it right, she was given a generic looking body designed to help her blend into crowds. She’d likely have the most nondescript appearance possible, which ordinarily would rule out an actress like Scarjo, who stands out a mile in the trailer. :laugh:

I have to say, from what I’ve seen, the preview clips of the movie don't give me a great deal of confidence in it. It looks like it'll take place in roughly the same world, but I can see them steering it in a full-on mainstream blockbuster direction, rather than trying something a bit more thoughtful. The original story was similar to Blade Runner in its setting and tone, both are slow burning with a lot of empty, quiet moments and morally ambiguous characters. Of course there are action scenes too, but a fairly economical approach is taken to them. I'd really love to see a modern version of that, instead I think the best case scenario here is probably that we get a casually entertaining, stylish action flick.

I never saw the TV series, although I remain tempted to give it a look at some point. From what I understand, it's still loosely based on the original material and shares main characters, a similar world-setting and sometimes makes reference to scenes from the movie, but they take place in different timelines with different styles and stories.

Stumbled upon this on YouTube today, comparing the opening moments of the movie with those of the original anime. :hehe:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

It also has a rather underwhelming opening weekend at the box office.

I wonder if this is down to a general lack of interest in the intellectual property or a backlash against the white-washing in the casting of the movie. Or perhaps a combination of both.

Maybe ScarJo (who sucks IMHO) isn't the star that the producers thought she would be.

Marget Robbie was the first pick for Major..I would have preferred her if only for her looks :-p

I heard the movie was decent but flawed.  It's best part was the outstanding visuals.

2 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Maybe ScarJo (who sucks IMHO) isn't the star that the producers thought she would be.

Marget Robbie was the first pick for Major

I heard the movie was decent but flawed.  It's best part is the outstanding visuals.

I'm not sure if ScarJo is the problem. She did a good enough job getting butts in the seats for "Lucy" (463 million worldwide box office take against a 40 million budget), which is also a sci-fi action vehicle.

I actually believe part of the lukewarm critical reception might be down to some critics having waited to savage this film for their failure to cast an Asian/Japanese actress in the lead role.