Bellazon

Logan (2017)

Michael*

Logan-Poster-Hugh-Jackman-Wolverine-3.jpg

Logan

Release date: March 3, 2017

Director: James Mangold

Synopsis

Set in 2024, Logan and Professor Xavier must cope with the loss of the X-Men at the hands of a corporation led by Nathaniel Essex. With Logan's healing abilities slowly fading and Xavier's Alzheimer's hampering his memory, Logan must defeat Essex with the help of a young girl named Laura Kinney, a female clone of Wolverine.

Cast

Hugh Jackman - Logan / Wolverine

Patrick Stewart - Charles Xavier / Professor X

Dafne Keen - Laura Kinney

Stephen Merchant - Caliban

Richard E. Grant - Dr. Zander Rice

Boyd Holbrook - Donald Pierce

Doris Morgado - Maria

Elizabeth Rodriguez - Gabriela

So, the full trailer for Jackman's last outing as Wolvie, and presumably Stewart's last as Xavier, is here. :hehe:

In many ways, I consider 'The Wolverine' an underrated film, albeit one that falls apart somewhat near the end. It seemed to suffer at the time from its promotional campaign, which managed to convince people that it was another 'something explodes then the hero says something funny' action film. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :laugh:

This one looks very different from anything the series has delivered up to now, though. It's probably by necessity as Fox doesn't have the rights to most of the characters involved, but the 'Old Man Logan' elements are seemingly being kept to a minimum. To be honest, since I never really cared for a lot of the stuff in the book, I'm not too put out by that.

Publicity stills for Logan and Xavier. They really are hammering home the point that this is the end for Jackman as Wolverine, which also means that someone's going to have some rather large shoes to fill in the near future. What I find quite funny is that Patrick Stewart is in his late seventies and doesn't appear to age, so presumably they needed extensive makeup to make him look somewhere in the vicinity of his real age. :rofl:

loganjpg-f9add6_765w.jpgFirst look at Patrick Stewart as Professor X in LOGANFilmAnimation.jpg

22 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

This seems to get a little inspiration from "Old Man Logan" but it's very faint.

I get the impression that they initially liked the idea of an Old Man Logan adaptation, then realised they wouldn't be able to do much of it without a cease and desist letter from Disney landing on their doormat. :laugh:

So I would expect this to perhaps borrow some of the emotional tones and plot points of Old Man Logan, but probably woven into a narrative closer to Death of Wolverine. Mostly, I'm really fascinated by the grounded, non-superhero vibe.

I wonder if it's possible to PG-13 OML?

btw, one of the big comic book artists died recently.  Steve dillion did wolverine, punisher, preacher, and lots of other things.

TBH I thought his artwork was mediocre and boring- I usually avoided his work whenever I saw it.

On 10/23/2016 at 5:47 PM, Cult Icon said:

I wonder if it's possible to PG-13 OML?

btw, one of the big comic book artists died recently.  Steve dillion did wolverine, punisher, preacher, and lots of other things.

TBH I thought his artwork was mediocre and boring- I usually avoided his work whenever I saw it.

It looks like they're doing the r-rated thing this time, partly I suspect because the Wolverine character is one of the 'darkest' of the X-Men, but mostly because the success of Deadpool earlier this year proved that a comic book film with an r-rating can work, and still rake in the big bucks at the same time. :laugh:

Yeah, the news about Steve was very sad. I remember his style of artwork leaving me rather cold at first, but as I got used to it, I grew to appreciate how well his visuals and Garth Ennis's stories complemented each other. Their collaborations on Preacher, Hellblazer and Punisher will always be among my favourites.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Dafne Keen an English-Spanish child actress, best known for playing the role of Ana "Ani" Cruz Oliver in the television series The Refugees.

In 2017, she will portray a mutant named Laura Kinney in the upcoming film Logan.

Born: 2005, Spain

___dkeen180217BZNimage1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the theatres to see this, and I LOVED it. I've never gotten into the X-Man franchise despite meaning to so I've only see two of the movies outside of Logan but the movie stood alone wonderfully. Dafne was amazing. I really hope they hold onto her and don't recast going forward. Definitely got teary at the end. :cry: 

On 3/15/2017 at 3:24 AM, toodarnhot said:

Just got back from the theatres to see this, and I LOVED it. I've never gotten into the X-Man franchise despite meaning to so I've only see two of the movies outside of Logan but the movie stood alone wonderfully. Dafne was amazing. I really hope they hold onto her and don't recast going forward. Definitely got teary at the end. :cry: 

Just out of curiosity, what are the two X-Men films you've seen? :smile:

On 3/15/2017 at 7:19 PM, Michael* said:

Just out of curiosity, what are the two X-Men films you've seen? :smile:

The original X-Men from 2000 and then the Wolverine movie from 2009 but I honestly couldn't recall anything from that one. 

I went with my roommate who hasn't seen a single X Men film, and she loved it too. Seems to be a real crowd pleaser with general audiences and the comic book crowd. 

On 3/15/2017 at 8:18 PM, toodarnhot said:

The original X-Men from 2000 and then the Wolverine movie from 2009 but I honestly couldn't recall anything from that one. 

For me, the original X-Men film still stands up today, although there are a few missteps here and there. But the first Wolverine movie, man, that's a rough introduction to the franchise. :laugh:

So now, having seen Logan, do you think you'll watch the rest of the series?

• 4 weeks later...