Bellazon

Nightmare Fuel: The Thread

Cult Icon

On 7/15/2017 at 2:42 AM, Niels von Wittelsbach said:

A big thank to you ....

I wonder if we know the number of millions injured after the Second World War .... It must have been scary .... !! ....

The authorities were in front of very serious emergencies .... They had no time to develop statistics ....

We must show our Gratitude to all those who have stood fast .... Stood Firm ....

The figure is mind boggling, but makes sense given the attrition rate in the Eastern Front.  There were offensive operations all the time outside of mud season.  

The Red Army's official stats according to one of my books (IIRC) was something like 35 million dead, missing, and wounded, (of this figure, 8 million KIA, 3.5 million missing or died in Axis camps).  Men were often hospitalized as a casualty and then cycled back into combat after recovery, where they either were wounded again or died/MIA.

Germany's losses in the war was high but not nearly at Soviet levels given the much smaller population base.

To me, the war in Russia was the most extreme war ever fought by mankind. 

Stalingrad .... Total War .... " Time is Blood " .... Children .... Famine .... Extreme Cold ....

In Moscow, near The Red Square, there is always a lot of people ( unlike the picture ) around the Monument The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier ....

I was very surprised to see couples on their wedding day .... The young woman is often photographed in her white wedding dress ....

It must be a Tradition ....

Moscow,_Tomb_of_the_Unknown_Soldier,_Rain.jpg

The first thought I have is that ^^ 2.7 million military casualties in 6 months on the Northern wing of the Southern Soviet Union (Case Blue and the Road to Stalingrad is probably my favorite subject in this area) 

When I think of the Eastern Front, the first image I have is of the massed Soviet offensive.

^

I'm cold and clinical about it. I'm at a point where nothing surprises me.  When I started reading  (especially about the third reich and Japan) as a boy it was thrilling, like I was reading horror novels that excelled all fiction.  It sometimes made me angry and sad.  It often made me question and think more critically about what was around me.  So I never read fiction novels (except for comics) ever again.  But eventually I reached an understanding where I could have empathy with all participants and not finger-point.  It took a long time and a lot of work to reach that vantage, though.

icebreaker:

Naked-gun-Frank-Drebin-Leslie-Nielsen-laughing-platoon-1382708322r.gif?id=

The German youth sent to a massacre ..... Lives stolen by madness ....

When I was student in Germany I met a law student ....

He was passionate and even more obsessed by the crimes of Nazi doctors .... After brief moment I told him " Stop I have enough ... !!! .... "

You certainly know this sadly famous quote from Stalin " One million deaths is a statistic, one death is a tragedy " .....

^

The Nazis created and practiced a "new morality" that is incomprehensible to modern people.   Although by modern norms, the morality of Imperal Germany (2nd Reich) was also hyper militaristic and statist.

In the last months of the war the saying of "Enjoy the war while you can, peace will be terrible" was circulated.  I don't 100% understand this but I interpretated it as this:  Fighting the war was the goal- the great crusade to change the course of human history.  It was no longer about winning.  In the 1941 German General Staff diaries (I read them in 2016), the German planners had concluded they lost the war.  Yet, per their reason of being and life purpose, they continued until the bitter end.  The unit cohesion of German forces was impressive given their circumstances and this attitude was part of it.

The activities of post-war German veterans associations is quite interesting.  They've done more serious work in producing histories and such than US veterans associations.  It's like Americans went back to living in peace, while for the associated German veterans who became historians, the war was with them until the end of their days, and they were proud.

3 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

The Nazis created and practiced a "new morality" that is incomprehensible to modern people.

Unfortunately, I think the morality of the Nazis is not incomprehensible enough to all modern people.

^

I kind of see where you are going with that although I have never seen anybody who's desire is to ethnic cleanse half of europe and use its resources to turn itself into a global superpower!  And then communicate about these things in a business like fashion...

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the newly translated book (that examines how the data was gathered and recalculates it)

https://www.amazon.com/Price-Victory-Armys-Casualties-Patriotic-ebook/dp/B072QCCM2P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504015689&sr=8-1&keywords=price+of+victory

The recalculated Soviet figures are roughly:  6.3 million KIA, 3.3 million MIA, 14 million wounded (included in this is 2.6 million disabled by injury),   for a total of 23.6 million military casualties.

The total Axis military casualties on the Eastern front are ~7 million men.

The research work does not analyze the Soviet civilian death toll, which was higher than the military.