Bellazon

Nightmare Fuel: The Thread

Cult Icon

My thoughts now on it is that I find the game's story to be so inauthentic and repulsive that it makes it hard for me to spend more time reviewing the playthroughs of the gameplay and world building, which is otherwise a 9 out of 10. 

It reminds me of scat art and other modern art pieces that are designed to shock people and force them to think.   Basically the formula is this:

instead of using a traditional sequel format with a happy ending, they chose a negative path:  Basic Revenge Story/morality tale  + downfall of main characters/ misguided and miserable anti-heroes   + Inversion of traditional hero tropes to LGBT.    They did this despite the fact that the first game was not heading in this direction in any substantial way.  Nor did the fanbase desire such a fate to befall the main characters.

My interest is piqued in why the game was made.  No conspiracy theories, rumors, or made-up opinions, but actual facts on why the company chose to eschew a traditional and satisfying story and opt for something that seems intentionally designed to sicken and shock players.   My personal hunch is that they are trying to be innovative in storytelling and know that the infamy & unusual nature of the game's story is something that will be talked about for some time to come & bring them a lot of attention.  Maybe the directors of the game feel like they are spearheading some sort of new trend by subverting traditional storytelling tropes into LGBT.

If they just did the traditional sequel format and gave fans what they wanted, they game would be still reviewing 9.5 out of 10 and people would love it, instead of having so many people hate it.   They had success handed right to them in a bag- given that the OG was one of the most beloved games of the 2010s.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:34 PM, Cult Icon said:

good stuff

This is one of the best Assassin's Creed. I love Ancient Egypt and this game is really beautiful. They could've made the story a little bit more complex, but that was still very enjoyable.

@Enrico_sw  30 minutes of Assasin's Creed Valhalla leaked.

https://www.google.com/search?q=30mins+of+Assassins+Creed+Valhalla+leaked&oq=30mins+of+Assassins+Creed+Valhalla+leaked&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3.3750775j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The game comes across as extremely influenced by the History Channel's Vikings show, The Last Kingdom, and the Witcher 3.  The footage looks so much like the Witcher 3 in the beginning of the game., with a lot of horseback riding.

This game is produced  by an indie developer- supposedly with a staff of 15 people.  It looks like they borrowed From Software's Bloodborne/Dark Souls 3 engine and made an interesting Soul Reaver/Dark Souls hybrid.  It does come across as being low budget but pretty good for this type of game.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:31 PM, Enrico_sw said:

This is one of the best Assassin's Creed. I love Ancient Egypt and this game is really beautiful. They could've made the story a little bit more complex, but that was still very enjoyable.

Yea agreed, I really enjoy the artwork and their take on Ancient Egypt.  Some of there death notes/last words of the franchise pretty timeless, I enjoy rewatching them sometimes.  Assassin Creed's take on Atlantis and Ancient Greece is also intriguing.  It's funny that the Great pyramids are just outside of Cairo. movies tend to make it seem like they are in the middle of the desert.

The death notes I enjoy the most are those that have to do with the nature of power.  Some of Origins' death notes remind me Hitler's ambitions, particular as interpreted by the very insightful book "Hitler and the Power of Aesthetics".

8 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

@Enrico_sw  30 minutes of Assasin's Creed Valhalla leaked.

https://www.google.com/search?q=30mins+of+Assassins+Creed+Valhalla+leaked&oq=30mins+of+Assassins+Creed+Valhalla+leaked&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3.3750775j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The game comes across as extremely influenced by the History Channel's Vikings show, The Last Kingdom, and the Witcher 3.  The footage looks so much like the Witcher 3 in the beginning of the game., with a lot of horseback riding.

Looks good. I don't mind them being influenced by great games, it's always good to try to get positive influence.

I like the kicks in the video, they are brutal :laugh: The guys are sent flying 5 meters away. I always thought that kicks are underused in video games, yet they are the most powerful limbs, much more so than our fists.

24 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Looks good. I don't mind them being influenced by great games, it's always good to try to get positive influence.

I like the kicks in the video, they are brutal :laugh: The guys are sent flying 5 meters away. I always thought that kicks are underused in video games, yet they are the most powerful limbs, much more so than our fists.

the footage looks very rough it seems, yeah the fighting looks weird.  

It seems to me that the Assassin's Creed franchise became less and less about Assassins and more like an open world action/adventure RPG

The trailer for AC Vikings bears particularly strong resemblance to the TV show, even the costumes and faces are similar.

^ The assassin part was already decreased in Origins. I guess they want to ride the wave of RPG successes (like the Witcher 3).

I never really liked the phases in the present (with Desmond, Layla and all these guys). I feel they just take some time for some uninteresting plot. I hope they are kept minimal like in origins.