Bellazon

Nightmare Fuel: The Thread

Cult Icon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I listened to a sharp, highly informative NYU lecture presenting scientific surveys of people who saw visions during/after loss of conscious. Then they were clinically dead and brought back to life.  They tend to see a familiar set of visions, including things like the tunnel vision scene in 2001: space odyssey or the film cliche' of a person's life being replayed in tightly edited, fast motions .  Or visions of dead relatives and/or God.

The scientific consensus is that these visions are not religious mysticism or magic but brought upon by a sudden joint of brain activity prior to death where time is compressed so it seems long than it is.  These same visions/hallucinations can also be triggered by the consumption of certain psychedelic drugs.  They can be very individual and reflect what was also embedded within the particular person's mind.

So the insights of "Tibetan book of the dead" are probably not related to reincarnation, but the hallucination process and stripping away of the ego in the face of finality.

3 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

@Michael*  Kojima's new and very weird game:

I'm imagining the story as Kojima in overdrive, but I do love that someone has worked on building something genuinely new instead of just re-hashing old mechanics and designs that we've seen many times over. The shared-world aspect looks interesting too, I'm really curious as to how the promised interactions with other players are going to work. Like if I wait a while and play the game later, am I going to find a world that's been thoroughly traversed and that some of the problem solving is already done? If so, I'd like to think there'll be a way to set a limit on that. Maybe each server is maxed by a certain amount of players, or you're only paired with folks who have similar experience.

10 hours ago, Michael* said:

I'm imagining the story as Kojima in overdrive, but I do love that someone has worked on building something genuinely new instead of just re-hashing old mechanics and designs that we've seen many times over. The shared-world aspect looks interesting too, I'm really curious as to how the promised interactions with other players are going to work. Like if I wait a while and play the game later, am I going to find a world that's been thoroughly traversed and that some of the problem solving is already done? If so, I'd like to think there'll be a way to set a limit on that. Maybe each server is maxed by a certain amount of players, or you're only paired with folks who have similar experience.

It seems like after Metal Gear, he got a lot of creative freedom again.  Reviews have been calling this "self-indulgent".  I do like how it's pushing boundaries as to what a game is and its experimental aspects.   It also has a lot of motion capture from a couple actors.

So far I don't understand it yet.

9 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

It seems like after Metal Gear, he got a lot of creative freedom again.  Reviews have been calling this "self-indulgent".  I do like how it's pushing boundaries as to what a game is and its experimental aspects.   It also has a lot of motion capture from a couple actors.

So far I don't understand it yet.

Yeah, I think Kojima's career has reached a point now where no-one is going to edit him, so the story will almost certainly end up being something that people either go all in and really love or look at from a distance and go "that's weird and dumb."

Overall though, it seems like he considers marketing for games as being almost like a game in itself. He probably likes the idea of his audience having to come together to try and decipher it. :D

^

Yeah it bears his habit of making the game constantly weird and mysterious, and also features his very awkward depiction of what white people are supposed to be like  :rofl:

What is refreshing about the game is how the main character is rarely holding a gun and shooting at things.  However I haven't seen enough to know where the fun part comes in and what the gameplay is about yet.