Bellazon

Lily Nova
Thumbnail

balenciagaaa

Sixteen-year-old Lily Nova has only been signed with Adelaide agency Finesse Models for a few months, but she’s quickly making her face known around town, with appearances in local favourites like the Adelaide* Magazine and South Australian Style. Deputy editor Lucy Ahern chats Beyoncé, LBDs and being scouted with the flame-haired beauty.

Congratulations on your exposure so far! How did you first get into modelling?
Thank you! I think I’m still in a slight state of shock with how everything’s going for me so far. I was attending the Adelaide Fashion Festival with my Mum when Bridgette Mitchell from Finesse spotted me on the other side of the runway. I confess when I noticed her gesturing for me to come over it took me a few minutes to realise she was talking to me!

You’ve appeared in local publications including the Adelaide* magazine and South Australian Style. Can you tell us about some of your favourite moments modelling so far?
It really is quite hard to pick a few, because I definitely have enjoyed every part of it, but I’d have to say the moments that really stick out for me are meeting Jeni Rose (the head of IMG Models Worldwide Scouting and Development), being in the last publication of the Adelaide* magazine and meeting the different makeup artists/hair stylists and photographers.

What do you love most about modelling?
So far I really love meeting such a variety of people from the industry. Of course, I [also] love the travel opportunities that modelling opens up.

What are the most challenging aspects of your job?
It really is an unpredictable life; I guess it’s hard with school because I never know when I’ll have to take a day or two off for a job, especially with exams this year, but it’s definitely worth it in the end!

You can choose any magazine to appear in or any show to walk in. Which do you choose?
The first magazine that comes to mind is the obvious choice – Vogue magazine! As for shows, I would love to walk in a Prada [show] or even a Victoria’s Secret fashion show.

If you weren’t modelling, what would you be doing?
I would definitely be continuing [with] my love of writing fictional stories and turning it into something more.

How would you describe your off-duty style?
More often than not it’s a fairly vintage or boho look. Anything goes, if I like it and it looks good, I wear it!

Are you adventurous with your fashion and beauty choices when you’re not modelling, or do you prefer a more laidback look?
I’d say I’m pretty adventurous! I love to try new looks and products but of course I wouldn’t say no to the good old laidback look.

What are your wardrobe staples?
A good pair of denim shorts, [a] trench coat, black stilettos and of course every girl needs a little black dress!

Whose style do you most admire?
I love Cara Delevinge’s street style; she’s so daring and isn’t afraid to try new things.

Who are some of your favourite models and why?
Candice Swanepoel, Miranda Kerr and Gemma Ward are the first ones to come to mind simply because they started at a young age as well – and look at them now! But of course Miranda Kerr is quite a good role model and I aspire to be like her one day.

What inspires you?
For a while I found it hard to think that I was anything special, but with some help from my friends and family I’ve realised [that] if I work hard I could go somewhere. I suppose at the end of the day I just want to make them proud, and I’ll do anything to achieve that.

In your spread for the Adelaide* magazine you showcased a lot of fantastic local labels. Which Australian designers do you love?
I love Alex Perry and I’ve always admired Alannah Hill.

What’s always in your handbag?
Sunscreen, lip gloss, headphones and, of course, my phone (when it’s not in my hand that is!)

What are your plans for 2014?
As boring as it sounds, my main goal for 2014 is to study hard and hopefully do well in all of my exams!

Could you share any advice for other young models looking to break into the industry?
Take everything as it comes and don’t be afraid to go for different jobs, just be yourself and make sure your personality shows.

Fast Five

Secret talent.. I can wiggle my ears!
Guilty pleasure.. The Game of Thrones series, both the show and the books; they’re amazing!
Dream destination.. London.
Beauty product you can’t live without.I think I would die without my mascara.
Ultimate Summer playlist.Beyoncé, the Biebs and some throwbacks from the ’80s.