Bellazon

Aquaman (2018)

katchitup

James Wan to Direct ‘Aquaman’ for Warner Bros.

James Wan is set to direct “Aquaman” for Warner Bros.

The superhero film stars Jason Momoa, with Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder and Zack Snyder producing. Wan will also be supervising the script, to be written by Kurt Johnstad.

Warner Bros. also released the first plot summary for the film, which follows Aquaman, the King of the Seven Seas and the reluctant ruler of Atlantis, who is caught between a surface world constantly ravaging the sea and Atlanteans looking to lash out in revolt, but is committed to protecting the entire globe.

Currently set for a 2018 release, the film is based on characters appearing in comic books published by DC Entertainment.

“We’ve been so lucky to have worked with James, first on New Line’s ‘The Conjuring’ and now on their upcoming ‘The Conjuring 2,’ and are thrilled to have him on board as we continue to expand our DC slate,” said Greg Silverman, president of creative development and worldwide production for Warner Bros. Pictures. “The ‘Aquaman’ film will be a major tentpole picture for us, and James’ span of work has proven him able to take on any manner of project, bringing his incredible creative talent and unique voice to the material.”

Wan had been rumored to be in talks for the picture, but with the deal in place, “Aquaman” will likely be his next film following the “Conjuring” sequel. Wan had also been circling an adaptation of “Robotech” at Sony, which may follow the superhero standalone on his schedule.

Wan most recently helmed “Furious 7,” which has grossed more than $1.5 billion at the worldwide box office. Wan’s hire is the latest development for WB’s burgeoning superhero franchise centered around members of the Justice League, following news that Chris Pine is close to a deal to co-star with Gal Gadot in the “Wonder Woman” film, as Variety exclusively reported.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/aquaman-james-wan-directing-1201511748/

James Wan: Aquaman Shouldn’t Be the Butt of Superhero Jokes

Comic book devotees know that Aquaman has a long and storied history within the DC universe. After his creative birth in 1941, Aquaman rapidly became a fan favorite and valued member of the Justice League. However, to the average person, Aquaman might not be the first comic book character they think of when the phrase ‘hardcore superhero’ comes to mind. During the ’60s and ’70s, the Atlantean king’s – shall we say, unique – color scheme coupled with his silly Super Friends cartoon show persona tarnished his image. However, director James Wan wants everyone to know Aquaman is back with a vengeance. Currently filming the Aquaman standalone, Wan spoke with CBR about the perks and challenges of filming the undersea ruler. The Conjuring 2 director found inspiration for his solo shot in Geoff Johns’ New 52 version of the popular waterlogged hero. When the now-DC bigwig revamped the Atlantean king during the 2011 reboot, he put a good deal of effort into reworking the character. The once-faltering hero became a brutal opponent of oceanic defilers and those hurting the creatures in his domain. It’s this surlier, darker (although maybe not Batman V Superman dark) version Wan seeks to continue on the big screen:

“I’m a big fan of what Geoff Johns did with his new take on ‘Aquaman,’ with the New 52. I think for the first time, we get to see Aquaman as a superhero that definitely isn’t the butt of superhero jokes, right? I think that there’s something very exciting about that.”

Wan isn’t merely interested in taking a spoofy character and re-imagining him for a new audience. He’s also excited to be working with a character with far less fan baggage attached to him. Wan continues:

“I actually do think there’s something kind of fun, as well, to take a character where people don’t quite know what to expect from him, or rather the expectation of him is quite low. I always say, it’s very difficult when you’re tackling something like ‘Spider-Man’ or ‘Batman’ that has been done so many times before. Whereas, it’s actually really refreshing to take on something like ‘Aquaman,’ that no one has really seen before in this context, and make it your own.”

Truthfully, Wan couldn’t have asked for a better character to work with. Most of the major characters in the DCEU already have one if not several film versions attached to them. Superman himself has numerous iterations, including Henry Cavill, Dean Cain, and Christopher Reeve (not to mention the small screen’s Tom Welling). Batman, Wonder Woman, and The Flash also have at least one well-known movie or television incarnation playing against expectation. Certainly, Aquaman comes with his own set of expectations. Fortunately for Wan and crew, though, the standalone only has to deal with DC devotees who wanted an alternate look for Aquaman, or who don’t take the character seriously. If Wan stays true to his (and Johns’) vision of the character, the DCEU’s Atlantean ruler will be a rougher, more intense character than most casual cinemagoers have in mind. Hopefully, he’ll still be able to have a lot of fun with Aquaman as well. Suicide Squad will hit theaters on August 5, 2016, followed by Wonder Woman on June 2, 2017; Justice League Part One on November 17, 2017; The Flash on March 16, 2018; Aquaman on July 27, 2018; an untitled DC Film on October 5, 2018; Shazam on April 5, 2019; Justice League Part Two on June 14, 2019; an untitled DC film on November 1, 2019; Cyborg on April 3, 2020; and Green Lantern Corps on July 24, 2020.

http://screenrant.com/aquaman-james-wan-superhero-jokes/

My sisters obsessed with the new Aquaman look, thinks he's fucking amazing :ermm: 

And I read like the first 3-4 collected editions of the New 52 Aquaman, it was better! But still :/ 

I'll wait more to see more of the Justice League movie and how he's used

• 2 years later...

Here's the final trailer, too. It could be fun but what works on the page doesn't automatically translate into film, they may have tried something that simply isn't possible to do in this way. I guess I’ll wait for the reviews to appear before deciding on whether it'll be worth a watch or not.

• 4 years later...