PinkCouture

Wonder Woman (2017)

90 posts in this topic

Joss Whedon has been getting a lot of blowback after his unfilmed "Wonder Woman" script went viral.

There have already been calls to replace him as the "Batgirl" director.

I don't know, I am of two minds about Joss Whedon.

On the one hand, he has written some great female characters.

On the other hand, he is definitely guilty of behavior that is not in line with his self-identification as a male feminist or at least a feminist ally.

e.g. what he supposedly said to Elizabeth Olsen whilst filming the second Avengers film or writing Charisma Carpenter's Cordelia character out of "Angel" because she had gotten pregnant at an inconvenient time for him.

10 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Knowing Hollywood, this will now likely lead to a copy-cat effect where every remotely bankable female superhero character gets its own movie. That is great news for actresses and female representation. I just hope that they realize that "Wonder Woman" succeeded not merely because it was a female-led superhero movie. I would hate to see this trend be destroyed by a flurry of subpar movies which fail and are then blamed on their leads being female.

Does that mean they're going to make more Barb Wires, Elektras, BloodRaynes, Resident Evils, and Tomb Raiders? :clap::nicole: 

4 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

Does that mean they're going to make more Barb Wires, Elektras, BloodRaynes, Resident Evils, and Tomb Raiders? :clap::nicole: 

Possibly and it probably also means that both Marvel and D.C. will be a bit more brave in releasing female-led superhero movies.

At least, until a few of them fail.

On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:57 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Joss Whedon has been getting a lot of blowback after his unfilmed "Wonder Woman" script went viral.

There have already been calls to replace him as the "Batgirl" director.

I don't know, I am of two minds about Joss Whedon.

On the one hand, he has written some great female characters.

On the other hand, he is definitely guilty of behavior that is not in line with his self-identification as a male feminist or at least a feminist ally.

e.g. what he supposedly said to Elizabeth Olsen whilst filming the second Avengers film or writing Charisma Carpenter's Cordelia character out of "Angel" because she had gotten pregnant at an inconvenient time for him.

I feel the same way. Whedon stood up for positive female representation at a time when few of his peers did, which I still respect and admire him for, but it's become somewhat apparent since then that he too has his limitations. His approach to depicting female characters and their story arcs is perhaps a bit more one-note than audiences rightly demand in 2017.

With regard to the Wonder Woman script, it's possible that he viewed it as little more than a sales pitch to a studio, and was grinding his teeth as he typed it. Either way, just looking at the nucleus of the story makes me feel like we dodged a bullet when it was tossed.

Wonder Woman has passed 350 million at the domestic box office. :clap:

As I expected, the movie will probably fall just short of overtaking "Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2" at the second place for domestic box office results in 2017. :smile:

It may be a short-lived run at #2 with Spider-Man coming. Whether that movie passes WW or not, it has been a great run for WW and should almost guarantee a sequel.

18 hours ago, jkjk said:

It may be a short-lived run at #2 with Spider-Man coming. Whether that movie passes WW or not, it has been a great run for WW and should almost guarantee a sequel.

Patty Jenkins is already working on the sequel.

I went this week and am happy to report that I really enjoyed it. Beforehand, I likened the setting to the first Captain America movie but when it actually started rolling, it reminded me a lot more of The Fifth Element. That's meant as high praise because it really is one of my all-time favourites.

Perhaps inevitably, it lapsed into a Snyder-like CGI slugfest towards the end, but given that this film had a good buildup and allowed you to invest in the characters onscreen, I found it forgivable. The third act meant far more than in Dawn of Justice or Suicide Squad, the climaxes of which I personally didn't feel were earned.

Overall, an important film for what it represents and fantastic that it's been so successful. The standard for all DC's future output has been set. :yes:

This movie is still making good money. The possibility now exists that it will overtake "Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2" after all, to become the highest grossing superhero movie of the year so far and the second highest grossing overall (this is at the U.S. Box Office, not worldwide).

^^ It should pass Guardians shortly and likely remain #2 In the US Box Office until Star Wars in December. The only other movie that would seem to have a chance to make that much is Justice League.