Bellazon

Wonder Woman (2017)

PinkCouture

My mistake about Sasha Luss  (it was the other film, where she played an alien for a brief cameo)

There are lots of valkryie beauties in modeling

I heard that the film is good but is actually not as good as the reviews (heard it's about as good as the first Iron man and captain america), and it could be 'review inflation' because of the female aspect.

20 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

My mistake about Sasha Luss  (it was the other film, where she played an alien for a brief cameo)

I remember there was a slight touch of disappointment when I found out Sasha was playing an alien in it, because I knew she'd probably end up hidden under a mountain of CGI. I can see why she got the part though, she has a very otherwordly quality to her. :laugh:

29 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I heard that the film is good but is actually not as good as the reviews (heard it's about as good as the first Iron man and captain america), and it could be 'review inflation' because of the female aspect.

The trailers suggest a Captain America vibe, too. My gut feeling was that it would be in a similar range of quality.

Putting comparisons to DC's recent output and Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy aside for a moment, I'd be most interested to find out how it stacks up against Superman '78 and Batman '89 as a debut superhero outing on the big screen. I suppose, given that the other two have 30 and 40 years of nostalgia behind them, it might only really be known in retrospect. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

I'm okay with review inflation for one female led movie, because it seems like it goes the other way more often (especially with comedies).

So it has made 200 million worldwide on its first weekend.

It is also almost certainly going to be a top five movie of the year domestically at the box office.

I think we can now put to rest the notion that a female-led superhero movie cannot make money.

Certainly when you consider that the promotion campaign for this one was rather modest compared to some other superhero movies of the recent past.

8 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I think we can now put to rest the notion that a female-led superhero movie cannot make money.

That would be the right thing to happen, but it won't.

I have noticed a similar thing with comedies. When Bridesmaids had critical and box office success, people thought that should end the idea that women can't lead a comedy. But the same articles questioning that notion still come out with every female-led comedy. When a female-led comedy fails, the narrative is always "see women can't do it". The same thing never happens when a male-led movie fails. The narrative will be something like "well that happens with some movies, they just don't connect with an audience".

I wonder if we will ever get that kind of response from a female-led movie.

I saw is this week, and really enjoyed it, although I think the reviews and hype had put my expectations at an unobtainable level and I wasn't as blown away as I expected to be. Still a really enjoyable film though. Bravo to Patty Jenkins! Definitely the pick up the DCEU needed after the mess of BVS. Hopefully Justice Leauge and Aquaman will stay on this upward trend. 

I've hated Gal's casting since it was announced, and after watching, I still don't like her as WW, but she had a solid performance. Robin Wright was MAGNIFICENT. :heart: 

"Wonder Woman" is already in the top ten of box office takes on the U.S. domestic market for 2017.

The film should be in the top five by the end of this weekend.

I'm guessing it'll probably either just get in or just fall short of the top three when all is said and done.

Not bad for a movie that so many people were considering as having a high potential of turning into a box office disaster.

I'm sure Warner Brothers is pleasantly surprised.

I saw Patty Jenkins in an interview saying that she thought the movie was good the first time she watched the first rough cut. After editing for weeks and seeing every scene dozens of times, she said she couldn't be sure anymore. So, she was fairly happy with the response.

Some aspects of being a director do not seem like much fun.

I personally greatly enjoyed the movie except for the fact Chris Pine was in it #NotMySteveTrevor.  I think I was one of the very few who was excited about the movie when it was announced---hence why I started the thread. With that said, maybe the reason why the movie got such rave reviews was many people thought the movie would suck (mainly b/c they did not enjoy the other recent DC movies) and the fact it didn't suck, the movie ended up being much better than it actually was.

FUN FACT: Although BvS and Suicide Squad had a larger opening weekend (BvS = $166m, SS = $133.6m , WW = $103.2m), Wonder Woman did better the second weekend (WW = $57m, BvS = $51.3m, SS = $43.5 million). I haven't checked how it officially did but it was projected WW should cross $200m by the end of Sunday, $205m total domestic by the end of the weekend.

And with a lower budget, WW can end up looking even better against the others.

Doing better the second weekend usually is based on good word-of-mouth, which is not surprising given the difference in critics reviews.

17 hours ago, jkjk said:

Doing better the second weekend usually is based on good word-of-mouth, which is not surprising given the difference in critics reviews.

I tend to think properties like this one are relatively bulletproof, in the sense that most of the folks queueing for it at the local cineplex won't have even read the reviews. Whether they yield truly monstrous numbers usually depends, as you say, on word of mouth and also repeated viewings by the built-in fanbase. When the diehards are prepared to come back more than once, it's almost always cause for optimism. :yes:

On 6/9/2017 at 2:29 PM, PinkCouture said:

#NotMySteveTrevor

If you don't mind me asking, why? I've found him too (for lack of a less dated word :p) smarmy in the past, and I did not like him as Kirk but I rather liked him in WW, I thought he had excellent rapport with Gal-as-Diana and beautiful chemistry and I thought he was quite charming. Subjective, I guess.