Bellazon

Wonder Woman (2017)

PinkCouture

Joss Whedon has been getting a lot of blowback after his unfilmed "Wonder Woman" script went viral.

There have already been calls to replace him as the "Batgirl" director.

I don't know, I am of two minds about Joss Whedon.

On the one hand, he has written some great female characters.

On the other hand, he is definitely guilty of behavior that is not in line with his self-identification as a male feminist or at least a feminist ally.

e.g. what he supposedly said to Elizabeth Olsen whilst filming the second Avengers film or writing Charisma Carpenter's Cordelia character out of "Angel" because she had gotten pregnant at an inconvenient time for him.

10 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Knowing Hollywood, this will now likely lead to a copy-cat effect where every remotely bankable female superhero character gets its own movie. That is great news for actresses and female representation. I just hope that they realize that "Wonder Woman" succeeded not merely because it was a female-led superhero movie. I would hate to see this trend be destroyed by a flurry of subpar movies which fail and are then blamed on their leads being female.

Does that mean they're going to make more Barb Wires, Elektras, BloodRaynes, Resident Evils, and Tomb Raiders? :clap::nicole: 

4 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

Does that mean they're going to make more Barb Wires, Elektras, BloodRaynes, Resident Evils, and Tomb Raiders? :clap::nicole: 

Possibly and it probably also means that both Marvel and D.C. will be a bit more brave in releasing female-led superhero movies.

At least, until a few of them fail.

On 6/25/2017 at 9:57 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Joss Whedon has been getting a lot of blowback after his unfilmed "Wonder Woman" script went viral.

There have already been calls to replace him as the "Batgirl" director.

I don't know, I am of two minds about Joss Whedon.

On the one hand, he has written some great female characters.

On the other hand, he is definitely guilty of behavior that is not in line with his self-identification as a male feminist or at least a feminist ally.

e.g. what he supposedly said to Elizabeth Olsen whilst filming the second Avengers film or writing Charisma Carpenter's Cordelia character out of "Angel" because she had gotten pregnant at an inconvenient time for him.

I'm of a similar opinion on that. Whedon stood up for positive female representation when few others did, which I still respect and admire him for, but it's become somewhat apparent since then that he too has his limitations. His approach to depicting female characters and their story arcs is perhaps a bit more one-note than audiences rightly demand in 2017.

With regard to his Wonder Woman script, it could be possible that he viewed it as little more than a sales pitch to a studio, and was grinding his teeth as he typed it. Either way, just looking at the nucleus of the story makes me feel like we dodged a bullet when it was tossed.

• 2 weeks later...

I went this week and am happy to report that I really enjoyed it. Beforehand, I likened the setting to the first Captain America movie but when it actually started rolling, it reminded me a lot more of The Fifth Element. That's meant as high praise because it really is one of my all-time favourites.

Perhaps inevitably, it lapsed into a Snyder-like CGI slugfest towards the end, but given that this film had a good buildup and allowed you to invest in the characters onscreen, I found it forgivable. The third act meant far more than in Dawn of Justice or Suicide Squad, the climaxes of which I personally didn't feel were earned.

Overall, an important film for what it represents and fantastic that it's been so successful. The standard for all DC's future output has been set. :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

In a day or two, WW should pass 400 million in the US.

It does not seem to be doing as well worldwide in comparison to many (most?) of the other Superhero movies. Maybe because the main character is a woman and that is not appreciated in many countries around the world?

4 hours ago, jkjk said:

In a day or two, WW should pass 400 million in the US.

It does not seem to be doing as well worldwide in comparison to many (most?) of the other Superhero movies. Maybe because the main character is a woman and that is not appreciated in many countries around the world?

It's possible, although I'm reliably informed that Wonder Woman is still to open in Japan, which I would have to think, since the worldwide takings are reportedly hovering around the 780m mark at the moment, would make it a lock to reach 800m at the very least. Only slightly short of taking over from Spider-Man '02 as the highest-grossing superhero origin story ever.

12 hours ago, jkjk said:

It's likely I'm too early in making statements about how it will do worldwide. I probably should not guess since we will not know for a number of weeks or months.

I should add that I don't know of anywhere else where it's yet to debut, so I'd imagine we'll have a rough idea of the grand total fairly soon. Batman v Superman apparently took about 16m in Japan so if this does as well or better, it could be the shot in the arm needed to hit 800m worldwide. After that, there probably won't be much scope for expanding the numbers.

Given the overall performance of this one though and the increased goodwill towards the character, the Wonder Woman sequel should be in with a very strong chance of reaching a billion. :hehe:

On 8/10/2017 at 8:43 PM, jkjk said:

WW has become the 27th movie to pass 400 million in the US.

However, it's only the 23rd movie to achieve the feat in its initial run. The other movies passed 400 million in a 2nd or 3rd release.

That's great news, presumably it's now only a matter of time before it reaches that 800m mark worldwide.

My only worry now is that the out of touch suits at Warners somehow manage to twist all this into "Wonder Woman got great reviews, but didn't outgross Batman v Superman or Suicide Squad, and both got terrible reviews. Let's focus on what makes the most money from now on." Because if there's one thing I've learned from Hollywood, it's to always expect them to learn the wrong lesson. :/

• 2 weeks later...

^^^  That's impressive but not surprising given how significantly the worldwide market has increased. Using China as an example, there is a Chinese movie that has made 770 million dollars (whatever that is in Yuan) in China alone this year. There is so much more money to be made in markets that either didn't exist or were small until relatively recently.

13 hours ago, jkjk said:

^^^  That's impressive but not surprising given how significantly the worldwide market has increased. Using China as an example, there is a Chinese movie that has made 770 million dollars (whatever that is in Yuan) in China alone this year. There is so much more money to be made in markets that either didn't exist or were small until relatively recently.

That's true, although I always find it interesting to note the disparity between western and eastern tastes. Something like Warcraft, which performed abysmally in the US and UK amid critical complaints that it was confusing, had too many subplots and required too much knowledge of the source material, went down a storm in China and became one of the highest-grossing films in recent memory. By the same token, I suppose one could argue as well that Wonder Woman could be just as difficult to understand without a prior knowledge of the context of the franchise.

17 minutes ago, Michael* said:

That's true, although I always find it interesting to note the disparity between western and eastern tastes. Something like Warcraft, which performed abysmally in the US and UK amid critical complaints that it was confusing, had too many subplots and required too much knowledge of the source material, went down a storm in China and became one of the highest-grossing films in recent memory. By the same token, I suppose one could argue as well that Wonder Woman could be just as difficult to understand without a prior knowledge of the context of the franchise.

The fast and furious movies and the transformers movies do well there, for a number of reasons.

China has changed the way movies are made because they don't allow all movies into the country. The two most obvious impacts are that studios look to team up with Chinese producers and that more movies are set in China, both are done in hopes of making sure their movie is released in China.