Bellazon

Marvel's Iron Fist

Michael*

12 minutes ago, gotportugal said:

I'll watch when I get time. Jessica Jones is still my favorite IMO

Mine too. For me, Jessica just has the edge over the first season of Daredevil, although they were very different of course and probably equally good in their own ways. :smile:

Having made it through to the end, I'm inclined to agree with the critics suggesting that the fight choreography seemed oddly pedestrian. Not sure if the fault lies with Finn Jones or the producers, but to serve a character purporting to be such a deadly martial artist, it probably needed to be on the same level as something like The Raid, which it was really nowhere near.

Another problem was that it was often guilty of telling and not showing. A lot of potentially interesting stuff (like K'un Lun, for example) is referenced only by Danny talking about it.

Overall though, I was entertained by it. Had it been a little more evenly paced with a more significant element of social commentary (I get the feeling this will be covered in more depth when Rand and Cage meet each other in Defenders), it perhaps would have been up there with Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

13 hours ago, peroxideblonde said:

I hated what happened with Joy in the finale, she realizes what Harold did and than she turn on Danny????

and i'm mad her picture wasn't put up at Rand, misogynist much?

Yeah, making sense of Joy's character arc and motivations was next to impossible. She was...

More or less fine after discovering that Harold had been alive and living in seclusion for years, even though she had apparently watched as his illness slowly killed him. And even after Bakuto shot her, she still teamed up with the Hand. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

No one commented on the second season?

My main thought was disappointment there is not a third season because I would really look forward to Colleen as the Iron Fist.

Also, a Typhoid Mary story could have been interesting (I thought Alice Eve was really good).

2 hours ago, jkjk said:

No one commented on the second season?

My main thought was disappointment there is not a third season because I would really look forward to Colleen as the Iron Fist.

Also, a Typhoid Mary story could have been interesting (I thought Alice Eve was really good).

I thought S2 had more going for it than S1, for sure. This time around, I didn't mind that the first few episodes were slowly paced because they did a better job of setting things up (a lot of the potentially interesting stuff in S1 was referenced only by Rand talking about it), which made the various machinations more watchable and the last couple of episodes wouldn't have had as much of an impact without them. No one was quite as compelling as David Wenham's portrayal of Harold, but I would say Alice Eve as Mary probably ran him a close second.

It felt like they were really teasing us with all the Daughters of the Dragon stuff, though. Despite the parting of the ways between Marvel and Netflix, I still want that in the worst way.

Based on what I have read about the Netflix / Marvel / Disney+ situation, none of the characters from the Netflix shows are coming back for new material any time soon (years).

If they ever come back, by the time they do, there is very little chance that any of the same actors would be involved.

It's unfortunate timing, really.

1 hour ago, jkjk said:

Based on what I have read about the Netflix / Marvel / Disney+ situation, none of the characters from the Netflix shows are coming back for new material any time soon (years).

If they ever come back, by the time they do, there is very little chance that any of the same actors would be involved.

It's unfortunate timing, really.

Yeah, those hints about the characters supposedly living on could still prove to be true, although it's looking less and less likely that it'll be in their current iterations. Two years isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things, but I would have to think, unless Disney were able to buy the rights to the stuff that has already aired, there'd be very little chance of them casting the same actors and continuing the Netflix shows on their own platform.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but I think Disney has two time frames to consider: they have to wait two years to use the characters again and five years before they have the rights back to what has already aired.

I think you are right that they would not want to add content which would essentially encourage people to watch the previous content still on Netflix.

It's more likely they would wait a number of years to create something new and even if they thought about bringing back the actors they would probably decide it's cheaper to start over with a new cast (of course, they don't seem to be saving money on cast or production of the upcoming Disney+ shows).

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 1:10 AM, jkjk said:

I'm sure I'm wrong, but I think Disney has two time frames to consider: they have to wait two years to use the characters again and five years before they have the rights back to what has already aired.

I think you are right that they would not want to add content which would essentially encourage people to watch the previous content still on Netflix.

It's more likely they would wait a number of years to create something new and even if they thought about bringing back the actors they would probably decide it's cheaper to start over with a new cast (of course, they don't seem to be saving money on cast or production of the upcoming Disney+ shows).

It's a bit of a web of intrigue of course, given that Netflix still owns the rights to the characters, and will presumably be keeping the series on its own platform for the time being. I suppose how clever a move that is will only really be known in retrospect too, with the Marvel stuff being very consistent in tone and having rather distinctive branding, I don't know if Netflix would want to continue carrying what is essentially an advert for a rival streaming service.

Based on what I have read, I think I'm going to assume the Netflix show characters are on the shelf for years (5?, 10+?) unless something official is announced.

Marvel Studios and Marvel Television have a significant number of characters available to them, and that number has increased with the purchase of the rights Fox owned. They don't need to be in a hurry to rush back with new content for those characters when they can do something completely new with unused characters.

(but, of course, what do I know) :smile:

On 3/20/2019 at 12:27 AM, jkjk said:

Marvel Studios and Marvel Television have a significant number of characters available to them, and that number has increased with the purchase of the rights Fox owned. They don't need to be in a hurry to rush back with new content for those characters when they can do something completely new with unused characters.

Yeah, I would absolutely anticipate Marvel recasting the entire X-Men universe, with the possible exception of Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool, who I could see perhaps appearing in the occasional dialled-back cameo. With Fox about to embark on a second adaptation of the Dark Phoenix saga ahead of the Disney merger and the plotlines becoming ever more tangled, it feels like the right time to draw a line under the series.

That's not to say that I think they'll be in a rush to introduce Wolverine and company to the MCU though, far from it. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a new Fantastic Four movie were higher on Feige's to-do list than X-Men.