Hannibal Buress - Coach Wilson

Martin Starr - Mr. Harrington

Donald Glover

Logan Marshall-Green

Kenneth Choi

Michael Barbieri

Abraham Attah

Michael Mando

I have high hopes for this one. It's a long time until the release date, but a quick look at the logo suggests a playful and bright movie with a distinctly entertaining vibe. Kevin Feige has made it clear that Marvel is dealing with the creative side, as they hired Tom Holland, and that they’re orchestrating his introduction into the MCU continuity. So, it should amount to a lot more than just a cheap rights-sharing plan to slap the Marvel logo on an old product.

And as an added bonus, it also has my idol, Gilfoyle from 'Silicon Valley'. :thumbsup:

The cast alone has me sold. I wasn't keen on Tom when he was announced, but he did well in Civil War. More importantly- Zendaya, Laura Harrier, Donald, Hannibal! :chicken: I remember the huge internet campaign to have Donald play Spiderman, and he had previously expressed interest in the role, so it's very cool to see him in the film, even if he isn't playing the titular character. 

7 hours ago, toodarnhot said:

The cast alone has me sold. I wasn't keen on Tom when he was announced, but he did well in Civil War. More importantly- Zendaya, Laura Harrier, Donald, Hannibal! :chicken: I remember the huge internet campaign to have Donald play Spiderman, and he had previously expressed interest in the role, so it's very cool to see him in the film, even if he isn't playing the titular character. 

Yeah, it was quite funny seeing Donald added to the cast. Now whenever he's on set, he'll always be thinking about what might have been. :laugh: No word on his character as yet, but I could easily picture him as a young Robbie.

I'm quite excited about Abraham Attah, too. He was superb in 'Beasts of No Nation' and he's of school age, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that he might pop up as Miles Morales. I like the idea of a Peter movie that launches Miles for the future, with a view to a big 'passing of the torch' moment that really means something. :yes:

Angourie Rice (who appeared in 'The Nice Guys' as Ryan Gosling's daughter) has just been officially added to an already stacked cast. Based purely on her appearance and age, a lot of folks are speculating that she could be playing Gwen Stacy. Time will tell on that though, of course.

The identity of one of the main villains has been revealed, with Michael Chernus (Cal Chapman from 'Orange Is the New Black') confirmed to be appearing as The Tinkerer. What with the character of course being one of Spider-Man’s oldest enemies, it's very appropriate for the whole 'homecoming' angle. :hehe:

And we seemingly have our Flash Thompson now as well. Judging by his previous incarnations, this could strike people as a little odd, but it was revealed in some of the test footage that Tony Revolori (the young fellow from 'The Grand Budapest Hotel') will be taking the role. My guess is that this version will be less of a physical threat to Parker, which fits with a modern take on Spidey. Throw in him being rich and Peter being poor, and you have a pretty classic bullying dynamic.

Iron Man regular Jon Favreau just signed up to reprise his role as Tony Stark's driver, Happy Hogan. Old Bobby D himself is already confirmed to appear which presumably points to the pair sharing screen time again.

With Zendaya of course rumoured to be playing Mary-Jane, it looks like the cast is really starting to take shape. :hehe:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, apocalypsian said:

the more pictures they release the more excited i get to see the movie

Holland acquitted himself so well in Civil War, the prospect of seeing more of his world got a whole lot more intriguing afterwards. More than anything though, I'm happy that we seem to be getting something very reminiscent of the Spectacular Spider-Man stories, which I always felt were the perfect balance of funny and serious for Peter. :yes:

• 1 month later...

My initial thoughts:

- I feel comfortable saying this is the best Spider-Man movie. It has been a while since I have seen the Tobey trilogy, maybe the first one can compete with this one for me, but I don't think so.

- It was weird seeing the Sony/Columbia stuff at the beginning of what is really a Marvel Studios movie.

- I think they did a good job combining the superhero aspects with the dealing with being a teenager aspects, better than anything I can think of.

- Funny post-credit scene made me laugh.

Just saw it tonight, and really enjoyed it. It was a fun, engaging movie. 

I really like Tom as Peter- he's a good fit and actually gives me a teenager vibe unlike Andrew and Tobey. His awkwardness was believable. I wish we had seen more of Zendaya as MJ, but I seems like they're setting her up for a larger part in the sequel now. :smile: 

I was pretty disappointed with how little we saw Donald Glover and Hannibal. I definitely thought they would have both had bigger roles.