Bellazon

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

toodarnhot

I just saw the movie last night and let me say it's amazing. I loved it, the score is great as always, the visual effects are amazing and the locations they used are breathtaking as well. The plot is perfect and it really does tie up the trilogies and explains a lot of things, and while we knew ahead that the movie was about the rebels getting the key to the Death Star, it's still a complex story with twists that you don't see coming. I don't want to spoil anything because I know the movie is not even out in a lot of places yet but it is amazing and the acting was so on point tbh, Felicity Jones and Diego Luna have such a natural chemistry and they both just make their characters feel so real, also K-2 who may be a robot but still gives you a certain human vibe. It's a beautiful movie and it gave me the same feelings as the original trilogy. 

I can't believe I'm saying this but Rogue One is now battling Episode V as my favorite Star Wars movie o.o. I liked Episode VII a lot but Rogue One is even better IMO.

And kuddos to Disney/Lucas Film for another amazing female lead! Rey and Jyn are another reason to love these movies even more as a woman :heart: 

It's a very good movie (4 out of 5 stars) but has some flaws that keep it from being great.  It's much better than TFA (which I found very misguided) and I would rate it as better than all the prequels.

+Excellent art direction, costume/props, and very dense & diverse visuals.  The final half hour is the best Star wars sequence ever filmed.

+ TFA used Marvel-style directing which I found completely incompatible with star wars.  The directing here is akin to James Cameron with Ridley Scott with strong attention to detail.  Very good direction.

+ Soundtrack is from the same composer as the Medal of Honor game series

+ Neatly ties in the saga and improves the originals with more backstory.  Shows a more modern, more adult, more serious, and gritty take on Star Wars.

- The wooden/expository writing and general lack of charisma between and with any individual character.  The Rogue one cast, except for the female lead, appear to be miscast. This is offset a bit by the high quality of the actors.  I believe that they were selected mainly for their box-office draw rather than a right-fit.  But even a right-fit could not bring Rogue one alive and have memorable/unique personalities.  This results in a lot of flat exchanges that weakened the impact of the excellent final act.

-Pretty much there's this feeling of lost potential.  This could have been a magnificent movie.

-It is unclear whether Star wars as a franchise can elevate itself.  TFA and RO ultimately take much from the originals although RO does it well in many areas.  Will Star Wars ever truly innovate?

7.5 out of 10 for me.

It's a far more original film than "The Force Awakens", which borrowed heavily from "Star Wars" and to a lesser extent, "The Empire Strikes Back".

It looks gloriously beautiful at times. The production design is top notch.

I thought the story would have worked just as well, if not better, without the Darth Vader scenes.

Its biggest weakness is that we don't really know the characters well enough for some of the emotional moments in the third act to truly resonate.

@SS

Literally the film could have just have the robot, the officer and the girl as Rogue one. The other 4 leads were marginal.

IMHO they could have gone this route and then really developed the officer and girl as tragic heroes. The guy as an anti-hero and the girl as a much suffering heroine. 

This would have elevated the impact of the final act (30 minutes), which seemed superior in quality 5/5 and oddly distinct in terms of pacing compared to the rest of the film.

• 4 years later...