• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I get tired of the endless shredders who never go anywhere or really speak with their instrument, though I think all guitarists are guilty of it at one time or another.

Here is self taught musical genius Frank Zappa (yes, even his ability to compose and conduct orchestration was learned from reading books, he never had a formal instructor) with a fun song from 1975 that borrows/parodies/explores (?) ideas from a popular book at the time "Chariots Of The Gods" lol. All of his guitar solos are improv and he never played the same solo twice.

The guitar solo in the middle sounds like a benevolent alien visitation that turns violent when it is discovered the ancient humans killed one of the aliens to prove they weren't gods much to the displeasure of the 'gods' who unleash their advanced weaponry in a wild fury (yes, that part all comes from my imagination) - the solo was recorded live in Helsinki Finland then cleaned up and inserted into the studio track. The full live unedited version can be found on the You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 2 disc.

p.s. (wonderful vocals & keyboard solo provided by the late great George Duke)

The late great Randy California. Though dismissed by many as perhaps the first of many Hendrix clones, and though that influence is definitely there (Randy actually played in Jimi's band when he was 15yrs old) I think that overall assessment is unfair. Randy was incredibly expressive in his own rite and had some amazing jazz chops at an early age (probably why Jimi wanted him in his band). Here on Street Worm in 1970 he is roughly 19 yrs old and the middle solo is a deliberately staggered build up to the outro solo after they kick it into double time and he let's loose.

Unfortunately, he fractured his skull falling from a horse whom he was riding bareback around the time of this albums release and he never seemed to regain his focus though he continued to record and gig until his death in 1997. I am and will remain a lifelong fan of his feel, his sustain and bends, his natural vibrato and heartfelt lyricism.

The classic now tiresome riff aside, I love the solo on this one.

Not the speediest solo but I think it's one of the most expressive rock solos of the 70's and matches the theme of the song : the crowd pointing their fingers and jeering accusations at the old homeless man while they bustle about getting ready for their holiday feasts, the ghostly spirit figure that seems to visit him in the acoustic interlude (my interpretation anyway), then they kick into gear, the sad death of the old derelict, Decembers foggy freeze, the ice that clings on to your beard was screaming agony. You catch your rattling last breath with deep-sea diver sounds and their flowers bloom like madness in the spring (holy shit, what f**cking lyrics!),  they bring it to an apex and wow, here comes Martin Barres crown achievement, a blistering, searing solo full of anger, pain, sorrow and remorse all rolled into one! How did he achieve this masterpiece moment? The opening notes alone of the solo bring tears to my eyes !

Well, that's what I get out of it anyway and forty years on I still get goosebumps from it. ;)

This is performed solo acoustic by deceased guitar wizard Michael Hedges.

It boggles my mind how he'd come up with stuff like this. The 2nd Law of what, thermodynamics? I dunno :unsure: but he seems to climb and climb until it's like a moment of glory, worship, reverence, something (?) then he falls back to subtle, humble humility and begins the climb all over again.

I used to listen to his tracks Bensusan, Ragamuffin, Aerial Boundaries, Java Man and this one over and over again incredibly loud just thrilled at every nuance of his playing. If you don't have it or know it, I'd recommend the "Beyond Boundaries" collection to anybody interested in checking him out.