Bellazon

UEFA Euro 2016

Stromboli1

To be fair to Portugal, they were probably better than their results suggested. Very much the opposite of France, who managed to win games in the first round in which they failed to impress.

Even against Germany they were outplayed for most of the game, only the Germans lacked a real goal threat in the box.

Their only comfortable victory was against Iceland. Even Ireland might have given them more of a game had they not run out of gas (likely due to their heroics against Italy).

On 11/07/2016 at 8:59 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

To be fair to Portugal, they were probably better than their results suggested. Very much the opposite of France, who managed to win games in the first round in which they failed to impress.

Even against Germany they were outplayed for most of the game, only the Germans lacked a real goal threat in the box.

Their only comfortable victory was against Iceland. Even Ireland might have given them more of a game had they not run out of gas (likely due to their heroics against Italy).

I would agree. Although Portugal may have underwhelmed at times, none of their opponents could reasonably claim to have played them off the park at any point. Tournament football is as much about extra time and penalties as flashing three or four past Russia in the group stages.

Plus, the 3-3 against Hungary was probably my favourite game of the competition. Football can be great when strategy is executed to perfection, but there's nothing quite like a crazy game to get the pulse racing. :laugh:

So according to UEFA, this is the official team of the tournament.

13620331_972226652890864_3066159754950956225_n.jpg

My own must-have selections would have been Bonucci, Chiellini, Pepe, Kroos, Ozil, Griezmann and Ronaldo. The rest are difficult to choose as not everyone was consistently good in every game.

36 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

Belgium manager Marc Wilmots has been sacked.

Score one more for the 'golden generation' curse, although I suppose the only real surprise is how it took this long. A squad of Belgium's calibre should be competing strongly for major honours.

6 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:
Belgium posted their NT Managerial opening online on their website. The deadline is July 31st.

I really want to apply for this position. :wink:

That ad is another example of the amateur hour that is our F.A.

Though it is quite funny that they seem to go about their search as if Football Manager is real life. :rofl:

• 1 year later...