Bellazon

Fat Acceptance: The Thread

Cult Icon

Huffington post articles supporting fat acceptance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/fat-acceptance/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_acceptance_movement

"

The fat acceptance movement (also known as the size acceptance,fat liberation, fat activism, fativism, or fat power movement) is asocial movement seeking to change anti-fat bias in social attitudes.[1]The movement grew out of the various identity politics of the 1960s and campaigns for the rights of fat people to be treated equally both socially and legally. Areas of contention include the aesthetic, legal, and medical approaches to people whose bodies are fatter than the social norm. The movement, however, has been criticized, with Cathy Young, writing for the Boston Globe, stating that "the fat acceptance movement is hazardous to our health",[2] and Barbara Kay, writing for the National Post, stating that "fat-acceptance is not the answer to obesity."[3]

Besides its political role, the fat acceptance movement also constitutes a subculture that acts as a social group for its members.[4] Activities include conferences, fashion and arts events, shopping, swimming and other sports clubs.

lane-bryant-im-no-angel-hed-2015.png

Lane Bryant advert contrasted with an offensive cold war advert.  This depicts the communists as having their "average women" as runway models.

^^

Thanks.  Your observations are a good precedent for this thread.  I've noticed this going on for years as I go ( with women )to one of the biggest malls in the world every friday.

When I have time, I'll post business news articles about the marketing and retailing prospects.  Also, political and social commentary from professional observers/scholars.  And of course, agitprop

I would also like recommendations of women's forums that discuss this topic. 

==================================================================

A first order question is this: How does fat acceptance effect pecking order relations among women?  Will accusations of discrimination increase and will pro-rata allocations be made for the sake of diversity?

More plus sized women in modeling, media, television, film and among other nontraditional work forces?

well ...... I accept and love my own fat :D:blush:

I'm not exactly slim compared to the fashion industry standards .... I do have 6-7 extra kgrs and I have zero interest getting rid of them. Actually like I said I love my extra kgrs for numerous reasons. They protect my menstruation cycle when I'm overdoing it with training, they protect me from the elements when I ride my bike, they protect my mental and physical performance when I'm overscheduled and I have to skip meals ..... and proly protect my mental and physical health from diets and life style choices necessary to be "fashion industry standards" slim. I've been there in the past and know what it takes to maintain the "ideal" weight.

So .... my opinion is when it comes your body you should take under consideration your own needs not what lifestyle magazines suggest and accept some ammount of fat on your body ..... that amount of fat can be not that little in some cases but it's acceptable.

As per the "fat acceptance" movement ..... I first heard of it in the SI2006 thread :rofl: ..... sounds so political correct therefore I hate it. I hate political correctness in general :blush::blush: 

On 2/15/2016 at 1:57 AM, Cult Icon said:

definitely miss talking to you, 

and this is your fault :blush: 

I wouldn't have any problem with the fat acceptance movement if their message was at least respectful of other body types and lifestyle choices. 9 times out of 10 there is some diss directed at slimmer, fit women which I find unnecessary. They also demonize any overweight person who exercises or is trying to take care of their health claiming they're giving in to societal standards and that they're going to gain that weight back (gee how encouraging! :dry:)

Barbie Adds Curvy and Tall to Body Shapes

th_29barbie-web-master675.jpg

On Thursday, Mattel unveiled curvy, petite and tall versions of its iconic fashion doll whose unrealistically thin shape has attracted criticism for decades. The three body types will also be sold in an assortment of skin tones, eye colors and hairstyles.

The move is about more than just making Barbie look different. While Barbie was once Mattel’s powerhouse brand, sales have plummeted in recent years as the doll has struggled to remain relevant to little girls who do not look like her and who play with toys other than dolls.

“This is about drawing a wider demographic that had turned away from Barbie back to Barbie,” said Jim Silver, the editor of TTPM, a toy review website.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/business/barbie-now-in-more-shapes.html

21 hours ago, Myfashexp said:

As per the "fat acceptance" movement ..... I first heard of it in the SI2006 thread :rofl: ..... sounds so political correct therefore I hate it. I hate political correctness in general :blush::blush: 

and this is your fault :blush: 

Keep telling yourself that..fine I'll make concessions :)

I'm waiting for the silent majority.. short men and overweight men,...to rally for their classes and fight against discrimination.  Women don't ideally date below 6 ft/ 183 cm He-men I've heard. :rofl:  The rest of us are subhumans until proven otherwise :rofl: 

I think the HF/VS model type is largely for aesthetic purposes and to please other women.  It is too thin and tall for  mainstream images of 'beauty'. (which are closer to glamour models and hollywood actresses) 

fat-ken.gif

19 hours ago, foofur16 said:

I wouldn't have any problem with the fat acceptance movement if their message was at least respectful of other body types and lifestyle choices. 9 times out of 10 there is some diss directed at slimmer, fit women which I find unnecessary. They also demonize any overweight person who exercises or is trying to take care of their health claiming they're giving in to societal standards and that they're going to gain that weight back (gee how encouraging! :dry:

Interesting to hear that type of editorializing.  I personally don't think it's hard at all to keep weight down (to a point).  The main mistake for most dieters is food choice and satiation.  The western diet is terrible for weight control (flour, fats, dairy and sugar)  I wonder how fat acceptance will effect the weight loss industry?

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Interesting to hear that type of editorializing.  I personally don't think it's hard at all to keep weight down (to a point).  The main mistake for most dieters is food choice and satiation.  The western diet is terrible for weight control (flour, fats, dairy and sugar)  I wonder how fat acceptance will effect the weight loss industry?

Well that depends on the weight loss company. :laugh:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/protein-world-company-behind-are-5595831

The level of insecurity is staggering!

I think now more than ever, because of social media, FA has taken a new dimension that's steadily going mainstream. Look at popular blogs like This is Thin Privilege! and your eyes will roll at the stupidity. Brace yourself: http://thisisthinprivilege.org/faq

3 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Keep telling yourself that..fine I'll make concessions :)

I'm waiting for the silent majority.. short men and overweight men,...to rally for their classes and fight against discrimination.  Women don't ideally date below 6 ft/ 183 cm He-men I've heard. :rofl:  The rest of us are subhumans until proven otherwise :rofl: 

what kind of concessions? .... you'll accept a ban of the "R" word and all derivatives? :laugh: 

The vast majority of short and overweight men prefer to date their fat short girlfriends instead of whining of being rejected by tall women on grounds of discrimination .... or maybe prefer to visit the fashion models forum and post some wows and chickens ...... this is the girl talk forum. most guys don't like it. :) 

^

:) those are only symptoms, not root causes.  In my gift basket are remedies for causality, wrapped in fig leaves.  Of course I'm never going to say what they are here and it's up to you to make the first step. :)

You speak for their kind?  Have a union card? Fashion Models forum is composed of short and overweight men?  Who knew :D   Many revolutionary champions are needed.  They will seek to control the digital flow of information.  The silent majority will someday become the vocal majority :D  Maybe I should speak for them too?  At 5'10'' I'm almost an oppressed midget by female standards anyway. :D

danny-devito.jpg

8 hours ago, foofur16 said:

Well that depends on the weight loss company. :laugh:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/protein-world-company-behind-are-5595831

The level of insecurity is staggering!

I think now more than ever, because of social media, FA has taken a new dimension that's steadily going mainstream. Look at popular blogs like This is Thin Privilege! and your eyes will roll at the stupidity. Brace yourself: http://thisisthinprivilege.org/faq

:blink: That blog.. It looks like activists must be activists for something

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

^

:) those are only symptoms, not root causes.  In my gift basket are remedies for causality, wrapped in fig leaves.  Of course I'm never going to say what they are here and it's up to you to make the first step. :)

:blink: 

I figured out what's in your basket Culti :p .... what's why I preferred the gifts of a more practical man ...... the inventor of the "block and ignore" function :) 

• 2 weeks later...

To me there are different degrees of acceptance.

Of course it's absurd to expect all women (and men) to look like models.

But there is a whole range of body shapes in between "model" and "overweight".

If you are carrying around so much weight that it will almost certainly negatively impact your health, I'm not sure if it's in the best interest of everyone involved if the message you get is "you do you".

How is it different from someone who smokes or someone who drinks too much? You don't help people by enabling their bad habits.

• 2 weeks later...