Bellazon

Zoolander 2

Cult Icon

I'm surprised by the title, nobody ever seems to call their movie 'Such and Such 2' any more. :laugh:

Given the increased fan anticipation that inevitably comes as part and parcel of making a sequel, I get the feeling this could end up being a bit too self-conscious for its own good. The original worked for me, mostly because there wasn't really much of an audience for it at the time of release. Consequently, because expectations very low, there was something quirky, charming and quite free about it.

Also, minus points for the apparent lack of Jovovich. :no:

^

The reviews indicate a certain creative bankruptcy.

That's a bummer because the fashion industry is so, so easy to make fun of.  Zoolander was very original.  It's probably one of those concepts that can't do a sequel because all the good ideas were off-loaded in the first film.

3 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

That's a bummer because the fashion industry is so, so easy to make fun of.  Zoolander was very original.  It's probably one of those concepts that can't do a sequel because all the good ideas were off-loaded in the first film.

From what I can gather, it's crammed with cameos from people in the fashion world, all of whom are very keen to show that they’re in on the joke. Which I suppose you'd have to say isn't a very good sign, especially since many of them are known for taking themselves rather seriously. :/

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2016 at 11:13 PM, Cult Icon said:

Have you guys caught this movie yet? Even though it's supposed to be bad, I can't help but be curious.  It could be one of those "it's so bad that it's good" deals.

I finally got around to having a look. Admittedly, I could never completely dislike a movie that includes the line "I'm Neil DeGrasse Tyson, bitch" but overall, it was pretty poor. 10-15 years between connected films usually means that someone either suddenly came up with a brilliant idea or someone suddenly needed to make a house payment. This I'd say almost certainly fell into the latter category. :laugh:

On 8/27/2016 at 8:43 AM, Michael* said:

I finally got around to having a look. Admittedly, I could never completely dislike a movie that includes the line "I'm Neil DeGrasse Tyson, bitch" but overall, it was pretty poor. 10-15 years between connected films usually means that someone either suddenly came up with a brilliant idea or someone suddenly needed to make a house payment. This I'd say almost certainly fell into the latter category. :laugh:

It would have been much better if they made the sequel immediately afterwards.  Too bad.  It feels like a meeting of actors who had declining careers.