Bellazon

Supergirl

Michael*

8 hours ago, Michael* said:

I thought Laurie Metcalf was great as Winn's mother, both in their scenes together and with the other members of the cast. I kept waiting for some twist to happen at the end, where they revealed that she was working with a new Toyperson. It’s something that the 'Arrowverse' had been doing constantly, to the point where it's almost a relief to see a long lost relative just stay as a long lost relative. :hehe:

During the episode, I kept thinking Laurie was going to go away, not for story reasons but because Laurie is busy now and I didn't think she would be available as a recurring character. It was nice to see her stay, even if it will only be occasional appearances like Ms. Danvers.  :smile:  (of course, now they will probably kill her in the next episode)

2 hours ago, toodarnhot said:

Give Chyler Leigh an actual chance to showcase her vocals. :ninjaknives:

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

For something that's ostensibly aimed at a family audience, the show continues to impress in its handling of weighty subject matter. We saw it last year with Alex coming out and they're on form again with the J'onn and M'yrnn stuff, a storyline that could have been a terrible mess had they gotten it wrong.

Some of the Mon-El stuff felt like the writers acknowledging complaints, but not necessarily admitting mistakes. It was satisfying though to hear Kara tell him to shut up and call him out on what a berk he was in S2. :rofl:

• 2 years later...

Sounds like a classic case of telly economics really, it's disappointing but not too surprising. The time would have almost certainly come for contracts to be renewed, so I'd imagine if your show is a massive cash cow you renegotiate and pay your main cast more money, if it isn't you start thinking about how to write a closing story arc.

On 10/6/2020 at 8:05 AM, Michael* said:

Sounds like a classic case of telly economics really, it's disappointing but not too surprising. The time would have almost certainly come for contracts to be renewed, so I'd imagine if your show is a massive cash cow you renegotiate and pay your main cast more money, if it isn't you start thinking about how to write a closing story arc.

I think it may be even be simpler than that, besides the pay negotiation, is in the syndications. It takes 5 to 6 seasons to reap costs, if I’m remembering correctly. 

Just my thoughts.

11 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

I think it may be even be simpler than that, besides the pay negotiation, is in the syndications. It takes 5 to 6 seasons to reap costs, if I’m remembering correctly. 

Just my thoughts.

The end of the CW's decade-long licensing deal with Netflix was likely another contributing factor. I'd imagine it went a long way to making sure the shows remained profitable, even with the lower ratings (not that I myself put a great deal of stock in that) and the fact that the CW wasn't really in the streaming business.

Now with their parent company Warners getting ready to launch their own streaming platform, it might be that more emphasis is being placed on ratings again.

There have been a significant number of cancellations of shows which were sure to come back or even already announced to come back, including a noticeable number by Netflix. The virus has changed how shows get made and how much they cost to do so, hopefully only for a limited time.

It's possible Supergirl may be a victim of this as well. Any 100+ episode show is going to be expensive to produce and it doesn't take a lot to decide to end things. They may have been considering ending it before and the virus helped make the decision easier.