Bellazon

The 2015 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Clauds

3 minutes ago, CanLVS said:

But the VSFS is meant to reach the general public, not just model lovers or people who would go through and take the time to stream it online or watch on another way. They dropped in reaching the general public and they dropped and dropped hard reaching the general public especially in their target market of 18-49 yr olds they went down by 1/3 compared to last year. Sure cord cutting and stuff like that will reduce ratings as years go on but dropping over 3 million viewers in one year and most of that are viewers they really wanted is surprisingly bad.

I guess LIVE TV is a dying field how some of you had said, but this year VSFS got more competition too, didn't they?

2 minutes ago, CanLVS said:

dropping over 3 million viewers in one year and most of that are viewers they really wanted is surprisingly bad.

Last night my friends in the US in the target demo were watching Jessica Jones and Master of None, for two examples, instead of the VSFS. I realise this is anecdotal but it speaks to my personal experience with the show's viewership this year. Two of them who I used to Skype-watch the show with had no idea what day it was and thought it was happening next week. People don't really care anymore.

But yes, that's bad. Losing that many people is really, really bad. And I personally believe it's due to PR failures, a lack of public interest (people can tire of lingerie models), a wider range of options, and the fact that the show has been going so long people just aren't excited anymore (lack of interest part two).

So a few random observations.

First off, a big one.

I think the form of the VSFS (especially in its TV broadcast) has now become so formalized that it's impossible to be surprised by any of it.

We get the same basic structure each year, some small changes in editing, but even the same kind of walks (what's up with all the forced pointing?).

I feel like at this moment they would be better off ditching the current format and starting again from scratch. No idea what the new version should look like though.

Perhaps go smaller again, something more akin to a classic runway show?

Secondly, in terms of the broadcast itself: VS, if you are so afraid of butts (or at least showing them), perhaps just put your models in outfits that cover some more of that area instead of editing any remotely close-up butt-shot out. It's rather ridiculous for a company that produces entire lines of skimpy lingerie to be too prudish to show a second-long butt-shot in a TV broadcast. I imagine a producer standing over some poor editor. "We need less butts, Scotty!" - "I can't give you any less butts, Captain!" - "I said less butts, Scotty!"

Whoever thinks it's a good idea to add one of those self-fluffing pieces to each VSFS: we get it, you think the VSFS is a big deal and need to remind us of that. Why don't you try to do that by just making the best possible fashion show you can?

Kendall Jenner: meh

Elsa Hosk: very cute, easily one of my favorites this year

Of the veterans, I think Ale did best. Though none were especially memorable, not even my personal favorite Candice. I'm sorry Adriana, but at this point, I'm not sure what the argument is to keep you around.

Lais Ribeiro: Yass Queen! Though mostly for her "Ice Angels" walk.

Gigi Hadid: I'm not her biggest fan but I did not mind her presence. There seemed to be some genuine excitement about being there, even underneath all of the contrived nonsense.

Taylor Marie Hill: cute

Overall, I don't think I'll remember much of this show in a year.

12 minutes ago, HitchcockBlonde said:

Last night my friends in the US in the target demo were watching Jessica Jones and Master of None, for two examples, instead of the VSFS. I realise this is anecdotal but it speaks to my personal experience with the show's viewership this year. Two of them who I used to Skype-watch the show with had no idea what day it was and thought it was happening next week. People don't really care anymore.

But yes, that's bad. Losing that many people is really, really bad. And I personally believe it's due to PR failures, a lack of public interest (people can tire of lingerie models), a wider range of options, and the fact that the show has been going so long people just aren't excited anymore (lack of interest part two).

It's a combination of a tired old formula and having lost too many high-profile girls over the years.

Just Candice and a 34-year old Adri & Ale combo isn't going to cut it.

Let's face it, Candice was the last model with some cross-over appeal they managed to create.

We might know who the rest of their current roster is, but many people (most) don't have a clue.

Just now, peroxideblonde said:

dropping over 3 million viewers?? LMAO i guess casting Gigi and Kendall didn't help at all

but the date was wrong imo, Tuesday is chock-full of shows to watch

The Kendall stuff never made much sense to me.

That was more or less admitting that they are no longer interested in being a proper fashion show.

I mean, they obviously haven't been that for a while now, but it's just another example of how - in my opinion - they have gone too far away from the core concept.

I do wonder how excited anyone still is for this thing?

I'm probably too much of an old fart to be a proper indicator, but I can't remember the last VSFS that I was truly content with.

It just seems more of the same each new year, with the only difference that the overall "quality" (as in name-recognition, high-profile-ness) of the models present seems to go down slightly.

Well it's definitely a huge drop and should be a concern for VS. CBS need to tell VS to wake up and fix the issues. We as viewers and VS fans for years know the problems but VS seem to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Let's face it the show is pretty much the same thing every year. Every in between segment they have to talk about what a global brand VS is around the world and how big it is everywhere. They always have to talk about being fit. It's the same thing over and over even the segments are just recycled. What do they expect? People are bored. I actually think they should take a break year from the show. Just like 2004. Even though that was due to the whole halftime show scandal with Janet but still it might do them good to take a break and go back and see why they're stuffing up. And hopefully they realise why.