Bellazon

On 12/2/2018 at 4:17 PM, Cult Icon said:

it's funny how she goes to a good / expensive school , majors in a girl subject (psychology) and then rides on her looks.  

Can't really compare the two, can you? Being a model means a very rigorous diet and workout, spending quite some time every day to make sure you look perfect, maintain an online following, travel time. If she went the Psychology/Therapy route she'd have a more steady life, commute from home to work, can eat more what she wants, doesn't need to maintain her hair and make up as much, can work out at a more leisurely pace. Easy is always relative.

1 hour ago, Franko said:

Can't really compare the two, can you? Being a model means a very rigorous diet and workout, spending quite some time every day to make sure you look perfect, maintain an online following, travel time. If she went the Psychology/Therapy route she'd have a more steady life, commute from home to work, can eat more what she wants, doesn't need to maintain her hair and make up as much, can work out at a more leisurely pace. Easy is always relative.

99% of the population do those things every day anyway.  She was born with good genes.  We're not hating on her for it.

4 hours ago, Memento Mori said:

It's almost like capitalism alienates us from our passions in order to exploit the surplus value of our labor. Weird!

But mostly I'm just laughing at the absurd idea that psychology is a "girl subject."

"surplus value of our labor" You really are a Marxist (Das Kaptal ) 🤣

It's an expensive school and also a major that is extremely populated with women and what they gravitate to (politically incorrect to say this I know- to a leftist)....  if she wanted to learn psych like many of us (myself included) she didn't have to buy the equivalent of a house (or most likely her parent's  money)

8 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

"surplus value of our labor" You really are a Marxist (Das Kaptal ) 🤣

It's an expensive school and also a major that is extremely populated with women and what they gravitate to (politically incorrect to say this I know- to a leftist)....  if she wanted to learn psych like many of us (myself included) she didn't have to buy the equivalent of a house (or most likely her parent's  money)

Yes.

And the major being populated with women (and what women "gravitate to" in general) are relatively new trends. Women didn't overtake men in psychology until the 1980s. Coding, now widely believed to be something men are uniquely suited to or enthusiastic for, used to be considered "a girl subject." Women used to have to write under pseudonyms to be taken seriously as historians, and now history is a squishy humanities major. There aren't really any girl or boy subjects. It's all historical and contingent.

We also don't know her or her parents' financial or academic situation. It's entirely possible it was well within their means. Or she earned a scholarship. In any case "I'm going to be a model so I don't need a good education that's worth paying for" would seem so risky as to qualify for "incredibly stupid." I think we'd all agree she's not dumb.