Bellazon

Doctor Strange (2016)

Michael*

u74mi08.jpg

Doctor Strange
Release Date: November 4, 2016
Director: Scott Dericksson

Synopsis
Marvel’s Doctor Strange follows the story of the talented neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a tragic car accident, must put ego aside and learn the secrets of a hidden world of mysticism and alternate dimensions. Based in New York City’s Greenwich Village, Doctor Strange must act as an intermediary between the real world and what lies beyond, utilizing a vast array of metaphysical abilities and artifacts to protect the Marvel cinematic universe.

Cast
Benedict Cumberbatch - Dr. Stephen Strange
Chiwetel Ejiofor - Baron Mordo
Tilda Swinton - The Ancient One

Rachel McAdams - Christine Palmer

Mads Mikkelsen - Kaecilius

Benjamin Bratt - Jonathan Pangborn

Benedict Wong - Wong

Michael Stuhlbarg - Dr. Nicodemus West

Amy Landecker - Dr. Bruner

• 2 weeks later...

Really excited about this one. You'd probably have to say Strange was a relatively minor character in the Marvel stable, but the stories were up there with the most visually stylish and imaginative stuff they ever did. Supposedly, it's also Kevin Feige’s dream project, so it makes sense for him to want to go all out with it.

It's a stellar cast, too, albeit directed by a guy who isn't exactly fresh from Cannes, but it'll be hard to go far wrong with Cumberbatch and Ejiofor on board. My feelings on the casting of Tilda Swinton are ever so slightly mixed, I love the idea of her joining the MCU and I'm certain she'll be great in the role, it's just that she would have been my ultimate pick for Mistress Death in 'Infinity War'.

I too am looking very forward to this. Rachel rumor is the first I've heard.

I love Tilda but am a little bugged that they've whitewashed the Ancient One. They're getting away with it because it's Tilda and everyone loves her but I can't imagine the reaction say Fox would get if they made Storm a white girl.

Switching the gender isn't that bad but at least cast an Asian actress. The ancient one could be changed up I guess. But if they're keeping it to the source material it's a tad strange.

Yeah, the casting of McAdams isn't confirmed yet, but it was reported last month that she was in talks about an undisclosed role.

It could be that a decision has been made to move away from Stan Lee's original backstory, too. It was written with no real regard for cultural sensitivity and carried a lot of ropey, fake 'Oriental' mysticism. Obviously, there are ways around every stereotype, but I think Tilda Swinton's instincts can be trusted in this case to give us the most interesting portrayal possible. The popular theory is that they're going to spin it so that the Ancient One is basically a mantle of spiritual power that inhabits different humans, which would be quite an intriguing take.

• 2 months later...

Rachel McAdams now officially on board. There'll be plenty of scope for her to play Clea or maybe even Morgana Blessing. Clea is generally the more well known of the two, while Morgana has ties to Baron Mordo.

If nothing else, this is going to boast some of the best casting ever in a superhero movie. :hehe:

• 1 month later...
On 23/07/2015 at 6:29 PM, Michael* said:

It could be that a decision has been made to move away from Stan Lee's original backstory, too. It was written with no real regard for cultural sensitivity and carried a lot of ropey, fake 'Oriental' mysticism.

It may be for the best that the Ancient One doesn't come off as a stereotype.For some reason, I see Tilda being really kooky with this role as I'm trying to wrap my head around that casting decision. I enjoy her work, as I do the rest of the cast, and hopefully we get to see Dormammu, Umar, Morgan & Shuma in future sequels.

On 30/10/2015 at 9:21 AM, Battlemage said:

It may be for the best that the Ancient One doesn't come off as a stereotype.For some reason, I see Tilda being really kooky with this role as I'm trying to wrap my head around that casting decision. I enjoy her work, as I do the rest of the cast, and hopefully we get to see Dormammu, Umar, Morgan & Shuma in future sequels.

It's definitely going to be an interesting twist. The only slight worry I have about the Ancient One inhabiting different humans is from more of a long-term perspective, because it could open up the possibility of what would essentially amount to stunt casting. I think the pros will outweigh the cons though, as long as they don't feel the need to drag things out too much. :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks @Jade Bahr! :heythere:

Cucumberpatch looks awesome, although in fairness, it's pretty difficult to get the classic Strange look wrong. In the long term, I’ll be really interested to see what the sets are going to look like, because the original issues were like a surreal movie with an unlimited budget, and pretty much a how-to guide in world and character building. I really hope to see Marvel use the scope and imagination of that early stuff as the stylistic spark for the film.

Liking the first images, I'm very curious about this movie as Dr. Strange is probably the character from Marvel that I'm the least familiar with and I don't really know too much about it, but it has a really solid cast. Can't wait to see the first footage

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've seen big budget movies with worse CGI than that. :laugh:

Seems like quite a clever way of showcasing a character who doesn't have a great deal of recognition outside of some very specific circles. Of course, the ultimate test of Cumberbatch's suitability for the role would have been to see if he could deliver a line like "by the hoary hosts of Hoggoth" while keeping a straight face. :rofl: