Bellazon

Miss Vogue Meets: Kaia Gerber Interview 

Kaia Gerber is fashion royalty. As the daughter of Cindy Crawford – one of the industry’s original supermodels – fashion is quite literally in her DNA. Kept out of the limelight (save for a fun premiere here and there) for the majority of her early years, Kaia is now making a name in her own right, most notably as the star of Marc Jacobs’s Daisy which celebrates a decade of the instantly-recognisable scent.

Over the last 10 years, numerous young women have stepped infront of the camera for Marc Jacobs. Bagging a campaign for the brand is almost seen as a marker of a rising star: Dakota Fanning, Miley Cyrus, a new-to-modelling Karlie Kloss and the bare-faced, almost-unrecoginisable faces of Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid. Now, it’s 15-year-old Kaia’s turn to represent the feminine scent and the stalwart New York brand. How does she feel about the moment? For Kaia, the most exciting thing has been joining this legion of girls. “When I found out that I was going to be the face of Daisy, I was so excited because I always looked up to the girls who represented Daisy as these feminine, powerful women”, she told us. “So, to think that I could embody that too was really amazing to me”.

Casually, Kaia had just returned from a day at school when she got the call. “I had just got home from school, but when I first found out I didn’t really want to think about it too much so as not to jinx it”. She didn’t believe it was actually happening until the day of the shoot. “Then I was like ‘OK, I’m actually going to do this!’ I think I was the most excited I’ve ever been about a job!"

Shot by long-time Vogue photographer Alasdair McLellan and styled by his frequent collaborator Katie Grand, the “collaborative” shoot took place over four days. “It was really cool to me because they wanted to have my sense of style in it too,” Kaia shared. “If you look at the video and everything you can really see how much fun we were really having. That’s why I love shooting things like this, I really don’t think it depends on what I’m shooting, just with who it’s with”.

“I think it was always something that I knew that I wanted to do”, Kaia says of following in her mother’s well-heeled footsteps. “But I would never of thought that I’d be doing Daisy Marc Jacobs ten years later. My favourite thing about being a model is the people that I meet. I don’t think there’s any other job where you get to learn so many things about so many different people. I just love forging new relationships.”

While her modelling places her in the spotlight, Kaia is also a high-school student, an experience that is important to her. “It’s really difficult, because you have a lot of different things going on. I go to school everyday, and that does come first.” It’s Kaia’s personal time, the moments that she might be sharing with peers, that she misses out on. “I use my free time for work, but because I love it so much, it doesn’t feel like work and I still have fun with it. I don’t really have days where I can sit and do nothing!”.

How do her school friends treat her campaign-girl status? “I try to separate my modelling work from my school life because I don’t want people to think of me differently or that I am a certain way because of it. I think I do a pretty good job of separating it, I don’t really talk about it with my friends. Other than my friends that are part of the industry, and I guess that’s different.”

“I haven’t seen it yet, but I’ve been getting texts from my friends like: ‘I just saw your commercial’, and that’s crazy to me. Just the fact that so many people have reached out to me, supporting me and saying that they saw it, is really exciting.”

As is the case with every girl du jour, Kaia has a sizeable social following: over one million on Instagram, forty thousand on Twitter. While it might be presumed that she employs a team to help with the accounts, the truth is, it’s a much more spontaneous practice focused on letting the real Kaia shine through – we’re particularly fans of her airing-on-the-grumpy-side selfies and witty Twitter phrasing. “I don’t really take too much time on it because then it doesn’t feel genuine”, she explains. “I try to keep my social media really close to my personality. Then people can see exactly who I am and what I like to say and the message I want to bring.”

Kaia’s approach to social media mirrors her definition on the word femininity: a phrase synonymous with the Daisy perfume. "I think it’s the message that you send to the world, that it’s strong and it’s powerful, and I don’t think it’s about trying to be better than anyone else, I think it’s just not being afraid to speak your mind, and showing that everyone is equal no matter anything. It’s just being who you are, and not caring about what other people think about you. My mum always says that less is more, because I think especially in today’s world, there’s a lot of people telling you different things but staying true to yourself and not trying to alter yourself to what people want you to be is really important.”

www.vogue.co.uk