Bellazon

Hilary Rhoda
Thumbnail

blingbling

Model Confidential: Hilary Rhoda

Shares Her Met Gala Experience!

The red carpet may be rolled up, but we’re not done with our Met Gala coverage just yet! Aside from all of the punked out couture and drastic hair transformations, this year’s star-studded affair was made even more special thanks to top model Hilary Rhoda, who not only earned a number of best-dressed nods Monday night, but also co-hosted Vogue’s highly-anticipated live stream show! Along with getting the first look at the evening’s “punk” fashion looks, Hilary also had the chance to speak with some of the night’s biggest stars including Jennifer Lawrence, Rooney Mara and Givenchy’s own Riccardo Tisci. Ahead of her first major hosting gig, we caught up with Hilary to get the scoop on how she was preparing her major hosting gig, not to mention the fashion extravaganza that is the annual Met Gala. From beauty essentials, to the celebrities she was most excited to see, Hilary is giving us the full look at her Met Gala preparations and more in this week’s Model Confidential: Met Gala Edition! See our interview with the model-turned-red-carpet-host below:

How does it feel to be hosting this year’s live stream show?

I was so excited! It will be really fun and hectic, but I am so happy to be right there on the red carpet getting the first look at what everyone was wearing and all of their reactions. Vogue has the only live stream, so everyone will be watching us.

How have you been preparing for this year’s red carpet?

Well, the live stream is handled by the same team that produces the Oscars, so from the start I knew I was in good hands. We also had some rehearsals on Sunday night on the stairs of the Met where the team had the chance to prep us and run through everything with our earpieces so that we would feel comfortable with all of that. But you just never know what is going to happen when it’s 7:00 p.m. and everyone’s coming in and there are all of these interviews happening and craziness. I will say, I definitely have a new found respect for people like Ryan Seacrest and Giuliana Rancic who do this all the time because it’s really exciting, but it’s also a lot of work. It’s much harder than I thought! But they also gave us a list of people that were attending, so we were able to learn a little about what everyone has been up to recently and the punk fashion questions we would be asking them.

Tell us about the look you’ll be wearing and the fitting process going into the live stream show?

I’m wearing Wes Gordon. We wanted to go along with the theme a little bit without being too gimmicky, so I’m wearing leather pants and a beautiful long-sleeve lace top that has a little train. I had a couple of different fittings; the first one was at Vogue. I just thought it had the perfect silhouette and it was different from a gown, which is what I was looking for this year. I wanted to have fun with the theme and it was something that I don’t think I’ll be able to wear anywhere else.

Tell us about your beauty look and what you’ve done to get your skin red-carpet-ready?

I used Estee Lauder Advanced Eye Repair Crème morning and night for smooth skin—I use it religiously. Since I have to be at the venue at 2:30 p.m., it’s going to be a long night, so I really have to make sure that my makeup stays on that whole time. Thankfully, Estee has a really great long-lasting eyeliner, so I’m doing a smoky eye for something beautiful, but still a little punk. And, I think I’m going to slick my hair back.

When it finally comes time to walk the carpet, what beauty essentials will you carry with you?

I always have my Estee Lauder lip gloss. They also, make these really cute compacts that are designed with your personal astrology sign, so I carry the little gold Aries compact with me for touch-ups later. And of course my phone!

Are there any pre-event rituals that you do before every red carpet event?

Yes, this morning I went to the gym and that always helps me wake up and get my blood flowing before a big event. I usually do Tracy Anderson or SoulCycle, either one of those workouts. Sometimes, for regular events I’ll be coming straight from work, so it’s always different. I think the most important thing is to just make sure that you feel comfortable and you feel like yourself and you’ll be ready.

In what ways are you incorporating the “punk” theme into your look?

Well, first of all I am wearing leather pants, which is something I wouldn’t normally wear on the red carpet. That is definitely a big part of it. And then I think with the hair and makeup it all came together and there’s a nice balance. It is definitely a fun theme this year because everyone is able to really dress up and embrace the look.

Did you research any punk icons while preparing for the Gala?

I definitely did my research about the history of punk because I wasn’t very familiar with punk at all. We all know what it looks like, but I really didn’t know where it came from, so it was fun to learn about this whole movement. It’s really interesting, people were lashing out against the government and the music then became a big part of that, which is really cool.

Who are you most excited to see on the red carpet?

I am really excited to see Riccardo Tisci and Roony Mara. Also, Beyonce and Madonna— she [Madonna] always pulls out at all of the stops!

Finally, do you have any tips on how to master a winning red carpet photo?

Yeah, I think especially with the Met Gala, you know you’re walking up the stairs and there are photographers yelling at you from both sides, so it gets really chaotic. I just make sure to breathe and to remember that no one is going anywhere. You can take a moment, relax and just be yourself

• 2 weeks later...