Bellazon

E3 2015: Fallout 4, Deus Ex:Mankind Divided, Doom

Cult Icon

I checked out some E3 stuff over the weekend. Some interesting stuff.  I had pretty much felt that gaming industry was stuck in a rut but the new promotional efforts are showing some promise:

The bethesda softworks stuff looked well done.  Fallout 4's vision of post-nuclear Boston looks the most interesting and derives from Fallout 3.  The modern version of Doom- the classic shooter- is retro and is different at the same time; also now relies on speed and close action for survival.  Deus Ex has excellent graphics and looks like a significant upgrade from Human revolution.

Most certainly these modern games have had a significant leap forward in terms of graphics and action dynamics with some improvement in gameplay. :PinkCouture2: Looks promising for the future.

The most impressive vids from E3 IMHO:

The general consensus will be that Fallout 4 was the game of the show and understandably so, looks as if they're trying to make it a more satisfying shooter this time around. It's already been in development for four years though so I wouldn't be surprised if, like many games these days, it was delayed again.

Several other candidates for best in show, but for me the standout was Abzu on the PS4. The underwater landscape looks amazing and the potential for online play is going to be colossal. :hehe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK65xb2kSbo

Storm, if you look closely at Doom they are adopting some of the old school classic mechanics that worked- low ammunition capacity/low endurance, metal soundtrack and hectic pacing- that made the original Doom a bit of a nervous tension game of my childhood.  The weapons also seem to be very similar to the original.

Fallout 4 - I am late; I had never heard of the Fallout Franchise until word of mouth reached me about Fallout 4.  I explored it on wikia and youtube and found the scale of the world they made to be gigantic.  There is also a ton of interesting plots and so forth that flesh out the post-nuclear world.   The walkthroughs on youtube for 3 and NV are mostly unwatchable (200 parts-ish) due to its length.   The previous two entries of the series does however, seem kind of buggy and there were graphical concessions made to make up for the size of the content.

Pretty, NV appears to be of a Mad Max/Western sort of environment contrasted to the close-in and more urbanized 'classic apocalypse' environment of Fallout 3.

Michael, there was also a MGS5 E3 preview.  It looked however, not that different to what was shown before.

On 22/06/2015 at 2:57 PM, Cult Icon said:

Michael, there was also a MGS5 E3 preview.  It looked however, not that different to what was shown before.

Yeah, the scale and ambition of MGS5 is going to be pretty staggering, although I was mildly underwhelmed by the new trailer until the very last scene when it showed the two Snake twins. That piqued my interest again. :laugh:

It looks like being an expensive rest of 2015, from more or less resolving not to bother upgrading to a PS4 anytime soon, to looking at getting Abzu, MGS5, Star Wars Battlefront and Arkham Knight at the very least. Then probably the new Tomb Raider and either FIFA or PES. Does anyone want to buy a kidney? :pinch:

Storm, if you look closely at Doom they are adopting some of the old school classic mechanics that worked- low ammunition capacity/low endurance, metal soundtrack and hectic pacing- that made the original Doom a bit of a nervous tension game of my childhood.  The weapons also seem to be very similar to the original.

So it seems! But apparently also retain some elements from Doom 3, which I liked a lot. I hope to see more of it soon.

Another clip I was pretty knocked out by was this one, from The Last Guardian on the PS4. Fallout 4 has a dog (and a robot), ReCore has a robot dog, MGS5 has wolves and this has a sort of giant griffin creature. Video game characters with pets seem to be in this year. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Recently, I've seen enough from this game, including streams, plot points, and leaks (coming out on 10/10/2015) to realize that the rabid hype, tie- in products, and media blitz is a prime example of successful marketing.  This display at E3 2015 can be seen as an very effective set of theatrics while the continual "lock-down" of related media has keep a high level of mystery to the whole thing.  :p

The actual product itself is underwhelming- the game uses a dated design engine and appears to be something from 2010 than from 2015.  It is incredibly similar to FO3- Boston however is more colorful than the capital wasteland.    The lack of innovative content is what makes FO4 embarrassing for the company and all the hype carefully built up for it.  I may eat my words when full youtube walkthroughs appear, but I doubt it!

Part of the marketing campaign: fallout food!!

edit:  Turns out the story was OK, but not as good as FO3.  The other opinion stands.  It looks like the way to go:  BOS, and then minutemen.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never played a Fallout game (becuz I'm unbelievably biased when it comes to FPS games and how they don't focus on story that much) but it's pretty tempting to see what the hype is about. Although I wouldn't recommend going to the Fallout 4 IGN Wiki page cuz it's a massive clusterfuck of disorganized information.

You should get it, as FO3, NV, and FO4 are in a class of their own.

I've never played a Fallout game (becuz I'm unbelievably biased when it comes to FPS games and how they don't focus on story that much) but it's pretty tempting to see what the hype is about. Although I wouldn't recommend going to the Fallout 4 IGN Wiki page cuz it's a massive clusterfuck of disorganized information.