Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

Ronaldo: I want to prove myself at AC Milan

Ronaldo insists he's happy at AC Milan and is determined to prove himself.

Milan president Silvio Berlusconi declared last night that the Brazilian's injury problems were all in his head, but the striker said: ''I want to stay with this great club, but only if I can be useful.

"The calf injury? It's not a mystery, but a discomfort. There's no problem with the doctors. We are working hard. We must deal with the problem calmly and intelligently."

INFINITE PRIDE

Inzaghi was so emotional he was 'without words. I thought 2007 had already given me a lot and instead...'. Kaká calls the victory 'special'. The group enjoys the trophy. - THE WORDS OF THE ROSSONERI -

YOKOHAMA - Here are the declarations made by the rossoneri following the Club World Cup final, Boca Juniors-Milan (2-4), which gave Milan the title of World Champions:

RICKY KAKA'

"It was a match and a championship I cared about a lot, as a Brazilian and a Milan player. Participating in this competition and this victory is something special. There have been many great moments for me this year. I was top scorer in the Champions League and I will never forget that title, as well as some of the games I played. Particularly the two goals I scored against Manchester United at Old Trafford, but especially the return game against the English at San Siro, my first goal, the rain, the victory. It was a perfect evening. Then Paris, everything that happened on 2 December, from the moment I woke up until the end, to the meeting with the fans at the Piazza Duomo. It was an unforgettable day.

Not to mention this day... I won the award for the best player of the match. But I won this prize thanks to the whole squad, the group. And so I, like the group, have decided to give my part to Fondazione Milan. I was a bit worried about my nail, I had pain in a very painful spot. Before the match I felt some pain, but once I was on the pitch it all went away. I just wanted to win."

FILIPPO INZAGHI

"It's a great joy, it was a truly extraordinary 2007. I thought this year had already given me a lot, instead it gave me this great emotion too. I'm speechless, there are no more words to describe what I feel."

PAOLO MALDINI

"This is great, it's hard to keep playing until 39 years of age with a great team like Milan, a club that has always given me the possibility to play for something important. Today I feel truly satisfied about what I've done."

RONALDO

"I'm happy about this important victory for the whole club. Too bad my injury prevented me from playing this match. I couldn't make it, but my team mates did well, and managed to win this Cup. I hope to get back on the pitch soon to give my contribution again, I have to get better as soon as possible. There were a few Brazilian flags, that was nice to see. Also tonight Kaká showed he is a lad who never ceases to surprise people and it's only right he gets all these individual awards now."

EMERSON

"I was waiting for this moment because I was forced to stay out for a month due to physical problems, now I'm doing well and for that I must thank the whole club, the team, the Coach because mine was not an easy physical problem to solve, but fortunately now I feel better.

After a month without action the training sessions I had here in Yokohama were very useful for me, these days in football you can't play if your condition isn't the best. I really thank the whole medical staff which has been really good for me and all the team mates who were close to me. This month hasn't been easy at all for me, especially seeing my team mates go out on the pitch and being unable to help them. But I was thrilled to go out and give my contribution in such an important match. I saw a very young Boca team, compared to other times I've seen them play, I think they lacked a bit of experience, other times they played better. This evening they did not close down well and gave our players the chance to our players to play their football. Now as soon as we are back in Italy we'll think first about the Coppa Italia and then the derby."

MARCOS CAFU

"It seems incredible that after 2002 I've come back here to win another Cup. Also this final was a great emotion, especially because it came on Milan's birthday. Tonight I came in to help, to contribute, to give a hand and of course I wouldn't have minded if I scored. I told the Coach we would have to fight until the end. When the Coach calls me to give my part I am always ready.

Personally I feel good physically, I'm mentally calm after a difficult period I went through two years ago, I think that if I keep on doing like this I will continue playing after June. With this trophy I'm a part of history because I won it both with a South American team and an Italian team, and certainly it's something that gives me satisfaction because it comes after years of hard work."

CLARENCE SEEDORF

"I received the prize for the second best player of this tournament, I'm very happy and proud because this team showed it was ready at the right time. These individual prizes are nice, but they come after the group. I'm also happy for Kaká, for his first place and I'm happy that two Milan players have brought home these prizes. This is a team that after the last five-six years still has motivations, humility, and willingness to sacrifice themselves, then of course success comes to those who deserve it."

RINO GATTUSO

"The secret of these victories is the group. After many years we are still all together here winning. You could see the motivation by how we prepared this tournament in these twelve days, because we all wanted this Cup. We came here to play for the victory and bring home this trophy."

BERLUSCONI: "We are not old and I believe in Ronaldo"

MILAN - The President doesn't want to hear allegations of an "old" Milan squad, according to him the average age of players has increased: "Take Maldini and his extraordinary longevity, he is an example for his team mates. Today thanks to the medicine of sports and a correct living style the career of a player can increase in length. That's why I think Ronaldo can still play five years at a high level."

Ronaldo: I Need To Deserve A New Contract

Troubled AC Milan striker Ronaldo has expressed a desire to stay at the San Siro beyond the end of the current season ,but he's aware that it'll be an uphill struggle if he's to do so...

Ronaldo has announced himself as being eager to remain at AC Milan when his contract runs out in June 2008.

The Brazilian striker arrived at the San Siro in January 2007, scoring 7 Serie A goals in 14 appearances after arriving from Real Madrid.

He's yet to play a single game in the current campaign, though, after suffering from a series of injuries.

Now, he knows that he faces an uphill struggle to keep his place at the San Siro side.

"I'll stay here if I deserve to do so, but I know that I need to truly merit it," he told the press.

Despite not taking any personal part in the Club World Cup, which AC Milan won, the former Inter man was pleased.

"I'm not selfish, so I'll congratulate my teammates for what they've achieved," he said.

Calf problems seem to form the basis of Ronaldo's current woes, and for this reason he won't rush back into action.

"I want to play, but we need to deal with my calf issues calmly and rationally," he warned.

• 4 weeks later...

Udinese 0:1 AC Milan - match report

Scorer: Gilardino 92

Under-fire Alberto Gilardino came off the bench to grab a stoppage-time victory for Milan that could prove crucial in the race for a top four finish.

The spotlight was on Alexandre Pato again as the Rossoneri faced a head-to-head battle for fourth place with high-flying Udinese. Milan finally broke their San Siro taboo with last week's 5-2 drubbing of Napoli, but crashed out of the Coppa Italia to Catania and had Andrea Pirlo suspended. The Friulani saw Diaz Felipe sit out a ban after they managed to win at Cagliari despite his dismissal just 30 minutes in and Gokhan Inler was also suspended.

The Rossoneri had won their last two visits to the Stadio Friuli with an aggregate score of 7-0 and were undefeated here since January 2003. Paolo Maldini missed out on the 23rd anniversary of his Serie A debut - also against Udinese - because of flu, while Nelson Dida had a knee injury.

Ronaldo sported a new hairstyle, twisting his curls into cornrows, and after 17 minutes he used it to head a free kick towards the near post, bringing a desperate save out of Samir Handanovic.

Zeljko Kalac smothered a Fabio Quagliarella strike, while Kaka's fine solo run created a good chance for Pato.

Milan were very unlucky not to take the lead on 26 minutes, as Ronaldo's snapshot cracked against the base of the upright and hit Handanovic on the way.

However, moments later Kalac fingertipped a Simone Pepe angled drive inches past the far post, then needed a one-handed save to deny Antonio Di Natale.

Ronaldo sprung the offside trap and blasted just over the bar from a tight angle, while Kaka set up a Massimo Ambrosini volley that was well over. Kalac continued to stay busy on Quagliarella's left-foot strike, but after the restart Handanovic was again tested by Ronaldo at the near post.

Quagliarella missed the volley from a Di Natale cross and Handanovic got down well to deny Clarence Seedorf. Udinese came so close to an opener on the hour mark, a corner not dealt with effectively and Quagliarella ballooned over from six yards.

Milan were clearly missing the suspended Pirlo, who usually dictates the tempo, so they had difficulty changing gear. Pato tried a solo run and Ambrosini's shot was deflected wide.

The Rossoneri had a great chance in the final minute, Seedorf's free kick skimming the near post with Handanovic beaten.

In stoppages the deadlock was finally broken by substitute Alberto Gilardino, who has been under fire recently for his poor form. Pato dispossessed Christian Obodo, Kaka's backheel sent Gila clear for a cool finish.

Udinese: Handanovic; Zapata, Coda, Lukovic; Mesto, D'Agostino, Eremenko (Obodo 51), Dossena; Pepe, Quagliarella, Di Natale

Milan: Kalac; Bonera, Nesta, Kaladze, Favalli; Gattuso, Ambrosini, Seedorf; Kakà; Pato, Ronaldo (Gilardino 83)

AC Milan coach Ancelotti won't push Ronaldo

AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti refuses to push fit-again Ronaldo.

Ahead of their clash with Atalanta, Ancelotti said: "Ronaldo and Alexandre Pato are both very fresh. But it's most likely that Ronaldo will be rested as he is 31-years-old and he has been out of action for six months.

"He's still not 100 per cent but he is returning to match fitness."

Ronaldo To Extend Milan Contract?

Reports in today’s Corriere dello Sport claim that Ronaldo will extend his contract with Milan before the beginning of February.

El Fenomeno joined the Rossoneri in January of 2007 from Real Madrid and had a fine end to the Serie A season.

However the striker had a completely disastrous start to this campaign, making only one appearance before Christmas due to injury.

This led to strong reports that Ronaldo, whose contract with the club runs out in June, would be allowed to leave, with Flamengo heavily touted as a possible destination.

However the 31-year-old has now returned to fitness and has impressed in his two games in 2008, scoring twice against Napoli and hitting the post last Sunday against Udinese.

As a result the ‘Corriere’ claims that Milan will now offer him a contract extension until 2009, with a further, later option until 2010.

Ronaldo will probably keep roughly the same wage and he will also retain 100 per cent of his lucrative image rights.

The ex-PSV star is likely to be rested during tonight’s Serie A clash at Atalanta, with Sunday’s substitute goal-hero Alberto Gilardino taking his place alongside Alexandre Pato and Kaka.

“Ronaldo and Pato are both very fresh. But it’s most likely that Ronaldo will be rested as he is 31-years-old and he has been out of action for six months. He’s still not 100 per cent but he is returning to match fitness,” Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti said in yesterday’s press conference.