Bellazon

Anastasiya Scheglova
Thumbnail

The above is the result of "Generation Instagram" where Smartphone-Manufacturers tell their clients that they have a "Camera" built into their Phone. Simply the pure Physics tell every reasonable Person that the quality can't be much better than that of a Pinhole-Camera. Only very complex image-processors can do a little enhancement. But only very expensive Smartphones do have those.

10 hours ago, neurovibe said:

Thanks! I'll try remembering that term.

I get you so much. I also tended to think about other aspects of some shoots being IG driven, such as re-posting via Instagram to their VK or whatnot instead of re-uploading. Because even with the best DSLR's, the compression on IG is crazy. A lot of some so-called photographers will look at their "tiny" screen and not notice any difference. Also, they're often posting those shots to VK once they're censored because you have to on IG.

If the Photographers would mind about quality, they could do the compression by themselves to meet the specifications of IG and upload images with a much better quality. So, they don't mind, upload their original images and let the compression do by the IG-Servers which use an algorithm that is only oriented on the dimensions and the file-size. 

If someone is interested in more details about this topic, I can do an extensively explanation about it. But as I don't want to bore the majority of the users here, I'll only write it as an answer to a PM.  

5 hours ago, LoganJ said:

If the Photographers would mind about quality, they could do the compression by themselves to meet the specifications of IG and upload images with a much better quality. So, they don't mind, upload their original images and let the compression do by the IG-Servers which use an algorithm that is only oriented on the dimensions and the file-size. 

If someone is interested in more details about this topic, I can do an extensively explanation about it. But as I don't want to bore the majority of the users here, I'll only write it as an answer to a PM.  

I have extensive background in photography, a medium in image compression (as a coder I've often used imagick server-side), but I don't know how IG goes about it. I did notice though that some uploads had better quality, even retaining some noise sometimes, although that's one thing that boosts filesize but still, much better than applying too much noise reduction, so yah I'm curious how they go about it.

Sasha Leyendecker workshop, March 29 2019 (both)
(Yes, very similar (hat/coat) to Oct. 2018 shoot but both photographer's EXIFs agree on Mar. 29, AND she was there (Köln, Germany) that day)

Ph.: Jorg Fischer (aka Joerg) Date: shot Mar. 29 2019 Source: his 500px, his IGRes.: 2048px

TCStQVk0_t.jpg T2uJU3Yx_t.jpg XZ5kkYis_t.jpg pECL0oz7_t.jpg uFS5P5iR_t.jpg 60V1ZK98_t.jpg qv5JUfgz_t.jpg

Ph.: Schind Date: shot Mar. 29 2019 Source: his 500px, his fotoblogRes.: 2048px & var
8LmqFao9_t.jpglufp8WQC_t.jpg fn6oWaz2_t.jpg o4TzjU0r_t.jpg VVGyWwKk_t.jpg Q7MmG6pz_t.jpg

25 minutes ago, Charlie's Alter Ego said:

You can't upload files >10MB at all?

I still can but the files are heavily compressed.

Just tested it with a 23MB jpg-file which got compressed from 100% (23MB) to 34% (7.9MB).

66% compression is a f*ing joke... :(

On imgbox, yah. Here I know I can upload large files but I gave up uploading pics here because they started compressing them way too heavily.

Ph.: Dietmar Sebastian Fischer (aka Dietmar Fischer, Fischeye) • Sacha Leyendecker workshop, Germany Date: shot Oct. 28 2018 [1st three], Mar. 29 2019 [last one] • Source: his flickr, his IGRes.: 3840px & smaller

3rd is a dupe but better quality (previously IG)

yFVex3vH_t.jpg Ap0Of58v_t.jpg ImyDpK2W_t.jpg 5ZZBCJU5_t.jpg

DUPES - Higher quality (UHQ)
These 3 have been previously uploaded. I'm attaching a 90 MB RAR herehis Flickr shot 20181025, Germany.rar (up to 8256px), you can see the resized version (4500px) below

Ph.: Chris Bos • Sacha Leyendecker workshop, Germany Date: shot Oct. 25 2018  Source: his flickrRes.: 4300px (up to 8256px in zip)
High res' proof:

hgFldmfV_t.jpg

MaB5IZpB_t.jpg 4qZBKGpH_t.jpg qEFVFj6h_t.jpg