Bellazon

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Michael*

post-20523-0-1446096034-80699_thumb.jpg

Captain America: Civil War
Release Date: May 6 2016
Director: Joe & Anthony Russo

Synopsis
Captain America: Civil War picks up where Avengers: Age of Ultron left off, as Steve Rogers leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a new and nefarious villain.

Cast
Chris Evans - Steve Rogers/Captain America
Robert Downey Jr. - Tony Stark/Iron Man
Scarlett Johansson - Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
Sebastian Stan - Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier
Anthony Mackie - Sam Wilson/Falcon
Paul Bettany - The Vision
Jeremy Renner - Clint Barton/Hawkeye
Don Cheadle - James Rhodes/War Machine
Elizabeth Olsen - Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch
Paul Rudd - Scott Lang/Ant-Man
Chadwick Boseman - T’Challa/Black Panther
Emily VanCamp - Sharon Carter/Agent 13
Frank Grillo - Brock Rumlow/Crossbones
William Hurt - General Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross
Daniel Brühl - Baron Zemo
Martin Freeman - Everett Ross

Another one to really look forward to. The cast list is as impressive as it is exciting, although there are obviously still a few names missing from it. No mention of Peter Parker as yet, but the character will almost certainly be relaunched here, even if Marvel hasn’t actually come out and said it yet.

Most interestingly of all, the return of General Ross, which presumably means Banner will be showing up. :thumbsup:

I was waiting for all of this to come together and get announced. But it wasn't for all the superheroes. I was waiting for Sharon Carter to be announced. I'm so happy Emily is returning to the film. Now let's just hope they give her a good arc with Cap. She's quite integral to the story during the Civil War storyline.

It's just Avengers 2.5 really. The only two missing are Hulk and Thor. I don't think we will see Hulk as he has disappeared and Thor obviously will be in Asgard doing his thing. I just hope it isn't congested and that still the story follows Cap. It is his story. I love Iron Man but much like Wolverine he takes too much spotlight.

Presumably, the civil war erupts when the rest of the team find out about the size of Iron Man's pay packet. :laugh:

'Winter Soldier' was my favourite MCU effort to date and I think this will be interestingly done too, although they'll have to straighten out a few plot points for it to really work. The 'Avengers Initiative' thing was the outcome of the 'Civil War' comic book and as we know, they already went there and covered that in the first Avengers movie.

I suppose the other worry is that the story could feel a bit underpopulated, what with Marvel not being allowed to make full use of the book's roster of characters. All signs still seem to point to Spider-Man being involved, but the X-Men and the Fantastic Four will be off limits, for obvious reasons.

If I were Feige, I'd totally kill off Peter Parker. For no other reason than to troll Sony. :rofl:

Seriously though, it's 99.9% certain to be exactly who we're expecting, and I think the other aforementioned reveal will happen at the funeral. It'd be the perfect way to bring everything full circle. As for the rest, I can't really see anyone but Steve, Tony, Natasha, Falcon, Bucky and (at a push) Black Panther getting much in the way of significant screentime. I imagine Spidey will be in the movie for about the same amount of time as Vision was in 'AoU'.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Also, we can cross at least one big name off the cast list in Mark Ruffalo, who's not now going to be in the movie. Apparently, plans for the Hulk have changed and it’s going to form part of some other future story. I can only assume that Banner was on his way to New York again, but the small motorcycle he was riding ran out of petrol and by the time he pushed it to the nearest garage and got it refilled, the team didn't need him any more. :pinch:

• 2 months later...

It looks really good. Have to say it broke my heart when Captain says Bucky is his friend and Tony says, "So was I." Really interested to see what happens once this movie ends, like how everyone will respond to each other given what has happened. Looking forward to this. 

That was pretty much everything I could have hoped for and more. :chicken:

This, really, is the strength of the whole MCU concept. The Iron Man and Captain America movies have fairly adult themes, while things like Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy are more lighthearted. Then there's the Avengers where it's a big, smashy blockbuster, and as an aside, you also have the Netflix stuff which is far grittier. They don't need to go one way or the other, because they cover all bases in different properties.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed that Martin Freeman will become a recurring MCU character after Civil War. They probably just want him to have a scene with Doctor Strange. :laugh:

From what I've been reading about the movie and what's to come in Phase 3, I'm excited about what they're doing with it. The original Civil War comic book had its critics, but this seems to be taking the best plot points from the source material, straightening them out and even improving upon them. I like that the root cause of the conflict this time around will be the Winter Soldier himself.

@Limerlight Yeah, I think if you were going to try some Marvel stuff, you could do a lot worse than to use 'Civil War' as your starting point. Superheroes fighting each other isn’t a new or interesting thing in itself, but the subject matter is realistic and the political thriller vibe gives the story some real weight. The only drawback is that it doesn't really work as a standalone piece unless you're familiar with the whole cast of characters.