Bellazon

Suicide Squad (2016)

Michael*

new-suicide-squad-movie-logo.thumb.jpg.5

Suicide Squad
Release Date: August 5, 2016
Director: David Ayer

Synopsis
A secret government agency recruits imprisoned super villains to execute dangerous black ops missions in exchange for clemency.

Cast
Jared Leto - The Joker
Margot Robbie - Dr. Harleen Quinzel / Harley Quinn

Will Smith - Floyd Lawton / Deadshot

Jai Courtney - Captain Boomerang

Cara Delevingne - The Enchantress

Joel Kinnaman - Rick Flagg

Viola Davis - Amanda Waller

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje - Waylon Jones / Killer Croc

Adam Beach - Christopher Weiss / Slipknot

Jay Hernandez - Chato Santana / El Diablo

All eyes are going to be on Jared Leto. He has really big shoes to fill, poor guy. 

Wonder when Willow and Jaden will nudge their way into a DC universe movie or TV series? Seeing as their father is in Suicide Squad and their mother is in Gotham.

Quite surprising that they're willing to go there with the Joker so soon, although I'm sure if anyone can pull that off, it's Leto. :unsure:

Somebody up there must really like Jai Courtney, chance after chance in big movie franchises (Die Hard, Divergent and Terminator) despite the fact that audiences have yet to warm to him. Still, he's going to be a secondary character and he won't have to put on a fake Aussie accent, which I suppose is something.

And nothing against Will Smith, but I can't see him playing Deadshot as Deadshot. The character will likely be completely adapted into a Will Smith character, which would be a bit of a disservice to the source material. Jada probably played a part in him taking it, though. In addition to her 'Gotham' role, she's said to be a huge DC geek.

Honestly with Leto, Hardy and Margot on board there is no way this movie won't be amazing. Those three are some of the most talented out there right now, and Will Smith isn't a favorite of mine either but he's an okay actor. I'm more excited about this than Justice League now lol

• 1 month later...
On 23/01/2015 at 0:59 AM, Kevork89 said:

Hmmmmm wonder who they will go for now.

It's thought to be between Joel Edgerton and Jon Bernthal.

After the negative fan reaction and poor reviews for Prince of Persia, it seems Gyllenhaal has opted out of big studio pieces for the time being, in favour of making things like End of Watch (which I really didn't like :ninja:), Nightcrawler and Enemy, regardless of whether or not they will be seen by huge audiences.

He is filming his movie Revenant with Leo and that apparently is going over schedule. Longer than expected. So once he is done filming that he has to go straight into press and promotion for Mad Max.

Joel sounds like a good choice. He is aussie so all my support to him :)

• 4 weeks later...

It's now beginning to sound like Joel Kinnaman will be the one who takes over as Flagg. Obviously in terms of star power, Kinnaman is a considerable downgrade from someone like Hardy or Gyllenhaal, but I rate him as an actor and think he's up to the task. His portrayal of Holder in the US version of 'The Killing' was terrific.

• 2 months later...

David Ayer has released the first official image of Jared Leto's Joker.

pezlTIabdjdea_medium.jpg

As much as he has the manic facial expressions down and the right eyes, it feels a bit too 'in your face' to me. Take off the tattoos, especially the atrocious forehead one, and I'd like it a lot more. I always picture the Joker as an extremely dapper guy and someone who likes to give off an air of sophistication. That contradiction between his physical appearance and the way he carries himself makes him so unpredictable, and in turn, a lot scarier. By outwardly projecting the look of a street thug instead, they're stripping away one of the layers that make him so interesting.

P.S. I've seperated all the Suicide Squad talk from the Batman vs Superman stuff. I figure after the above reveal, the movie could use its own topic. :smile:

On 25/04/2015 at 1:18 PM, Michael* said:

As much as he has the manic facial expressions down and the right eyes, it feels a bit too 'in your face' to me. Take off the tattoos, especially the atrocious forehead one, and I'd like it a lot more. I always picture the Joker as an extremely dapper guy and someone who likes to give off an air of sophistication. That contradiction between his physical appearance and the way he carries himself makes him so unpredictable, and in turn, a lot scarier. By outwardly projecting the look of a street thug instead, they're stripping away one of the layers that make him so interesting.

I agree. That forehead tattoo is appalling, reminds me of one of those 'no regrats' tattoos some people have. Also the teeth are a turn off for me. It reminds me of Jaws from James Bond. While I'm not too keen on the look, I'll wait for a trailer to pass actual judgement on Leto. I'm hoping his performance will be enough to make me look away from his appearance. Still got big shoes to fill in regards to Heath's Joker. 

I am loving the vibes of Jared as The Joker. I know as you guys said above you kinda preferred the joker as this "dapper" type guy, which I can see what you mean. The whole being dapper with clown makeup made the times when he talked and showed how menacing and insane he was intriguing and shocking. But this is much more straight forward. He looks fu*king insane :dance:

On 22/01/2015 at 11:32 PM, Michael* said:

It sounds like Tom Hardy is officially out as Rick Flagg, with Jake Gyllenhaal reportedly passing on the chance to replace him in the role. :unsure:

Have they ever announced who was gonna replace Tom? 

I've looked at Suicide Squad comics...they're throwaway and I don't really like them at all.  However, I can see how the basic concept (a bunch of chained up DC supervillians being used to help the government) would be useful for the big screen.

The comic is non-traditional so I can see why the designs for the characters  (like the Joker) would change.  It's a bit like Ocean's 12 and Snatch with the emphasis on quirky relations.

I don't mind the look of the joker. I prefer that every interpretation on screen of the character is different. Because you can't really say one is better then the other because each is unique. Jack's joker is different to Heath's and so will Jared's. I think the look is interesting. I am not a huge fan of the tat on the forehead. But it looks like a new more modern joker which I think is cool. He has been in prison after all. I'm interested to see how Margot will look as Harley. Now more than ever.

I don't mind the look of the joker. I prefer that every interpretation on screen of the character is different. Because you can't really say one is better then the other because each is unique. Jack's joker is different to Heath's and so will Jared's. I think the look is interesting. I am not a huge fan of the tat on the forehead. But it looks like a new more modern joker which I think is cool. He has been in prison after all. I'm interested to see how Margot will look as Harley. Now more than ever.

Good point :yes: