Bellazon

The X-Files

cast0r

Surprised by the levels of negativity towards the opener, although admittedly, I'd hoped for more given that they only have six episodes to play with. Carter's new twist on the mythology was quite neat, but for some reason the show's blurring of lines between fact and fiction feels less fun than it used to. Hopefully, it gets on more of a roll as it goes on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Which reminds me I'm still stuck in season 6...

You're much further along with it than I am then.  :D  It's still one of those that I've been meaning to start but just never have gotten around to.

Seen the two movies, though.  Enjoyed both of them. 

Not surprised that it's coming back since the ending of the last season practically demanded it, but man alive, what a terrible mess the mythology has become. The direction Carter chose to take backed the series into such a tight and ludicrous corner, it would take a u-turn akin to the one in Dallas to get out of it. :no:

2 hours ago, Michael* said:

Not surprised that it's coming back since the ending of the last season practically demanded it, but man alive, what a terrible mess the mythology has become. The direction Carter chose to take backed the series into such a tight and ludicrous corner, it would take a u-turn akin to the one in Dallas to get out of it. :no:

I thought the 'event series' was a dog's dinner often riddled with some aggressively bad writing. Maybe with more episodes this time they can restore some semblance of coherence to any overreaching mythology, though I'd probably prefer if they veered away from that stuff altogether, as they should have years ago. As for Carter, he's a hindrance rather than an asset to the show's creative fortunes and has been for a long, long time. He probably sees no reason to loosen his grip over proceedings but he really, really should.

5 hours ago, Frederick said:

I thought the 'event series' was a dog's dinner often riddled with some aggressively bad writing. Maybe with more episodes this time they can restore some semblance of coherence to any overreaching mythology, though I'd probably prefer if they veered away from that stuff altogether, as they should have years ago. As for Carter, he's a hindrance rather than an asset to the show's creative fortunes and has been for a long, long time. He probably sees no reason to loosen his grip over proceedings but he really, really should.

Even in the early days, I'd find myself craving more of the 'monster of the week' type stuff, but if they'd concentrated fully on delivering a proper conclusion to the mythology, the six-episode run would have felt, at the very least, more coherent. Not only was Carter unable to handle the scripting or directing, he also couldn’t seem to make up his mind what the series was supposed to represent. The George Lucas of the franchise has become, well, the George Lucas of the franchise.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

Even in the early days, I'd find myself craving more of the 'monster of the week' type stuff, but if they'd concentrated fully on delivering a proper conclusion to the mythology, the six-episode run would have felt, at the very least, more coherent. Not only was Carter unable to handle the scripting or directing, he also couldn’t seem to make up his mind what the series was supposed to represent. The George Lucas of the franchise has become, well, the George Lucas of the franchise.

It was astounding to me how quickly Carter managed to muddy the waters during the first episode of the revival. Within minutes you knew you were watching an astronomical botch job. He could've gone ANYWHERE and he chose....that. 

Now with all that chirpy positivity put to one side, anyone buying the new Audible Cold Case thingy?

• 3 months later...
On 21/04/2017 at 7:14 PM, Frederick said:

Now with all that chirpy positivity put to one side, anyone buying the new Audible Cold Case thingy?

Finished this yesterday, incidentally. It's really bloated and runs out of energy quite quickly but it's not without a certain charm.