Bellazon

Mel Gibson's career, RIP

Rhett

Apparently Mel was pulled over for a DUI, and declared war on the Jews. again. man, it's a bad idea to be such a hater when 90% of Hollywood is run by Jewish people.

The career of Mel Gibson, one of Hollywood's most bankable actors, may have been damaged irreparably over the weekend when Gibson let loose a barrage of anti-Semitic statements following his DUI arrest by Los Angeles County Sheriff's officers. He reportedly shouted out, "f***ing Jews" and "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world" and asked the arresting deputy, who admitted to being "frightened" by Gibson, "Are you a Jew?" (His comments were first reported by the TMZ.com celebrity website.) The following day, Gibson issued a statement stating, "I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am ashamed of everything I said." He also apologized to the arresting officers for his "belligerent behavior," adding, "I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse." Veteran publicist Michael Levine was quoted by the MSNBC site as saying, "It's a nuclear disaster for him. ... I don't see how he can restore himself." Abraham Foxman, director of the Anti-Defamation League, who warned in 2004 that Gibson's film The Passion of the Christ, would rekindle anti-Semitism in the U.S., commented, "It's not a proper apology because it does not go to the essence of his bigotry. ... We would hope that Hollywood now would realize the bigot in their midst and that they will distance themselves from this anti-Semite." Newsday critic John Anderson rhetorically asked in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter: "How many people when they are drunk and angry start lashing out at the Jews?" Reporting on the arrest and Gibson's comments, the Los Angeles Times observed today (Monday): "Although many of the town's senior executives are Jewish and Hollywood has a long history of supporting Israel and Jewish causes, there was no widespread public condemnation of Gibson's comments over the weekend. Although some high-level executives privately expressed dismay at the statements attributed to Gibson after his arrest, none of those contacted would speak on the record."

totally off the cuff -- but it seems like the guys that turn into nuts are the non-Jews. the scientology guys, Mel being Catholic, I'm sure there are many others... I wonder if there are any big Jewish exceptions

I can't say I'm surprised. He always had rumors of bigotry surrounding him. He just exposed himself for what he is.

Too bad to find out one of my childhood heroes is actually nothing more that an anti-semetic jerk. :(

Oh come now...he is PLENTY more than an anti-semetic jerk...he was freakin Mad Max for God's sake! :laugh:

Funny when we realize that celebrities are people with problems and issues....as if we expect them not to have wrong opinions about anything or always act professional and sweet. This whole thing will blow over after a while like everything else...it might take a few months, but it won't last as long as the backlash against the Dixie Chicks or anything. :wave:

The Passion was a good movie, but yeah people freaked. You're right about this...it's a rough one. All we can do is wait and see.

The thing is, if I hated on every celebrity that had some nasty viewpoint I would be left with 2, maybe, that I could enjoy and then I would HOPE they would do a movie together. Most celebrities aren't going to get press like this spouting their crap for public scrutiny, but they all have their skeletons and "sins" if you will. Who are we to judge them? Sure, judge the idea and the behavior, but not the person. Have we walked a mile in his shoes? I think not.

some of us can judge a little bit. I couldn't count how many people I know in The Biz. I don't know Mel, don't know people that know him well. but I don't hear good things. as a fan, I miss Mad Max and Riggs William Wallace et al, but as a person, I never developed good feelings for him.

on the flipside, there are really lots of people that aren't at all like that. just thinking of macho male movie stars, Clint is not like this. Nic Cage. I could make a long list, probably as long as the list of Mels and Sean Penns.

Well, I'm surely not saying we all have the SAME problems. We all have our own demons to deal with and many times drunkeness reaveals it...hopefully not so dramatically. Also, I'm not trying to say we should like Mel. We don't have to like anyone. It's just that we should realize that all our "stars" have issues and many times they aren't very nice at all.

no, I get that. I'm just saying that people are allowed to have their issues and problems. I for one don't iconize entertainers. but not everyone is like Mel - I know you're not saying they are - despite their issues (and stars deal with more than the average person) they manage without being colossal pricks.

I can't say I'm surprised. He always had rumors of bigotry surrounding him. He just exposed himself for what he is.

Too bad to find out one of my childhood heroes is actually nothing more that an anti-semetic jerk. :(

Oh come now...he is PLENTY more than an anti-semetic jerk...he was freakin Mad Max for God's sake! :laugh:

Funny when we realize that celebrities are people with problems and issues....as if we expect them not to have wrong opinions about anything or always act professional and sweet. This whole thing will blow over after a while like everything else...it might take a few months, but it won't last as long as the backlash against the Dixie Chicks or anything. :wave:

But the Dixie Chicks didn't do anything wrong. I never understood the whole fuss about them.

Gibson blames a denomination for all wars in the world and claims the Holocaust is something of fiction. :blink:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Mel Gibson on Tuesday apologized for making anti-Semitic remarks after his recent arrest for drunken driving and asked to meet with members of the Jewish community to begin a "path for healing."

"There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark," Gibson said in a statement.

"I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested," he added.

Gibson, who directed 2004's blockbuster movie "The Passion of The Christ" about the last hours of the life of Jesus, was caught speeding in his car in the early morning last Friday, and he went on a rant in which he is widely reported to have said "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department report, parts of which have appeared on celebrity Web site TMZ.com, is laced with anti-Semitic statements and expletives said by the actor.

The report said an opened bottle of tequila was found in the car, and that at one point Gibson tried to evade arrest.

But it has been the anti-Semitic remarks that have raised the biggest outcry from members of the Jewish community in and out of Hollywood because before "Passion," the Oscar-winning director of "Braveheart" and star of the "Lethal Weapon" movies denied he or the movie were anti-Semitic.

His statement on Tuesday sought a meeting with Jewish community leaders in which he could explain his actions.

"I'm not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one-on-one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing," Gibson said.

He said he has begun "an ongoing program of recovery," but admitted "I cannot do it alone."

"I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery," Gibson said.

the good news is that it's the opposite of what the White House does, deny and flip the accusation (we're war profiteers?? no, you want to cut and run, so you're a coward and a traitor!).

the bad news is, that like when most athletes have these press conferences and use a bunch of words they don't know, I think most people are smart enough to see that this is a PR thing created by PR people and it's more calculated than sincere.

... I think most people are smart enough...

Yeah right! Most people aren't smart enough to do anything on their own. Most people purchase their crap from the #1 importer from a Communist country, most people voted "the soul patrol" as the American Idol. sheeesh, most people suck. :laugh:

SS...Do I really have to explain to you why the Dixie Chicks are viwed as "doing something wrong"?