Bellazon

The Dark Knight (2008)

mylovelyangel

The Dark Knight July 18th, 2008

posterxy3.jpg

Writer: Jonathan Nolan, Christopher Nolan

Director: Christopher Nolan

Cast: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Eric Roberts, Anthony Michael Hall, Nestor Carbonell

Summary: The follow-up to the action hit "Batman Begins," "The Dark Knight" reunites director Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale, who reprises the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne. In the new film, Batman raises the stakes in his war on crime. With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent, Batman sets out to dismantle the remaining criminal organizations that plague the city streets. The partnership proves to be effective, but they soon find themselves prey to a reign of chaos unleashed by a rising criminal mastermind known to the terrified citizens of Gotham as The Joker.

Edited by my lovely angel

Thursday, July 20th, 2006

Straight from the floor of Comic-Con 2006 in San Diego, MovieWeb.com/SuperheroFlix.com has learned that Heath Ledger will be playing the Joker in the continuation of the Batman Begins franchise.

a joker?

what crackpipery :|

a smoker? a midnight toker?

Jack made that role his. Who ever follows into his footsteps will fall short.

Also, with all the villains within the Batman universe, why the need to go back to the Joker?

They could try and do Mr. Freeze properly this time.

2 reasons

1) he's Bats' archrival. you have to go there.

2) The Bible* said that Joker gets a ref at the end of the story.

*Batman: Year One

Still think it's a terrible idea. And not to diss Ledger, but there have to be better candidates out there. They are trying to find someone to play what is perhaps the most iconic villain out there, and the previous guy who played the part did so well that people will forever associate the character with him (shades of Bond-Connery). So if you are going to do that, you have to nail the casting. Ledger? I believe he is a quality actor, but The Joker? I can't see it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At the Toronto International Film Festival, two local newspapers had a chance to speak with Heath Ledger on his role as The Joker in the The Dark Knight, the sequel to Batman Begins.

From the Toronto Star:

Q: How about playing the Joker in The Dark Knight? I have to admit, I would never have thought of you for the role.

A: I wouldn't have thought of me, either. But it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes.

From the Toronto Sun:

"It's definitely going to stump people. I think it'll be more along the lines of how the Joker was meant to be in the comics, darker and more sinister."

The Dark Knight will be released in the summer of 2008.

• 4 weeks later...

October 3, 2006 - IGN attended "An Evening With Christopher Nolan" on Oct. 2 at the historic Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood where Nolan's first feature, Following, was screened along with the trailer for the filmmaker's next release, The Prestige.

Nolan and his wife-producer Emma Thomas were in attendance for a Q&A session after the film. The director's brother Jonah Nolan, who is scripting The Dark Knight, was also there but did not take questions from the audience.

IGN got the chance to ask Chris Nolan if The Dark Knight would delve further into the themes established in Batman Begins, specifically the idea of justice vs. revenge and the exploration of Bruce Wayne's father issues.

"I haven't finished the script yet. I'm supposed to be doing it right now," Nolan admitted, sparking laughter from the crowd. "It does, absolutely. It's a pretty direct continuation of where the last film left off, and the last scene of Batman Begins suggests a strong direction we wanted to take the story in. It absolutely carries on with a lot of the thematic concerns and hopefully takes it someplace new."

When we asked if District Attorney Harvey Dent

• 7 months later...