Bellazon

What are your Dream films or miniseries?

Cult Icon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In keeping with the theme of comic book adaptations, I always thought Marvel were missing a trick by not giving Daredevil his own Arrow-style series until now. The source material is essentially a ready-made mixture of two of the most popular television genres ever, a legal drama/cop show with a superhero as its central character. Plus, portraying his powers (and those of his biggest enemies) and street-level crime-fighting antics would be well within a TV show's SFX budget. An instant winner, provided of course that you don’t cast Ben Affleck. :ninja:

• 6 months later...

Some interesting concepts for movie or miniseries making:

Some of my favorite super 'hero' comics:

Punisher (Garth Ennis' series is what interested me in the character, and no one has topped him since)  The whole thing is online now 1-75 are the best.  Forewarned: the series is disturbing.

post-40981-0-1446015062-89622_thumb.jpg

Luthor Strode series ( What stands out about the trilogy is the 'spunk', novel situations, and the fluid artwork)

878475043184271.jpg

Birthright is quite creative and well done:

"Hexed" is chic and quite feminist.  All the women look are drawn like fashion models..

p11_6%2Bcopy.jpg

Artesia is clearly made by a passionate artist.  I admire the research done to flesh out this world:

post-40981-0-1446015062-90382_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Southern Bastards is a unique concept.  It is about a high school football coach that dominates a small town.  It's highly offensive to the thin-skinned :p

post-40981-0-1446015064-63193_thumb.jpgpost-40981-0-1446015064-63858_thumb.jpg

Winterworld- Just as good as 'Mad Max' but the setting is a permanent winter.  It is definitely potential movie-material.  The original 80s series run is quite memorable.

post-40981-0-1446015064-6722_thumb.jpg

DMZ: A terrific series, about a journalist and a Civil War in the USA.  There's nothing quite like it.

DMZvertigodc3.jpeg

Royal Blood:  By the same genius as "Terrible Pope".  It is dark humor that satires feudalism and a whole genre of romance...

post-40981-0-1446015064-69318_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Chrononauts- about time-traveling hooligans that use their tech. to live large..It's an interesting concept.  The writer, Mark Millar, had one of his mini-series converted in the film, "Wanted" starring Halle Berry.

post-40981-0-1446015056-33346_thumb.jpg

Fight Club 2:  The author of the original Fight Club (which was made into a great film) has done work on a sequel.  The anti-hero from the first is now a married man.

post-40981-0-1446015056-36294_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

2015 has been a special year for gaming.  The dramatic upsurge in production values (soundtrack, narrative, world-building, voice acting, art direction, gameplay, etc.) for several AAA titles have opened the possibility that games will eventually exert more influence film/tv, and in a positive way.  

-Spec Ops: The Line (2012):  A sub-par production value title that, nevertheless, had some good concepts which saw it on many lists of best games ever made.  It was based on Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" and  "Apocalypse Now" but without slavishly copying both.  The protagonists journey towards insanity and end up full war criminals.  Spec Ops used world building to tell the story.

-Metal Gear Solid 5:  A high production value title that's a mixed bag but carries the concept of "phantom pain"- something not often seen in film but prevalent throughout literature and history.

-Bloodborne: The game appears to be (like the Witcher 3-) designed by artisans.  The horror is special and mysterious- it hits hard.  Even an experienced person like me felt that it hit as hard as like learning about a genocide for the first time.  This is lovecraft writ large- instead of a 'small fishing hamlet' or other insular group, the horror is the wider world.  There is so much substance and lovecraftian concepts at play here that the world building was an education in itself.

A central theme is the relentless desire to elevate and harness power (even at the expense of their own humanity), and the consequence of people being run over by impersonal forces beyond their control.

On 22/04/2015 at 7:45 PM, Cult Icon said:

Punisher (Garth Ennis' series is what interested me in the character, and no one has topped him since)  The whole thing is online now 1-75 are the best.  Forewarned: the series is disturbing.

post-40981-0-1446015062-89622_thumb.jpg

Apparently, Garth Ennis's 'Preacher' (which I'd say is right up there with his best work) is soon to hit the small screen. I've been dreaming about seeing a good adaptation of this for a while, but I can't help thinking they'll struggle, particularly tonally. The books are so dark, so dry, so outrageous and yet so oddly plausible at the same time. Seth Rogen's involvement makes me slightly nervous too. :/

On 1/19/2016 at 7:10 AM, Michael* said:

Apparently, Garth Ennis's 'Preacher' (which I'd say is right up there with his best work) is soon to hit the small screen. I've been dreaming about seeing a good adaptation of this for a while, but I can't help thinking they'll struggle, particularly tonally. The books are so dark, so dry, so outrageous and yet so oddly plausible at the same time. Seth Rogen's involvement makes me slightly nervous too. :/

Thanks for the heads up.  I've flipped through Preacher, which is a classic.  I've read or flipped through much of Ennis at this point. Most of his work has a very dark "surprise" twist to his stories.   What happens before is just the set up for the sucker punch.

They have a big budget Assassin's Creed ($ 200 M) movie starring Fassbender.  It's already filming.  I've been trying to catch up with the Assassin's creed stories (there are so many lol).  AS4 "Black Flag" is 17th century pirate themed and appeals to me already.  The movie however, is set in Spain.

DF-EW First Look Dec2015.jpg

• 1 year later...