Bellazon

Blanca Padilla
Thumbnail

alfadolls

OFF DUTY MODELS WHO CARE - BLANCA PADILLA                             /NEW INTERVIEW

What are a few things you do to stay environmentally friendly? 
Since I moved to New York City by myself, I started to try my best to recycle as much as I could. I am coming from Spain, and the truth is we always tried at home, but I feel we never were as serious as I try to be here. I see so much waste in the city, it is incredible. Also have you ever thought about the huge amount of garbage we accumulate as a population? I realized how important it is to do as much as we can as individuals. This is the only way we can see a little change; by doing what we can individually and really doing it. I also try not to waste water, for example my dishwasher is not on unless it is full and my shower does not take forever, I am usually very quick. I don’t even have a TV as I travel often, plus nowadays it is not even necessary for somebody living alone. A good smartphone and a good computer with Netflix and internet connection works for me. I also find it very interesting what this website features about sustainable clothing. I think it is something we should learn more about, starting with myself.

Do you have any favorite sustainable or ethical clothing lines? 
I personally love EDUN, which offers a beautiful sustainable collection based on simplicity but uniqueness, Killer, where I’ve seen many pieces that fit my style, and of course Stella, who stars for her vegan bags among other things. However, if you are looking for something a bit more affordable, there’s plenty of options too. Some I like are the H&M Conscious line from H&M, which uses materials such as hemp, organic linen and organic leather. ASOS Eco, from ASOS, I personally like because they make buying ethically conscious brands so easy as well as ASOS Africa that promotes growth and empowerment in Africa and encouragement for artisans and producers across the continent, which I think it is extremely important as there is a lot of unrecognized talent because of the lack of opportunities.

Last but not least, for cute sustainable jewelry you can check out Made from the UK who previously collaborated with fashion industry big shots including Louis Vuitton, Tommy Hilfiger, Edun, ASOS, Topshop and more. I love the fact that they employ over 60 men and women in a workshop in Kenya.

What are some of your favorite organic beauty products? 
Everyone's skin is different and of course what works for me could not work for others, but that’s exactly why I encourage everyone to listen to recommendations about organic products and by trying them out until you find what works best for you. There are lots of great organic brands (plus they are usually pretty affordable!) that could work for you. I also highly recommend to try out homemade masks made of natural simple products, as they usually work great when you find your combination (hair masks as well, you’d be surprised). Coconut oil or olive oil are both super ingredients for this.

On a day off, you’re heading to your favorite coffee shop. What are you wearing? 
Probably ripped jeans, some of my favorite sneakers or a pair of Chelsea boots, and a big cozy sweater. If not, workout clothes! I could live in those). (Amen Blanca!) 

Tell me about something you’re doing simultaneously with modeling that motivates you. Another job? A project? Volunteering? A hobby? 
I am currently studying Advertising and Public Relations online (step by step, it is going to take longer as it would normally take as it is combine with my job). It excites me, I chose it because I find it interesting how the human brain works. Things like, how you can persuade it or use it to persuade others, or the resistance that we put against it as a response. I have always been attracted by why we do the things we do, by the pressure of society reflected on our actions, by feelings and emotions and ways of living in different parts of the world. 

I am an emotional person and the world fascinates me. I love how young I am to explore it all. So I enjoy reading about achieving positivity mindset, about having the right attitudes in life, about how we grow up with the wrong thoughts in our brains and that can sometimes take the magic of life away from us. The truth is, you are able to do anything you want but you have to pursue it and fight it instead of accepting mediocrity. That is why I always love being active and whenever things with work are quiet I get nervous, because we are here to live! 

This summer I decided to do my first volunteer program and I went to one of my favorites places on earth: Costa Rica. For some reason I knew that it would be the right destination, I knew that it would be fresh air, freeing my whole mind and giving me new visions. I was in a small school helping out kids who were in need of attention, love and some extra help with their studies. The program only lasted two weeks (it is hard to combine extra activities with modeling as everything always confirms very last minute) and  I felt the differences in terms of culture and of course had to adapt with living with the locals, something very different from what I am used to however that was all part of the greatness of my experience. My eyes opened a lot more, my heart opened a lot more, and it was reasonably prices so that is another thing I encourage you all to do (only when you feel the moment is right for you, of course). I hope I can do more of this whenever I have few weeks free. 

Another big hobby is exercise, as I consider myself an active person. I like to go to the gym during the week and design my own routines, as well as trying out some different classes in the city. I would love to try dance next. 

Last but not least, I have been enjoying is learning about nutrition lately. It is funny because I used to be that girl that would never try a vegetable and it was hard for me to eat fruits too. (When I say never I mean NEVER!) My boyfriend encouraged me to try my first salad in Milano (I will never forget it, it was hilarious) and because my job also demands taking care of myself and eating properly, it was the right moment to make a big effort and start to eat better. It has been an amazing journey even since then and I continue researching about food and discovering new things. I also started to cook at home, which I enjoy a lot. I started to be in absolute charge of my nutrition by being very aware of how important it is how you nourish yourself. I have ALWAYS loved to eat, but now I love it in a different way, a lot healthier and a lot more interesting, because now I have in my hands endless possibilities to play with! Encourage all of you too to try new meals, new recipes, new restaurants!! It's important to recognize the fuel you are putting into your body.

In addition to modeling, what else may you be doing in your future, say 5 years from now? 
I hope I have grown as a model, and from there maybe build up a company I dream about... maybe start new projects to help others... maybe start an organization, or simply quit modeling and doing something related to advertising… Honestly who knows… All of those things motivate me but who would have thought I would be modelling and living in NYC today? If I knew this 5 years ago, I would call everyone crazy. Life is a big surprise and I say let’s move by our instincts to follow our dreams, whatever they are, putting the work in, and let’s see what happens. With that, usually good things will happen. 

>> https://www.odmodc.com/odm/