Bellazon

Karlie Kloss
Thumbnail

jenibelle

55 minutes ago, Schemer said:

Huh? Her IG is fine, why would it be suspended?

Her page wasn't working a few hours ago. It's back on track now

And yeah sometimes people are over-reacting over "cultural appropriation". It's offensive if the people of the culture find it offensive. If you're a white women then you don't have to say that her shoot is offensive.

But I have to agree I find Karlie's reaction, well... She knew what she was doing and like some of you said it is not the first time she got in that type of trouble. She accepted the job because it's a fricking Vogue shoot. And she was aware of how she was dressed up and the way this shoot was going.

13 minutes ago, diamondtw said:

And yeah sometimes people are over-reacting over "cultural appropriation". It's offensive if the people of the culture find it offensive. If you're a white women then you don't have to say that her shoot is offensive.

See, that's not true. I think it's VERY necessary for white community to police itself in cases like this. From credits billing of the shoot, everyone involved sounds to be from west and of course the magazine is from US. They had to know what they were doing and that includes Anna Wintour. They just couldn't give a damn, or they intentionally wanted to cause controversy.

If we all have to wait for someone to be insulted in order to recognize something is wrong, we're not learning anything from the past mistakes.

Bemused that a shoot which, even taken in isolation, would have been a pretty poor showing from Vogue, could have found its way into the magazine's proclaimed 'diversity' issue. How no-one called that into question at any point during the editing process simply beggars belief.

It shouldn't have to be the public’s job to keep calling out magazines and celebrities for doing this kind of thing, and it shouldn't have to take a massive backlash for editors to step up and make better decisions.

1 hour ago, Schemer said:

See, that's not true. I think it's VERY necessary for white community to police itself in cases like this. From credits billing of the shoot, everyone involved sounds to be from west and of course the magazine is from US. They had to know what they were doing and that includes Anna Wintour. They just couldn't give a damn, or they intentionally wanted to cause controversy

I agree with you on this point, the team knew where they where going with this, of course. And they should have known that it would be called offensive. But I meant that often people just scream that something is a cultural appropriation when sometimes it's just embracing the culture and praising it.

She got her snapchat and facebook accounts hacked. I think she had Instagram closed for a while just in case.

1 hour ago, diamondtw said:

I agree with you on this point, the team knew where they where going with this, of course. And they should have known that it would be called offensive. But I meant that often people just scream that something is a cultural appropriation when sometimes it's just embracing the culture and praising it.

+1

1 hour ago, diamondtw said:

But I meant that often people just scream that something is a cultural appropriation when sometimes it's just embracing the culture and praising it.

It's tricky to decide what does it mean "embracing it"? You can embrace the culture with respect and you can exploit it for financial gain.

This editorial for US Vogue fits the latter case.

2 hours ago, Schemer said:

It's tricky to decide what does it mean "embracing it"? You can embrace the culture with respect and you can exploit it for financial gain.

This editorial for US Vogue fits the latter case.

Yes I know I taught about that while writing but I was thinking more in a positive way, with all due respect. Like for me a white women doing braids is not a cultural appropriation if she don't act she suddenly a black women. And yeah I agree for the latter case, and it's not the first time Karlie and neither US Vogue are put in this type of situation

2 hours ago, Schemer said:

Does that mean that the hacker is now in possession of Taylor Swift's secret snapchat account? :eyebrows:

Lmao, the girl just said a few weeks ago that she literally delivers her song to her friends door to not be hacked and you want her to give away her snapchat thru dm ? :rofl:

But it's a sad thing that Karlie got hacked, it seems it happened a lot those days

Yet no one will say a thing if Vogue Japan publishes an editorial with Japanese model wearing say a traditional Russian outfit in a traditional Russian setting.  And somehow the people who complain the loudest about cultural appropriation are almost never from the actual "appropriated" cultures. Cultural appropriation is a real thing but many people seem to find it just about anywhere which I find ridiculous.

Not that this makes this particular faux pas by Vogue any less stupid from a purely PR point of view, mind you. A sumo wrestler, really? I have to suspect they were trying to stir controversy on purpose. And yes, Karlie is being ridiculously hypocritical. Nobody forced her to do the shoot.

On 15/2/2017 at 5:25 PM, Jack Shaftoe said:

Yet no one will say a thing if Vogue Japan publishes an editorial with Japanese model wearing say a traditional Russian outfit in a traditional Russian setting.  And somehow the people who complain the loudest about cultural appropriation are almost never from the actual "appropriated" cultures. Cultural appropriation is a real thing but many people seem to find it just about anywhere which I find ridiculous.

Not that this makes this particular faux pas by Vogue any less stupid from a purely PR point of view, mind you. A sumo wrestler, really? I have to suspect they were trying to stir controversy on purpose. And yes, Karlie is being ridiculously hypocritical. Nobody forced her to do the shoot.

I think you are missing the biggest point tho, this particular issue was called "The diversity issue". How is putting a white woman dressed up as a geisha diverse? That's the problem. If it had been another issue then the backlash wouldn't be this bad, had this been a regular issue and I think people would've let it pass like they've done in the previous one thousand asian themed editorials magazines have ran before, the problem is Vogue advertising themselves as ZOMG WE ARE DIVERSE! LOOK LOOK! WE ARE INCLUSIVE!!! and then putting white woman to represent a culture she is not even remotely close to.

Diversity my ass, this was bullshit from Vogue and everyone involded in it and honestly, Karlie is just an idiot for agreeing to it (as pointed out, she already had the whole Native costume experience). I expected more from her, she's one of the few models who didn't strike me as a dumbass but I guess I was wrong :ninja: 

On 2/15/2017 at 3:29 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

I'm sorry, but this is a case of wanting her cake and eating it too.

She is a smart woman. She knew what she was doing when she showed up for the shoot.

She should have objected then.

This is a lot like Scarlett Johansson defending her casting in "Ghost in the Shell" by arguing that feminism has primacy over any objections against cultural appropriation.

Karlie should have objected.

Scarlett's role is of an android, who is technically a white woman. It's the voice actor who was Japanese, and the name as well, so they associate that role as a Japanese girl.

Can I explain cultural appropriation as an Indian in this thread here? People might see things from a different POV. I'm not Japanese, but I might be able to explain few things.

On 2/15/2017 at 4:14 PM, elfstone said:

Could anyone please elaborate upon the significance of this photoshoot?? Being a layperson I only see Karlie in some form of traditioal Chinese attire. What exactly is supposed to be offensive here? :ninja:

I don't know how to answer this.

It's actually supposed to be Japanese. The Sumo wrestler is a dead giveaway. She's wearing a kimono and some variants of that.

I think you are missing the biggest point tho, this particular issue was called "The diversity issue". How is putting a white woman dressed up as a geisha diverse? That's the problem. If it had been another issue then the backlash wouldn't be this bad...

True, but there would probably have still been some backlash. And of course, Vogue proclaiming themselves champions of diversity is a great big joke and would have been a joke even without this editorial. It simply made it even more obvious than usual.