Bellazon

2014 SI Swimsuit Model Tournament

I meant to post this before the Sexy Sixteen began, but I’ll go ahead and do it now anyway. Those of you who read SI more than once a year for the Swimsuit Issue will recognize this as being familiar. I present to you…

Numerology - Sexy Sixteen Edition

6 - Repeat Sexy Sixteen participants; Kathy Ireland, Marisa Miller, Nina Agdal, Brooklyn Decker, Bar Refaeli, and Elle Macpherson all appeared in the Sexy Sixteen of the 2013 tournament.

3 - 2014 rookies to make the Sexy Sixteen: Emily Ratajkowski, Hannah Ferguson, and Sara Sampaio

93 - Combined victories in the 2014 tournament amongst the 16 remaining models

3 - Combined losses in the 2014 tournament amongst the 16 remaining models; Marisa Miller, Julie Henderson, and Hannah Ferguson each lost one match in the Group Stage (Hannah also drew one match).

8 - Models who will lose their Sexy Sixteen match; As you can see, something will have to give… not everyone can finish unbeaten!

81.8 - Bar Refaeli’s average vote percentage in the 2014 tournament, the highest amongst Sexy Sixteen models

61.1 - Emily Ratajkowski’s average vote percentage in the 2014 tournament, the lowest amongst Sexy Sixteen models

Current Odds - Win 2014 Championship - provided for entertainment purposes only, of course :)

Nina Agdal - 8:1

Brooklyn Decker - 10:1

Marisa Miller - 10:1

Elle Macpherson - 10:1

Bar Refaeli - 10:1

Petra Nemcova - 11:1

Paulina Porizkova - 12:1

Veronica Varekova - 14:1

Emily Ratajkowski - 14:1

Heidi Klum - 15:1

Kathy Ireland - 16:1

Hannah Ferguson - 17:1

Daniela Pestova - 17:1

Cintia Dicker - 25:1

Sara Sampaio - 29:1

Julie Henderson - 52:1

Today’s results are in!

Knockout Stage - Sexy Sixteen

(9) Veronica Varekova (62.5%) defeated (1) Elle Macpherson (37.5%)

(16) Petra Nemcova (74.3%) defeated (6) Daniela Pestova (25.7%)

(9) Veronica Varekova and (16) Petra Nemcova will face each other in the Sexy Sixteen

My spin:

The Body goes bye bye. Elle Macpherson was a finalist in the 2013 tournament, but in the 2014 iteration she’s knocked out in the Sexy Sixteen by Czech beauty Veronica Varekova. Veronica has now won 7 matches without defeat. Her one close call was last round, when she narrowly defeated Natasha Barnard by a 51.3%-48.7% margin. Now, Elle wishes Natasha would have pulled out that victory. Maybe it would have been different for Elle.

In the other Sexy Sixteen match, Daniela Pestova shockingly proved to be no match for Petra Nemcova, as Petra got nearly 3/4 of the vote. I predicted a Petra win, but I would not have predicted the margin of victory. I expected a much closer match, but Petra is looking pretty unstoppable right now. But, then again, so is Veronica!

It’ll be the two Czech beauties facing off in the Quarterfinal Round. The winner claims the title of champion of the Jule Campbell Region and advances to the Semifinal Round. The loser goes home. Both of these beauties were knocked out in the round of 32 last year (Petra by Marisa Miller & Veronica by Vendela Kirsebom), so they are both having a tournament to remember.

What are your thoughts? Got any predictions? Share them!

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in!

(14) Bar Refaeli (55.9%) defeated (3) Marisa Miller (44.1%)

(15) Heidi Klum (52.8%) defeated Sara Sampaio (47.2%)

(14) Bar Refaeli and (15) Heidi Klum will face each other in the Sexy Sixteen

My spin:

Yesterday, we lost Elle Macpherson, one of the 2013 tournament’s finalists. Today, we lost the other one, as defending champion Marisa Miller was knocked off by Bar Refaeli. Once again, this proves that the difference between models 1-16 or so is very small, which makes predicting a champion very difficult!

In the other match, Heidi Klum sent the rookie home in a close one. Sara Sampaio had a great run in her rookie tournament, but she came up just a little short against the legend. It was a proud showing for Sara, though.

It’ll be Heidi and Bar facing off in the Quarterfinal Round. The winner claims the title of champion of the Elaine Farley Region and advances to the Semifinal Round. The loser goes home. Heidi was knocked out in the round of 32 last year (by giant killer Stephanie Seymour), so she will be looking to continue her best run. Bar, on the other hand, is looking to get over the hump, and she looks to better her Quarterfinal Round loss last year to Brooklyn Decker.

Thanks for voting!

Today’s results are in!

(14) Bar Refaeli (55.9%) defeated (3) Marisa Miller (44.1%)
(15) Heidi Klum (52.8%) defeated Sara Sampaio (47.2%)
(14) Bar Refaeli and (15) Heidi Klum will face each other in the Sexy Sixteen

My spin:
Yesterday, we lost Elle Macpherson, one of the 2013 tournament’s finalists. Today, we lost the other one, as defending champion Marisa Miller was knocked off by Bar Refaeli. Once again, this proves that the difference between models 1-16 or so is very small, which makes predicting a champion very difficult!

In the other match, Heidi Klum sent the rookie home in a close one. Sara Sampaio had a great run in her rookie tournament, but she came up just a little short against the legend. It was a proud showing for Sara, though.

It’ll be Heidi and Bar facing off in the Quarterfinal Round. The winner claims the title of champion of the Elaine Farley Region and advances to the Semifinal Round. The loser goes home. Heidi was knocked out in the round of 32 last year (by giant killer Stephanie Seymour), so she will be looking to continue her best run. Bar, on the other hand, is looking to get over the hump, and she looks to better her Quarterfinal Round loss last year to Brooklyn Decker.

Thanks for voting!

I think it was unexpected that Marisa would lose in that round.

Based on the points and that Bar won that round I expect Bar will win against Heidi. Also I think it's "Elaine D'Farley".

Ignoring the points, I expect Nina has probably the best chance of winning - which would agree with your odds. Though I think Petra and Veronika have had high scores so might stand a chance of winning.

I think it was unexpected that Marisa would lose in that round.

Based on the points and that Bar won that round I expect Bar will win against Heidi. Also I think it's "Elaine D'Farley".

Ignoring the points, I expect Nina has probably the best chance of winning - which would agree with your odds. Though I think Petra and Veronika have had high scores so might stand a chance of winning.

I was wondering what the heck you were talking about with Elaine D'Farley. I was positive that it was Elaine Farley. In fact, we're apparently both right. She was known as Elaine Farley in her SI editor days, and you can see her name in dozens of references to her work at SI. But, now she seems to go by D'Farley, as evidenced by her current LinkedIn profile.  Another odd bit of SI trivia to file away, I guess. :)

Thanks for commenting! I like to see the discussion. 

Today’s results are in!

Julie Henderson (62.9%) defeated (13) Paulina Porizkova (37.1%)

(8) Brooklyn Decker (57.6%) defeated Emily Ratajkowski (42.4%)

Julie Henderson and (8) Brooklyn Decker will face each other in the Sexy Sixteen

My spin:

Well, the surprises just keep coming! Julie Henderson pulled off an upset against Paulina Porizkova, ruining the chances of having three Czech beauties in the final 8. Coming into the tournament, I thought it would be a good accomplishment if Julie made it through to the Knockout Stage. Given her group, with reasonably tough opponents like Chrissy Teigen, Karen Mulder, and Kara Young, getting through would be a challenge. I never would have expected that she would make the final 8! Great job.

Things will get really tough for Julie now, though, as Brooklyn Decker looms. Brooklyn was the one to finally knock off red-hot rookie Emily Ratajkowski in a pretty close match. Emily goes home after the Sexy Sixteen this year, but she’ll have plenty of chances in future years.

So, it’s Julie Henderson vs. Brooklyn Decker for the Diane Smith Region championship and a spot in the Semifinal Round. Brooklyn is the obvious favorite to the win, but maybe Julie can continue to surprise after all? 

Thanks for voting!

as much as I don't understand Pestova losing so badly. I cannot fathom Henderson beating Paulina. It is the equivalent of a High School football team beating the Seattle Seahawks.

+1. And a hilarious +1, at that. :)

I think Julie has some good photos, though... those that show off her body more than the facial features. Those types of photos can hang with a lot of SI's best. But, yeah, I'm still shocked.

Today’s results are in!

(21) Nina Agdal (78.6%) defeated Cintia Dicker (21.4%)

Hannah Ferguson (53.6%) defeated (2) Kathy Ireland (46.4%)

(21) Nina Agdal and Hannah Ferguson will face each other in the Sexy Sixteen

My spin:

Another upset hits the tournament, but this time one that may have been on ranking only. Hannah Ferguson becomes the only rookie to reach the Quarterfinal Round with her narrow victory over SI legend Kathy Ireland. I actually predicted this one a few days ago, so I’m not surprised, but I thought it could go either way. Hannah could have herself a long SI career if both sides care to do so.

In the other match, Nina Agdal continued to steamroll her opponents. This time, Cintia Dicker was the unfortunate victim, as she is knocked out after a wonderful run in this year’s tournament. This loss to Nina was Cintia’s only loss, and she has been very impressive in her wins, especially last round’s beating of Irina Shayk.

So, it’s Nina against the Rookie for the M.J. Day Region championship and a spot in the Semifinal Round. Nina obviously goes in as the favorite, but can Hannah spoil her fun? 

Thanks for voting!

The first Quarterfinal Round matches will be posted in about 20 hours from now, but for now I’ll post the updated odds to win the championship, for entertainment purposes only, of course! :)

(8) Brooklyn Decker - 4/1

(21) Nina Agdal - 9/2

(14) Bar Refaeli - 5/1

(16) Petra Nemcova - 6/1

(9) Veronica Varekova - 13/2

(15) Heidi Klum - 15/2

Hannah Ferguson - 17/2

Julie Henderson - 22/1

Brooklyn Decker assumes the role of favorite to win the tournament now. “How could Nina Agdal possibly not be the favorite anymore after she trounced her opponent?!?” 

It’s nearly all to do with Brooklyn’s matchup with Julie Henderson, which is certainly the easiest matchup of those remaining. Julie is a big underdog. So, Brooklyn has a better chance of advancing past this round than our previous favorite, Nina.

Feel free to post agreements or disagreements!

Today’s results are in!

Knockout Stage - Quarterfinal Round

(16) Petra Nemcova (65.5%) defeated (9) Veronica Varekova (34.5%)

(14) Bar Refaeli (63.4%) defeated (15) Heidi Klum (36.6%)

(16) Petra Nemcova and (14) Bar Refaeli will face each other in the Semifinal Round

My spin:

Petra Nemcova outdistanced fellow Czech beauty Veronica Varekova to win the Jule Campbell Region championship and advance to the Semifinal Round. I thought Petra was a slight favorite to win this match, but I’m surprised by the final margin. What an impressive win for Petra against an unbeaten opponent who came in having just knocked off the #1 overall seed, Elle Macpherson.

Petra’s next opponent will be Bar Refaeli, who also had an unexpectedly easy time getting past Heidi Klum to win the Elaine Farley Region. Bar has had three very tough opponents in her past three matches. She has faced Hannah Davis, defending champion Marisa Miller, and supermodel Heidi Klum, but she’s gotten the better of each of them.

So, who will win Petra vs. Bar to advance to the Championship Match? I have no idea. I think Bar is a slight favorite to come out on top, but both have been very impressive.

Thanks for voting!