Bellazon

MAC or PC?

all things equal, Mac is much better. linux is just much better for a platform. and you don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

for the PC, there's much more software, if that matters. if you're going to play games, it's PC. and upgrading is way cheaper. ultimately, the PC is faster than the Mac, but that might not matter

have you ever used a mac before? its a learning curve. id only get one if you were particularly interested in the aesthetics of the computers. otherwise a PC is just that much more versatile.

PS another note, my mums mac book has suffered a ram blow out and a internal modem failure and the computer isnt even a year old....

all things equal, Mac is much better. linux is just much better for a platform. and you don't have to worry about compatibility issues.

for the PC, there's much more software, if that matters. if you're going to play games, it's PC. and upgrading is way cheaper. ultimately, the PC is faster than the Mac, but that might not matter

In regards to software, the new macs can run PC software now.

oy

to do basic stuff, the mac is easier. it's built to be easier for everything. but it's also a lot more accessible as a power user because of linux.

parts failures I can't address. I think macs are generally reliable.

and yes, they now run PC software as well, although since I have both I don't bother.

and the 1-button mouse? toss it! I have logitech mice for both machines. most mice are too small for my hands anyway.

well, photoshop = mac. games = pc. depends what kind of games though. the latest graphics-based games PC, but simpler games are out there for mac.

plus, the mac community is seriously fun and rabid. you can't beat that.

PC is a much better platform. Back in the day a mac could outperform a PC in heavy processing/ram intensive applications (aka PS and video editing) thus the strong userbase in those fields. Since then a PC has become a much faster platform and will outperform a mac in most of those fields. Just recently the macs switched to the same hardware that PCs use so essentialy your paying a huge premium for an OS. And yes you can run 99.9% of your windows apps on a mac using an emulator (which means they run slower) and there is no guarantee there wont be bugs in the emulation. You can also use boot camp, but that just means your gonna have to shell out for a windows licence which means even more money burnt for your mac.

PC is the best answer imo.

it's true that PC has come a long way in the past decade - and keep in mind that I use PC as well - but just the idea of open source is more appealing. so mac and linux and all the open source software is just better than having a 'state-controlled' OS like windows where all the API's are under wraps and you have to be a serious power user to get the results you want.

but the biggest thing is that MS pushes you to have all kinds of security holes so they can monitor your every move and store all your data. it's ugly. I spent 3 days tweaking my windows before I connected it to the Net.