Isabeli Fontana

Guest Anonymous

new Sunday Times Style february 2017

ph: Ben Watts
Styling: Sarah Cobb
Hair: Leon Gorman
Make-up: Jodie Boland

4665467.jpg 6585542.jpg 6893003.jpg 3959174.jpg 1098949.jpg 3430019.jpg

Isabeli Fontana has been professionally beautiful for 20 years. When she entered a modelling competition aged 13, a scout in the audience had the good sense to sign her up there and then: she upped sticks from her native Brazil to the fashion capital of Milan, and three years later was in the Victoria’s Secret catalogue at 16 — their youngest ever model. Then came repeat appearances in those other two benchmarks of blockbuster sex appeal: Sports Illustrated’s swimsuit issue and the Pirelli calendar. By 2008, she was on the Forbes list of highest earning models in the world.One look at Isabeli, now 33, and of course it makes sense. It brings to mind that Nora Ephron line about making the most of being young: “Go, right this minute, put on a bikini, and don’t take it off until you’re 34.” Ask any designer or photographer to name the sexiest models in the world and Isabeli will be up there, alongside fellow box-office Brazilians such as Alessandra Ambrosio, Adriana Lima and Raquel Zimmermann, who all came up together during the early Noughties. Isabeli has been the face of Viktor & Rolf’s hugely successful Flowerbomb fragrance since 2008, artfully wrapped in a ribbon for the ad that’s become a fixture in glossy magazines. She even kept clothing to a minimum when she married last year on a private island in the Maldives, wearing just a bandeau bra and high-waisted knickers with a floaty see-through slip of a wedding dress on top, because, really, if you were Isabeli Fontana, wouldn’t you?

Now nearly 1m Instagram followers scroll through the minutiae of her life: surfing on the beach with her husband, the Brazilian rock star Diego Ferrero, taking selfies in the rainforest, having dinner with her sons, Zion, 13, and Lucas, 10, on billboards for this season’s La Perla and Balmain campaigns. We sent her a quick-fire round of questions to get a glimpse into the life of a supermodel who is always in fashion.

Whereabouts is home for you?
Sao Paulo, for now.
Who was your first friend in the fashion industry?
Mario Testino. We met when he came to Brazil. We later worked on a Ralph Lauren advertising campaign and again for the cover of French Vogue, shot in Peru in 2013.
What’s the best piece of modelling advice you’ve ever received?
Silence — it’s important to focus and connect with the team.
Which is your most-used emoji?
The heart-eyes and the aeroplane, because I’m always in love and love to fly away.
Who is the last person you called?
My son.
Which WhatsApp groups do you have?
Work groups — to keep in touch with my managers.
What’s your current iPhone screensaver?
A landscape.
What’s your favourite Portuguese saying?
Saudade! It’s a good thing, it means to miss someone.
Aside from property, travel and clothes, what is your biggest luxury?
Interior design.
Which has been your favourite photoshoot?
One of the most memorable was working with Richard Avedon for the Hermès campaign in 2004. I was 21 at the time, it was an honour to be able to work with such a legendary photographer. His studio environment was very intimate, the shooting area was blocked off so only a small number of people could enter. He knew exactly what he wanted the image to look like. I remember he shot using a film camera with a very slow shutter speed, and he composed the image so carefully, it only needed a click to capture it.
If you could pack only five items in your make-up bag, what would they be?
My L’Oréal eyeliner, mascara, purple lipstick, shimmer and SPF50.
How often do you work out?
I try to walk uphill on a treadmill every day for 40 minutes. I do Pilates, too, and I love to meditate.
What music are you listening to right now?
NX Zero [her husband’s band].
What TV show are you currently watching?
Marco Polo on Netflix.
Last film you saw?
XXX: Return of Xander Cage starring Vin Diesel. I saw it with my sons in New York.
What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Balance.
What makes you angry?
Disrespect.
What’s your most overused phrase?
“You know…”
What’s your worst habit?
Chocolate.

thetimes.co.uk