Bellazon

Book recommendations

Guest quasicartes

Children of Dune - Frank Herbert

This is probably my all time favorite book. :) I think I was 12? when I first read it and I couldn't put it down(although this isn't book that most 12 years olds would attempt to read/understand) After I was done reading it, I cried. (no one (important)dies but it's very tragic if you understand it) It was extremely powerful and moving; I couldn't even stop thinking about it for about a month after I was done with it. I read it every time I have free time and nothing new to read. :)

It's the climax of a trilogy but you don't have to have read any of the other books to understand it.

· His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman is really good.

· If you're into Wizard of Oz, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire is interesting.

· The Sharpe Series by Bernard Cornwell is good if you like historical fiction

· Neverwhere and American Gods by Neil Gaimen

· And Good Omens, as Capt said. :heart:

The Little Prince is an unforgettable classic. Adults and kids alike will love it. It's so sweet. It's hands down my fave book ever written.

The Count of Monte Cristo, the book is AMAZING. There are just no other words for it. It's got everything in it. The latest movie was really great, but it was incompareable to the book. It's just so rich.

And The Alchemist by Paul Coelho. It's absolutely beautiful and inspiring.

For LOTR fans or fantasy fans, The Silmarillion by Tolkien is amazing. Goes into the history of middle earth, in the first. (Lotr is set in the end of the second age)

The entire collection of Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series is a must for vamp lovers. Caution, the later books contain graphic sex scenes, I would beware of giving them to someone younger.

There's also her Merry Gentry series. Agains more supernatural, slightly dark fantasy. Great great stuff :)

And you probably cant go wrong with the DaVinci code, since it's so massively popular. Love it or hate it, I think it's a must read

Non fiction, it's a bit harder. Seabiscuit, the book, was incredible. Totally recommend it.

The Little Prince is an unforgettable classic. Adults and kids alike will love it. It's so sweet. It's hands down my fave book ever written.

Of course! How could I forget about this one <_< I love this book.

nobody's perfect, dude.

German classic: "Goetter, Graber und Gelehrte" by C.W. Ceram

don't know if its translated in English.

Its about archaeology, a brief (600 pages) book about important cultures. Like south american ones, egypt, babylonia, greece, and so forth. Really tough to read, but you are proud once you are done ;)

It took me like ages, but once you are done, you have at least a rough picture abouts mankinds evolution.

another good book: "into thin air" by Jon Krakauer.

• 2 months later...

if anyone here can read spanish, i recommend federico garcia lorca's 3 plays: la casa de bernarda alba (the house of bernarda alba), yerma (yerma), and bodas de sangre (blood weddings). my personal favorite was la casa de bernarda alba and i saw it acted out in this spanish literature theater in nyc. if u cant read spanish, then there are english translations but i think some of the stuff just SOUNDS better in spanish :p

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...