Bellazon

Books you are reading

KingSupra

:p What ? Rubem's book ? Oh, it's a book of tales about woman. It's really a great book. It's about how women can be dangerous and powerfull too!

Aha no no no, the terrible Chuck book? Aha really? Are you dangerous & powerful? :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...
the lovely bones

and

het gouden ei

(from the movie 'the vanishing')

the lovely bones, I admire that book! it's great

i'm reading: The Black Dahlia by Ellroy. It's boring.

and? is it as great as davids film?

Catcher in the Rye

That is one of my favorite books of all time, such a classic.

I remember I didn't enjoy the process of reading "Catcher in the Rye." I found the tone very dull, boring, and a little monotonous. But after I completed it, it took a few hours when I was suddenly swept by a realization and felt inspired. I think this is a book worth reading, although patience is virtue in this sense, and its message will stay with you for a long time.

I finished "Rich Dad, Poor Dad," a non-fiction by Robert T. Kiyosaki. Not sure what I got out of it... :laugh:

Now I'm starting on "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides. This is a recommendation by a close friend. A short summary on the back cover:

"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974."

So begins the breathtaking story of Calliope Stephanides and three generations of the Greek-American Stephanides family, who travel from a tiny village overlooking Mount Olympus in Asia Minor to Prohibition-era Detroit, witnessing its glory days as the Motor City, and the race riots of 1967, before they move out to the tree-lined streets of suburban Grosse Point, Michigan.

To understand why Calliope is not like other girls, she has to uncover a guilty family secret and the astonishing genetic history that turns her into Cal, one of the most audacious and wondrous narrators in contemporary fiction. Lyrical and thrilling, MIDDLESEX is an exhilarating reinvention of the American epic.

Looks pretty interesting to me.

Also reading up classics online, currently engaged with the English translation of Miguel Cervantes' "Don Quixote" by John Ormsby.

• 2 weeks later...

Paint it Black

Janet Fitch

0316182745.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally! I've been wanting to read this book forever and I bought it when it first came out for like $50 and now that school is finally over I can read it! I started last night and I'm on chapter three right now. It's so good already! :hehe: It's set in the late 1980's if not '81 so theres a lot of narratives about the downfall of the ageing hippies and artists from the 60's who are still clinging onto that old lifestyle.

[All you have to do is mention hippies in something and I love it :D :laugh:]