Bellazon

General Discussion

rosada

Even the young(er) models today can't get American Vogue covers let alone 3 in one year at age 18/19 like Gisele did. that was huge.

Different eras though. Even full blown celeb models don't get US Vogue just like that anymore. I think it means more for a model to get a US Vogue cover now than back in the day.

I know its different eras but Gisele still got them from 99 to 2010. but yeah defnitely harder for models now. Sometimes I think a reality star would have a bigger chance than most models would. :yuckky:

(sorry for my constant nostalgia of the greatest f*cking modeling era that ever existed, lol...)

damn I swear they built their new house for privacy. Since she has moved into that home in LA we get zero pap pics or sightings of her....I think she has enough there to never leave the house.

^I wondered that too. I mean VF is barely even fashion oriented, so IDK why they keep doing that. But I thought the shoot was one of Kate Moss's best. ;)

So don't know if this news was posted, about Gisele being in Gilles Bensimon's new supermodel exhibit.

http://www.modelinia...xhibition/47318

Was this photo shot by him? What is this shoot? is there more? :drool::hehe:

1.jpg

Kate Moss Vanity Fair cover was the worst selling of 2012. Vanity Fair readers can clearly give a rats a** about models.

http://www.fabsugar....8509749?slide=6

I always wondered why they put models on VF. The typical reader is older, much older,males who mostly care about history and politics.

^I don't think miche was suggesting that gisele would have made that sell better, I think she was touching on the point that its stupid they even put models on their covers period (right miche?) Considering the magazine isn't all to fashion oriented! But a little off topic on Kate Moss, that VF cover and editorial was my favorite Kate Moss work EVER. I just loved it. :heart: Also speaking of Kate Moss, I totally want Gisele and Kate to do a cover together :drool: Kate and Naomi do a lot of duo work together, and I want some of gisele and kate :yes:

yep that was by him and here's the link of full shoot :pElle US January 2003 - "The Artist And His Model"http://giselebundche...s.php?album=892

I wasn't slamming Kate. :idk: just saying don't see the point of putting models on VF period considering their audience does not care about models (obviously) basically if Le Moss and La Gisele can't sell their covers, no model can. :laugh: (imo) That was my point. Gisele didn't sell well in 09 and Kate didnt sell well in 2012. which doesn't look good for models on the cover of VF...

and actually Gisele's 2007 VF cover was one of their best sellers that year. so who knows. Maybe the month has something to do with which sales best or not? I also think Gisele's hunched over "high fashion" pose on her 2009 cover was "ugly" to your average reader.

and yes Im in the camp of knowing why Gisele,Kate and a few others are the go to covergirls for years and years; of course there will be hits and misses along the way but generally they sell or we simply wouldn't see them nabbing all the covers. :)

so agree on the over-usage of the Supermodel word now days. one of my biggest pet peeves. :laugh: The funniest part is when the said catalog model calls themselves supermodel, when even Cindy Crawford doesn't refer to herself as such. :rofl:

Want a Kate/Gisele shoot too, the last one they did was Gloria Vanderbilt.

They did 09 Versace but don't know if they shot together or not.

I want a 90s Supermodel (in particular: Cindy,Linda,Claudia,Helena,Stephanie,Christy,Naomi,Kate)+ Gisele Versace campaign sooooo bad. I imagine its quite hard to get all those women together at once though. :p

Well there ya go. This is exactly why I doubted People offering Gisele a million bucks to pose with her family. Both Kate and Gisele are totally famous. But they lack popularity now. Gisele's 2007 VF cover was when her name was heavily still linked to Leo and she was still or just quit VS. She was popular. That's why her VF 2007 cover sold. 2009 was when she was very 'silent' that's why that cover bombed so hard. It was the worst in 2 years? Her Marie Claire cover did pretty badly too.

The US is crazy. They live for celebs, as in movie stars and singers. I think supermodels can do well on the cover of only Vogue US because their readers would be familiar and interested in them. I don't think even more commercial magazines like Elle would be able to accommodate them on the cover. The only model I have hope in is Upton. I can't believe I just said that because I don't like her...but it's the truth. And it seems when the VS girls come together for a cover they sell... I haven't read any complains from magazines regarding their ability to sell covers.... They did Elle, Esquire etc and they did well. Heidi Klum still sells covers in the US but can we still call her a model?

Back to Kate, if this was 2005 also known as the year of her scandal, this cover would have sold like hot cakes :whistle:

I wish for a Gisele + Karolina cover/shoot so bad A VI cover would be a dream come true :D! Gisele + 90s supermodel would hurt either :Angel: It may be hard to achieve but not impossible :neo2:

The term supermodel is so loosely used, first article on any site and already a supermodel? Give me a break!

Agree about Kate Upton, she does have the media behind her to eventually get the coverage in order to sell magazines. And are you sure Heidi still sells :idk: ? We will see at the end of this semester.

I think you will only hear of well selling covers and bad selling. the mediocre ones won't get mentions. (just as everything safe I guess).

The worst part for me is seeing a reality "star" selling well. I guess we can say they have taken the spot formally held by models. :ninja:

I think Kate and Gisele won't sell as good as actresses but there is a reason they get covers over many other models. for models; they can move mags.

and of course Gisele overall sells, this is one of her biggest legacies as a model.

Many love to argue why her career far surpassed her peers, when she is not even "conventionally beautiful". She's been more hit than miss. come on over 1000 covers in 15 years and we have only heard of 2 not selling well! That's not a bad track record if you ask me. :laugh:

I don't doubt Upton can sell just as Gisele did at that age... Gisele was super popular at age 20 as well.

I'd say Gisele's glory days were 1998-2008. She's a semi retired model, mom,charity ambassador,business woman blah blah blah now (not exactly thrilling subjects to the audience young models have ...) I dont think its even fair to compare her to young, new it girls. :p She sells to a different market now just like Cindy,Linda,Claudia etc.

Heidi is more of a tv personality anymore these days. When is the last time she modeled? All her shoots are for Cosmo and Marie Claire promoting her reality tv shows. Project Runway is successful and many Americans get to know her from that each week. If she sells I think its because she falls more under the reality tv star selling in America better than a model can...

I think its most fair to categorize models like this:

Tyra/Heidi

90s Supermodels/Gisele/Kate

VS models/SI models

fashion it girls ie; Kate,Karlie,Lara,Joan...

I don't think Gi has ever been "the most popular." from what I've seen being her fan, people either love her or hate her, there is no in between (which coincidentally I think has helped her) and Tom's ex baby mama drama did not help at all. :ninja:

gustav, Heidi still sells. Her Lucky and Glamour covers were the second best seller in 2011. And she has a 2012 Allure cover and 2013 Marie Claire. She still got it. Bit like I said... she isn't really a model now. But some celebs still flop at selling some covers even if they popular so...

Miche, I won't even start with my contempt and hate for reality stars. Sometimes, I wish the most popular model of today could come together and have each others backs just to get back the covers so the reality stars would disappear.

gustav, Heidi still sells. Her Lucky and Glamour covers were the second best seller in 2011. And she has a 2012 Allure cover and 2013 Marie Claire. She still got it. Bit like I said... she isn't really a model now. But some celebs still flop at selling some covers even if they popular so...

Miche, I won't even start with my contempt and hate for reality stars. Sometimes, I wish the most popular model of today could come together and have each others backs just to get back the covers so the reality stars would disappear.