Mother agency: Models 1

Fashion Shows

Ready to Wear - Spring/Summer 2014 {Burberry Prorsum}

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Birth date: 27.04.95

Birthplace: Coventry, UK

Ethnic Origin: Indian

Nickname: I don’t have any. My name is too weird for a nickname!

How were you scouted: I was scouted by various agencies and then went into Models1 for a walk in and got signed on the spot

What’s your best feature: My hair!

Favourite grooming product: Cocoa butter lip balm

Hobbies: Baking, cooking, reading, shopping, meeting my friends and exercising

Fitness Regime: Working out three times a week and eating healthy

Favourite Movie: The Godfather, Scarface and Training day

What was the last track you listened to on your iPod?: Wale – Clappers

Do you have any Guilty Pleasures?: Yes! So many! For example watching Jersey Shore

What is your biggest fear?: My loved ones dying

What is your dream country to visit?: Greece

If you were not modeling, what would you be doing?: Studying psychology at university

If you got to relive one day in your modeling career it would be…: The day I walked for Burberry Prorsum at London fashion week

If you could be on the cover of any magazine, it would be: Vogue!

What’s the funniest thing that has happened to you on a shoot?: When a stylist used Vaseline to try and fit my foot into a shoe that was three sizes too small for me!

What’s your favorite fashion city and why?: London because I love the shopping and street-style

Who are your idols?: My parents

What was the last dream you remember?: I had a dream that I was on holiday with my family and that I was sunbathing on the beach with my sisters

One word to describe yourself: Determined

Twitter name: @NeelamJohal

Instagram name: @NeelamJohal

How much money would you need to shave your hair off? A lot seeing as I constantly turn down offers to chop my hair off!!!!

ftape.com

Name:

Neelam Johal

Agency:

Models 1

Height:

5’10″

Place of Origin:

Coventry, UK

Ethnic Origin:

Indian

Birthsign:

Taurus (it fits me perfectly!)

How discovered:

Scouted then had a walk-in at the agency

Favorite things:

Shopping, Nandos, spending time with my sisters and exercising (it makes me feel good!)

Favorite music, band:

I’ve always loved rap and R&B. Currently I’m listening to Drake’s new album (Nothing Was The Same), Kanye’s new album (Yeezus) and Jay Z’s new album (Magna Carter Holy Grail).

Favorite movie, tv show:

My favourite TV show has to be Keeping up with the Kardashians (or any of the spin offs), The Real Housewives of Atlanta and The Great British Bake Off. I’m not a film lover because I hate sitting down for that amount of time, but I’m obsessed with The Godfather trilogy.

Favorite designer, fragrance or beauty product:

In terms of clothing, my favourite designers are Burberry, Alexander Wang and Balenciaga. My favourite fragrance is YSL Elle (I’ve worn it for years and it’s my signature scent), and my favourite beauty product is MAC Snob (lipstick) because it’s the perfect baby pink shade.

What would you be doing if you weren’t modeling?

Studying Psychology at university.

What’s something uncool that you love anyway?

Reading! Since a young age I’ve always loved reading books and I’ve never grown out of it. It’s a form of escapism.

Favorite modeling experience so far?

That definitely has to be walking as a global exclusive for Burberry, because it was my first ever show and it was amazing! Plus, Christopher Bailey is genuinely one of the sweetest guys I’ve ever met, so he made me feel very welcomed into the Burberry family.

What’s the best thing about your hometown/country?

I like the fact that its small because when I go home it’s completely different from London, for example when I go to bed its completely silent outside, which is nice after you spend time in a place full of hustle and bustle.

Which brand would you really love to model for?

I have always loved Burberry, so now I’ve ticked that off my list I’d LOVE to do a Burberry campaign. But in terms of fashion week, I think it would be fun to walk for Chanel in Paris, because the shows/collection are always amazing.

Place you would love to visit:

Brazil, New York and the Maldives!

Currently you’re obsessed with/about:

The current book I’m reading because it’s by my all time favourite author (Khaled Hosseini – And The Mountains Echoed)

models.com

Meet Neelam Gill, the 18-Year-Old Indian Model Who's Making Waves in the Fashion World

This rising star has staying power. Here's why.

As the oldest of three sisters, Neelam Gill isn't used to being the baby of the family. But she's fast finding out it's not such a bad gig when you're the newest member of the Burberry clan and everyone from Jourdan Dunn to Christopher Bailey is welcoming you with open arms—not to mention giving you a few tips on how to make it down your very first catwalk.

That's right: The 18-year-old from Coventry, England walked her first show ever at London Fashion Week this past September, debuting at Burberry. A coveted spot in the British brand's spring campaign, lensed by the legendary Mario Testino, soon followed. Those trench-coat-and-tartan-clad kids plastered on billboards and in the pages of magazines? Yep, she's one of them.

While career highs like this would be a major deal for anyone, it's doubly so for Neelam, who's the first Indian model ever to be cast in a Burberry campaign, joining the ranks of slightly more expected girls like Kate Moss and Cara Delevingne. "Before doing the show, it didn't really cross my mind," she says. "But afterwards I went on Style.com and was looking through the pictures, and I realized that I was the only Indian model." Then came the tweets, the messages, and the 'We're so proud of you!'s. "That's when it really dawned on me." (And if her name sounds almost-familiar to you, it could be because until recently she went by Neelam Johal.)

She may be an industry rookie, but Neelam recognizes the significance of her role. "Fashion reaches all different ethnicities, and the market is so wide now that customers truly aren't going to be just one skin tone," she says. "I'm really happy that I'm working for a company that embraces diversity, especially because Burberry's a British brand and they realize that being British doesn't just mean being white." This patriotism extends to other areas of her life, too—notably the kitchen, where she specializes in whipping up classic English dishes like chicken and meat pie and roast dinners. Do we smell a guest spot on Jourdan Dunn's cooking show in the future? We sure hope so.

Speaking of celebs, Neelam's already managed to reach the pinnacle of sightings: Harry Styles, who was "really nice and friendly" when she met him backstage at Fashion Week. Though for the most part, her musical tastes tend to favor the other side of the Atlantic: "I go to tons of concerts," she says, rattling off a list of favorites that include Jay-Z, Kanye West, and her number one: Drake. "I love Drake so much," she says, laughing.

A bookworm at heart, Neelam graduated high school last year with A-levels (that's Brit speak for advanced courses) in English literature and language, as well as history and psychology. She has her sights on pursuing psych in college eventually, but made the decision early on to give herself a year to try out this whole modeling thing. Needless to say, she's off to a raring good start.

Though she may not have homework to do at the moment, waiting around on set gives her plenty of time to indulge her love of reading. Right now, To Kill a Mockingbird is stashed in her bag right alongside the high heels she totes to castings—heels that, a few months ago, she didn't even know how to walk in. Luckily, dedication pays off, and for the three months between Neelam's first casting and her Burberry debut, she "literally practiced every day, in loads of different heels. I would go to my agency and practice in front of all the bookers until it was perfect." With that kind of work ethic, we're sure to be seeing a whole lot more Neelam in the very near future.

teenvogue