Bellazon

The Avengers, Age of Ultron, Infinity War & Endgame (2012-2019)

Ana Beatriz Barros Fan

Thumbs up for me. Some people are nitpicking it but I thought it was a wonderful movie. There was just enough done to the characters. Each character had a decent plot each and had some wonderful displays. I loooooved Elizabeth as Wanda. They really focused and developed her, more than Pietro. Honestly I think it's hard for them to top Quicksilver in Days of Future Past.

Overall I loved it. Fun action comic book movie. Different to the first. A bit more dark. And we got to see a lot more of Hawkeye. They gave him more depth and a real focus.

I looooooved Age of Ultron.  :dance:

I'm so glad we got to see the real Hawkeye; the trick arrows, the humour, and not under mind control by a crazy god. I loved every character apart from Widow but that's because I've never been a fan. I love Wanda too. Looking forward to the next Avengers.

Just saw it tonight at the midnight release! I really enjoyed it. It was a good, entertaining movie. I agree, really loved that they fleshed Clint out, and Elizabeth was perfection. :heart: I also really loved the party scene, seeing all the characters in that environment with Sam and Rodney.

• 2 weeks later...

The consensus will be that it isn't as good as the original and quite honestly it isn't, although not by a lot. It fell short of my absolute best-case scenario through a few slight irritations (the subplot with Thor at the mystical pool only barely made sense, and the double telegraphing of Hawkeye seemed a bit clumsy), but it was still such a ridiculous amount of fun. There were more than enough dazzling action sequences and clever visual gags to make up for any minor complaints, it didn't take itself too seriously and made sure it delivered on big set pieces that are better than the usual fare. Overall, I think it's safe to say that Whedon has made another must-see summer blockbuster. :yes:

Can't believe it's been almost two years since I first started the topic. :o

Yeah, now that they’ve nailed down 'Infinity War', I expect the rumors and speculation to intensify for the directors of Captain Marvel, Black Panther and the Inhumans. I'd actually quite like to see Whedon step in and direct the former.

Forgot to mention it before, but I thought it was another nice touch for the same tech guy who refused to launch Robert Redford's Hydra gunships in 'Winter Soldier', to be on board Fury's aircraft carrier in this one. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

The hype is where most of the fun is, right?  I think that's what comic book movies bring to the table: their long-lived mythology.  The whole infrastructure set up beforehand benefits it, and these films get pretty good financial success.

I did pay attention to some of the post-Fury Road/Dark Knight hype and had a good time.  I payed some attention to the pre-Dark Knight Rises and had more fun before the movie than during and afterwards (lol).  Marvel isn't my area so I missed out on this.

The consensus will be that it isn't as good as the original and quite honestly it isn't, although not by a lot. It fell short of my absolute best-case scenario through a few slight irritations (the subplot with Thor at the mystical pool only barely made sense, and the double telegraphing of Hawkeye seemed a bit clumsy), but it was still such a ridiculous amount of fun. There were more than enough dazzling action sequences and clever visual gags to make up for any minor complaints, it didn't take itself too seriously and made sure it delivered on big set pieces that are better than the usual fare. Overall, I think it's safe to say that Whedon has made another must-see summer blockbuster. :yes:

Can't believe it's been almost two years since I first started the topic. :o

On 04/06/2015 at 2:04 AM, Cult Icon said:

The hype is where most of the fun is, right?  I think that's what comic book movies bring to the table: their long-lived mythology.  The whole infrastructure set up beforehand benefits it, and these films get pretty good financial success.

I did pay attention to some of the post-Fury Road/Dark Knight hype and had a good time.  I payed some attention to the pre-Dark Knight Rises and had more fun before the movie than during and afterwards (lol).  Marvel isn't my area so I missed out on this.

This is true. :yes: I've always enjoyed watching information about casting choices and suchlike roll in, the various interpretations on how future storylines might intertwine with past ones, and announcements that inspire new ideas. That being said, I think it can be a bit of a double-edged sword at times. It seemed like the hype machine kicked into gear particularly early for 'Ultron', and that inevitably brings backlash.

It's very easy to fall into the trap of building yourself up so much and becoming so fixated on being determined to enjoy a film for what it is, that it can stop you from being fully 'in the moment' when you see it. Take something like 'Frozen' for example, the folks who originally saw it hyped it up so much that when the stragglers eventually got around to going, they had unrealistic expectations and were almost invariably disappointed. I was one of those who saw it much much later, long after everyone else had told me how wonderful and different it was, and how much better it was than the standard Disney fare. Sadly, it was always going to be a uphill struggle for the film to live up to that.

Although I suppose it's a bit different with Marvel, by the nature of how they choose to tell their stories. The level of planning and commitment they show to their continuing arc is pretty astounding, but at the same time, if you don't particularly care for one of the individual stories, there'll be another one along in a minute that you might prefer. :laugh:

The original Avengers however was considered good but not "Dark knight batsh*t crazy best movie on  IMDB" good- did the hype promise something even better?

I re-watched some of the TDKR scenes and checked the Bane origin comic again- IMHO the director fell too much into the fan-service trap by including too many unnecessary characters like Crane, Robin, Talia gul, Catwoman, etc. which ended up compromising the quality of the picture.  I distinctly remember these characters being hyped up so much weeks before the film yet they ended up taking away rather than adding for the most part by making the narrative of the picture rather awkward while adding even more awkward plot twists.

The very inclusion of these side characters raise the hype level and movie speculation dramatically.

I have noticed something similar with "Ultron"- a large array of characters appeared which carried their backstories from the comics with them.  And then of course, the same type of hype/speculation.

It's very easy to fall into the trap of building yourself up so much and becoming so fixated on being determined to enjoy a film for what it is, that it can stop you from being fully 'in the moment' when you see it.

That's quite an interesting observation.  Also, I've been recommended watching "Frozen" by several people but I never got a chance because frankly I don't watch kid's animated movies...

Yeah, Marvel I really still don't get it 100%.  The whole business model too...out of the characters available the only one that I have some affinity to is  Punisher and to a much smaller extent, Wolverine and Magneto (their solo, self-contained stories I do check).  But in the group stories each character gets quite small amount of face-time and since I don't have prior knowledge the continuity doesn't really work for me- it seems like I'm dropping into the middle of sitcom or TV series, and have no idea what happened before and thus don't have an idea why what's happening now is important.  So I don't get into it. 

Yeah, ‘Avengers’ was a critical and commerical smash, although I didn't think it presented itself as anything other than a good, fun superhero adventure, which is exactly what it was. My expectations were nowhere near as high for it as they were for TDKR, but it delivered on virtually everything I'd hoped. A lot depended on the believability of the CGI Hulk, and he was almost perfect. The hype surrounding the movie seemed to gather pace over time, I suspect because it improves with repeated viewings. In the tradition of things like 'Back to the Future' or 'Jurassic Park', it has an energy to it that draws you in over and over again. I wouldn’t necessarily make a point of sitting down to watch the DVD, but even now, when it comes on TV I almost always end up watching the whole thing. :laugh:

For 'Ultron', I thought they equaled the action and wit of the original, but some of the fun factor of the first one lay in the clear lines and the breeziness of the plot, and Joss Whedon simply didn't have that luxury this time around. 'Phase 2' has prioritised the ongoing MCU arc, so each individual story is inevitably going to cover more than just the immediate threat of, let’s say, Ronan or Ultron. The introduction and reintroduction of characters, the referencing of what had gone before, and the laying of groundwork for the next wave of movies felt like obstacles to the main plot at times, almost to the point where Ultron himself lost relevance. Basically, the movie was never going to be a leap forward from its predecessor because it had to veer off in so many directions. Overall, I consider it a minor miracle that Whedon was able to pull all the different strands together neatly enough to create another enjoyable summer blockbuster.

I haven't seen it seriously, but I have my methods..The Ultron movie looks like a mixture of a TV sitcom (lots of characters talking, close shots) intermixed with mostly CGI action scenes, also with a lot of close-in shots.  The comparative de-emphasis on worldcrafting/backdrops seems to follow the format of the serial comics.  Avengers had more worldcrafting than Ultron.  This movie is shot similar to JJ Abrams.  He has a similar style- his is very TV series-like. 

I'm not a fan of this directing style personally because I like worldcrafting and only supplementary use of CGI a lot (Miller, Nolan, Scott, Spielburg) and am not really looking forward to the next Star Wars until new developments come in.

The dialogue in Ultron is typical marvel- lots of banter which is entirely like the comic serials, and loyal to that sort of appeal.  Nolan's films minimize banter and tends towards brief statements that contain a series of memorable allegoric/philosophical concepts. 

• 2 months later...

I have watched this movie 2 time. Amazing movie. Great acting and great storyline. Loved that it had humor as well. I was at the world premiere in Norway, and even at midnight I enjoyed the movie. 10/10

• 1 year later...

Avengers_Infinity_War_logo_001.jpg

Avengers: Infinity War
Release Date: 4 May 2018
Directors: Anthony & Joe Russo

Cast (Confirmed)

Robert Downey Jr - Tony Stark / Iron Man

Chris Evans - Steve Rogers / Captain America

Chris Hemsworth - Thor

Elizabeth Olsen - Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch

Jeremy Renner - Clint Barton / Hawkeye

Mark Ruffalo - Bruce Banner / Hulk

Benedict Cumberbatch - Dr. Stephen Strange

Paul Bettany - The Vision

Sebastian Stan - Bucky Barnes / The Winter Soldier

Chris Pratt - Peter Quill / Star Lord

Zoe Saldana - Gamora

Vin Diesel - Groot

Dave Bautista - Drax

Bradley Cooper - Rocket

Samuel L. Jackson - Nick Fury

Josh Brolin - Thanos

Tom Hiddleston - Loki

Benedict Wong - Wong

Cast (Rumoured)

Scarlett Johansson - Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow

Brie Larson - Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel

Karen Gillan - Nebula

Pom Klementieff - Mantis

Michael Rooker - Yondu

Cobie Smulders - Maria Hill

Tom Holland - Peter Parker / Spider-Man

Paul Rudd - Scott Lang / Ant-Man

Evangeline Lilly - Hope Van Dyne / Wasp

Chadwick Boseman - T'Challa / Black Panther

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, the release date for this is still a long, long way away, but production is scheduled to start before the end of this year. Here's what we know so far:

• Principal photography to take place in Atlanta from November 2016 and June 2017.

• First feature film to be shot entirely in IMAX.

• The story will focus heavily on supporting characters.

• At least 67 distinct characters confirmed to appear.

• Every character across both movies will have appeared at least once in a previous entry in the MCU.

• Integrating characters from Marvel TV shows will be "complicated" (the Russos), but the "opportunity exists" (Feige).

• Teasers/trailers/One Shots planned that are "shot specifically for online that will never appear in the movie but that may appear as a kind of short film."

• Events will "span the entire Marvel universe."

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, jkjk said:

Minor correction: Although originally announced by Marvel as part 1 and part 2, the two movies no longer have those titles.

The first movie is now titled Avengers: Infinity War and the second movie has no official title.

Interesting. Guess we'll be needing a slight edit of the thread title too, then. :laugh:

Any idea what the thinking behind the change was?